Space Wolves Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought WIP

Minor update (don't worry I'm not dead - just been way too busy). 

Wanted to add some more detail around the leg armour, so after some hunting around I liked the scroll work you see on the Venerable Dred, but the scale was not right for what I wanted.  The details on the Claws looked promising:

Redemptor 39

Took a cast then trimmed it down level:

Redemptor 40

And this was my 3rd attempt - I was using the low-tac tape method of removing the green-stuff but on the first 2 attempts I did it too soon, so it ripped half of the cast.  This one was left overnight to set:

Redemptor 41

The gem stone is not great, I've noticed not all the detail has come out on the base of it, so I may do another mould to get better detail, my blu-stuff is starting to go off so it is not setting too well.  When I create a mould, I test is using blu-tac to see if the detail level is ok, this way I don't have to waste green-stuff or have to wait for it to set before I know the mould is a dud.

I'm hoping to get this put together this week and get some complete pictures.
Edited by sbarnby71

Way back I said I'd tell you what I use for working with green-stuff, so finally here it is:

Redemptor 42

It's called a "Hougie Score Tool" my Mum does all kinds of crafting stuff and I found it lying around at hers and it's an amazing piece of slightly flexible plastic with a curved pointed edge (sorry I chopped that bit off in the picture), it's the best tool I've found.

When I work with green-stuff I make sure it is really sticky, roll it into a small ball then drop it onto my mould, then with a wet finger push it into the mould and slightly flatten it, trial and error on this, just make sure the finger is wet otherwise the green-stuff will stick to your finger instead of the blu-stuff mould.  Now get the Hougie (make sure it is wet and keep wetting it through the whole process) and start in the middle of the mould and scrape/push the green stuff away, the more pressure the better and this is where this tool is great, it will only flex slightly so you can add lots of pressure and (so far) I've not snapped one.  Then work in the other direction and scrape the other half of the mould.  For bigger moulds you may want to work in 3 or 4 directions, but always start from the middle and work outwards.  Always make sure the mould is supported well as I've snapped a few by adding too much pressure.

I'll try and get some picture of the process, but I'll need someone else to take them, so keep watching.

When I started out making moulds with blu-stuff I made them way too thin and too small to try and conserve by the blu-stuff, but I've found the mould is easier to use and will last longer if you create a mould about twice the size of the item you are casting from - you can see that in the picture of my moulds.

The Hougie can be found here: http://hougiecrafts.com and look for the "Hougie Score Tool"

Edited by sbarnby71

• 2 weeks later...

After several attempts with the scroll work moulds, this is what I ended up with:

Redemptor 43

The first 2, I tired to remove from the mould before they were set enough so using the low-tac tape just wrecked them, the 3rd worked but the final bit of scroll work is not attached to the main section so I think it's going to be a nightmare to attach with superglue.  One idea I did have was to keep the scroll work on the tape and stick the tape to the model, it will look crap until it's painted but might work.

Moving on to the power first, I'm still not happy with the wolf head I used from Spellcrow, so played around with some other options and I think I like this better, but I've not changed it yet (I have a Long Fang skull on the front armour plate and this is a Grey Hunter totem, so I'm trying not to mix them).  I think I'll use it on my next dred that I convert:

Redemptor 44

Plasma Cannon next, I took the charm/fetish chain from the Assault Cannon from the Venerable Dred and attached it to the end underside (this is only held on with blu-tack at the moment as it's pretty fragile):

Redemptor 45

The cannon still needs some more work, I want to add some extra cabling but don't have any at the moment, so will need to go on the hunt.

Edited by sbarnby71

I still wanted to add some more detail and I was drawn to the leg hinges, the ones on the hips are a good size and I was going to add some Wolf Skulls but thought it was starting to be a bit samey.  Quick rummage through the bits-box in particular the Dwarf bits and these shields stood out:

Redemptor 46

And massive luck they are exactly the same size as the hinge cover:

Redemptor 48

Need to remove the hand and handle inside the shield - to get a good fit you need to shape the bit you cut out to be round like the rest of the shield :

Redemptor 47

Then remove some of the domed hinge cover and the rivets:

Redemptor 49

And you can get a really nice close fit:

Redemptor 50

In hindsight if I had not added these domed hinge covers it would have been less work. 

Edited by sbarnby71

Added some detail to the power plant, this icon was taken from the Venerable Dred kit (got a bit of undercoat on that from another project):

Redemptor 51

I was not happy with the small Gems on front armour sections, so I took cast from the Venerable Dred axe:

Redemptor 53a

and replaced it, think it looks a lot better.  Also I added a fetish chain on the left front armour and then added an extra rune at each end, will tidy this up later to make it look like it's fixed to the armour:

Redemptor 53

Edited by sbarnby71

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update as I've been away for about a month so this has all just ground to a halt.

I've been trying out to some ideas with the Plasma Cannon to integrate the Wolf Skull a bit better, tried adding some optics but they were just too fragile.  Now working on adding extra power cabling to make it feel more experimental, will see how this goes.

Only picture update I have is I gave my Dred a codpiece, what self-respecting warrior would go to war without one?

I made a cast from the top part of the smoke-launcher  from the Venerable Dred kit (shown in the inset).  The cast was quite thick so I superglued it at the top first, then once set stuck small sections down until it curved the groin section:

Redemptor 54

I've been working on getting some more runes from dwarf shields and that, so hope to get an update on that.

Keep you posted and thanks for look and all the comments!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally replaced the small gem that I was not happy with on the forward facing plate of the right shoulder armour with the cast I took from the Dwarf Axe, think it came out quite well:

Redemptor 56

Had played around with a lot of ideas to finish off the Wolf Skull on the Plasma Canon, but this worked out the best.  I took the chain thing my girlfriend got on her boots she bought last week, cut off 2 of the ball sections, inserted a pin into the hole left by the join between the balls:

Redemptor 57

The pin was cut down and I drill out a hole in the cabling on the skull to accept the pin and this was super-glued in place.  I also added some runes to the body, these were cast from some dwarf bits I had:

Redemptor 58

Final bit was I cut the head from the pins I used earlier to make rivets to add to the wold pelt on the right shoulder armour so it looks more fixed in place:

Redemptor 59

Thanks for all the encouragement folks, I know I need to get on and paint this.  I figure I've just need to get the base done and then I can start painting it.  There will be some minor additions once painted, I tend to add wolf tails on something this big after the bulk of the painting is done (as I tend to end-up breaking them off!).

I know it will annoy a few of you out there, my paint scheme is the baby-blue Wolves colour, you've been warned. :-)

Thanks for all the encouragement folks, I know I need to get on and paint this.  I figure I've just need to get the base done and then I can start painting it.  There will be some minor additions once painted, I tend to add wolf tails on something this big after the bulk of the painting is done (as I tend to end-up breaking them off!).

I know it will annoy a few of you out there, my paint scheme is the baby-blue Wolves colour, you've been warned. :-)

also if you want more bits to make press molds from look at the wulfen kits, there shoulder pads and trophy racks are great

Very nice work on the moulds, the chain section works really well as the sizes are spot on, really looks like it was meant to be there.  I do find chains very hard to take a decent cast from. 

I think if you go for a "worn" paint scheme then the wear and tear on the moulds will fit really well. 

Started to build and pose the legs.  Now is it me or is this kit just stupidly difficult to get the legs posed if you keep to the guide pieces inside the leg sockets, every time I think I've got it right it ends up look pi55ed! 

Anyway while I struggle getting the legs right I did some extra bits, first up I had a cast from the front section from the Venerable Dred:

Redemptor 60

It's already curved so it fitted quite well on the muzzle of the Plasma Canon (should be easier to see when painted):

Redemptor 61

Redemptor 62

And then a small wolf skull added to the rocket pod:

Redemptor 63

Also gives another angle on the piece added to the Plasma Canon muzzle.

I still think the top plates of the main armour need something, but maybe I've leave that for a painted pack marking.

Thanks for looking folks,

Edited by sbarnby71