Space Wolves Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought WIP

I still really like the light blue of the 40k... About 20 years ago I went to the Fox Glacier in New Zealand and saw a ice tunnel that was the blue of the Wolves (light blue into dark) and it's always stuck with me, the landscape and colours made me think this would be their home.

Big thanks to Triszin for sending me some moulds of the knot-work from the Stormfang, hoping to add these to the leg armour:

Redemptor 71

The cast I've done may end up being too fragile when it comes out of the mould, if so I'll try a different method of keeping more greenstuff as a thin base for the symbols.

Thanks again Triszin

Edited by sbarnby71

Tried out the casts of the knot-work, the one on the left side of picture worked better as it had a very thin layer between each part of the knot-work so it held its structure, one on the right is more delicate but warped as I applied it.  Going to try again with the right hand side:

Redemptor 76

Also added some extra detail to the legs:

Redemptor 75

Got better results with leaving a thicker base layer of green stuff under the cast and then trimming:

Redemptor 77a

Leg knot-work with first layer of RuneLord Brass applied:

Redemptor 78

And knot-work applied to the left & right top plates, with an additional piece at the front:

Redemptor 79

Edited by sbarnby71

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the base colours now.  Never had so much hassle with paint just rubbing off when I handle a model, but then I've not worked on a dread or vehicle with the newer GW paints.

Anyway here he is and I'm happy with the colour scheme:

Redemptor 80

I know the crazy blue of the wolf head on the shoulder armour looks odd, but I want it to look like ice - so keep watching.

Yeah tried fixing bits so I'm not holding the model directly but also find it rubs off just by it being placed on a sponge that I use to stop it resting directly on the work table.  I've started adding a coat of Lahmian Medium over the offending colours once I've done a layer, it does help a bit.  I get that the layer paints are thinner so more likely to rub away, but I even get it on Mephiston Red which is a base.  Ah well.

• 1 month later...

Finally.........done!

May I present Triszin of the VI Legion

Redemptor 81

Redemptor 82

Redemptor 83

Redemptor 84

Redemptor 85

Redemptor 86

It's been fun building him, but as you can see I'm the worlds slowest painter (started this whole project back in August last year).

Going to try and get some better pics with my SLR as the colour looks a little washed out in these.

Hope you like.
Edited by sbarnby71

Looks epic! This project was worth taking your time over. Youve made a 1/2 decent model into something great! Tones and tones of character, i just wish gw would see models like this and see potential in making better upgrade sprues for the redemptor.

Whats next?

Looks epic! This project was worth taking your time over. Youve made a 1/2 decent model into something great! Tones and tones of character, i just wish gw would see models like this and see potential in making better upgrade sprues for the redemptor.

Whats next?

Thanks for the praise. :-) I am really happy how this turned out.

As for what's next. hmmmmmmmmmm...

• So I bought 2 Redemptors and had planned this to be a prototype for the 2nd one, but I like this one just fine.  But my plan for the next one is a totally wrecked Dred down on one knee, missing main weapon arm, just fending off an attacker with a half broken Power Fist.
  • I've made a single Primaris Reiver out of the box of 10, so that's an option.
  • There is a Land Raider been sat half painted for 15+ years that could do with some Wolf skull on it.
  • I had a crazy idea when the Beastclaw Riders Stonehorn came out to make that with a Terminator Lord on it's back.
  • but this is the next project...

Gabriel Angelos (Artel W)

I was lucky enough to get this before GW forced this miniature of production, he is the Chapter Master from the Blood Ravens (Dawn of War video game).  As soon as I saw the running pose I knew I wanted to convert him.

So watch this space.