Space Wolves Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought WIP

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

This looks so cool!  I'm particularly impressed by the quality of your casts from the liquid blu stuff.  Can you step through your process for this?  I can imagine casting a block of something with it, but a fine item like runes on a cord I can't even picture how you do it.

EDIT: I imagine it's the blu stuff putty?

Edited by Chazzmos

This looks so cool!  I'm particularly impressed by the quality of your casts from the liquid blu stuff.  Can you step through your process for this?  I can imagine casting a block of something with it, but a fine item like runes on a cord I can't even picture how you do it.

EDIT: I imagine it's the blu stuff putty?

Thanks!

So yes it is blu-stuff putty.  So with the cord on the runes it's a tricky process, but what you want is to get the item you are casting from to be as flat as possible, so I use some thick see-through plati-card, I then apply a layer of clear tape and then super glue the item I want to cast to the plasti-card, the clear tape means once I'm done I can peel off the tape and the item without messing up the plasti-card.  The trick is a very smooth surface at apply the blu stuff to.  So I then apply the blu stuff and make sure I pinch it in to make the best seal I can around the item - as the plasti-card is clear, I can turn it over and check from underneath if I have a good seal.  After that it is just a bit of luck if you end up with the groves for the cord.  The nesxt trick is pushing your green stuff into the mould with a lot of pressure (I mention the green tool I use in this thread), this allows you to get green stuff into the mould and hopefully end up with minimal waste on the sides that would need trimming. 

So I'd say a lot is down to just taking your time getting the mould as good as you can and then being patient with trimming any excess later.  With the cords on the runes on this project, it was a little easier as they were being stuck to a flat surface and I was still able to do some more trimming once the bit was stuck down.

Hope that helps.

Edited by sbarnby71