Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is this the first time space marines have lost options?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Flame Boy

Flame Boy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 813 posts

Although not invalidating models it was quite annoying when 2nd edition rolled over to 3rd ed and Terminator squads could no longer equip any Terminator weapons. Separating one Terminator Squad into a shooty squad and a melee squad was a pain considering I was buying the squad one Terminator blister pack at a time with pocket money. *flashback noise* :P

Not being able to tool up assault squads after 3rd was a bit lame as well. I do feel sorry for the people that lost chunks of their army (or their whole army for Black Templars).

Ebon Hand

Ebon Hand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 245 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars
I really missed having double power fists in my assault squads as Black Templars back when we were in the Armageddon codex. It was because we didn't have sergeants. Once the Black Templars codex rolled around I had to rip off some power fists and give them chainswords. It's a good thing I didn't use plastic glue lol.

My Assault squads have never recovered their glory days of punching down Wraithlords and Deamon Princes since then... That is until I get around to modeling them into Vanguards.

We also lost biker crusader squads where you could have Neophyte bikers attached to the squad for ablative wounds. I was lucky I stopped building them when I heard of the coming codex, so I didn't have to rip away anything in that case.

On the Emperor's Champion topic, every chapter has the Chapter Champion now, that's their version of the Emperor's Champion. What you think Black Swords grow on trees? :D

Edited by Ebon Hand, 11 August 2017 - 07:46 PM.

gallery_38474_6916_3702.jpg
black_templars.jpg
Thought for the day: He who counts his ammunition, counts his blessings.

spacepup

spacepup

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 187 posts
Space wolves lost the access to the Lemann Russ Exterminator tank in 4th edition I think. I still pray for its return.
  • Ebon Hand likes this
spacepup

Ebon Hand

Ebon Hand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 245 posts
Yeah I always liked that they had that as token of their bond with the Imperial Guard. You could take one now as an auxiliary but it should be in their own army list with Marine ballistic skill.
gallery_38474_6916_3702.jpg
black_templars.jpg
Thought for the day: He who counts his ammunition, counts his blessings.

Ulfgrim Alvsbane

Ulfgrim Alvsbane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,739 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines

Have Space Marines never lost options or had models invalidated with a new codex before?

Codex Marines? I'm not sure.  I can tell you with certainty that Space Wolves have had to deal with it though.  Once upon a time, Grey Hunters had an ability called True Grit - they could fire a boltgun one-handed (so it worked as a pistol in close combat) and you could equip a chainsword in the other hand for an extra point.  Essentially it was like your basic assault Marine but the gun had a longer range.  Naturally it was worth the point to give each GH an extra attack for two close combat weapons - and this was when a chainsword wasn't just a fancy knife.  It actually had stats besides just user's Strength.

Long story short, a later edition of the Space Wolves codex eliminated the trait.  I remember having to decide between snapping the arms off all of my Grey Hunters or consigning them to the shelf.  It's why I am always reluctant to commit to finishing an army, and why I'm always suspicious that despite their promises, GW will screw me eventually.  Currently, it's just "you won't need a bunch of books and White Dwarfs to play" (yeah, we see how that's working out) but I don't dare paint some of my new stuff up as Wolves or Dark Angels because there's no guarantee they won't eliminate the ability for those chapters to take some of the new stuff.

"We come home to pray, to reflect, to remember, before we journey back to the stars.
Hatred keeps us crusading, Regret brings us home. Shame always calls us back." - ADB

Ciler

Ciler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,718 posts

Funny enough, that particular thing is back. grey Hunter can have a bolter and a chainsword again.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. Revelations 6:8
Album link, Thread on the BT subforum

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,430 posts

2ed made all SW, and all BA armies non legal, unless someone build them the wrong/how GW shows in on the box kind of a way.

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

Schlitzaf

Schlitzaf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templar: Dalthus Crusade
As long as I played, SW never really lost true grit. Because when their Codex was updated for 5th Edition atleast for Grey Hunters, they got Bolter/BP/Chain, which is effectively True Grit mechanically speaking but better (sense you keep your attack on the charge which True Grit had you lose if you charged). Also everyone else remember the BT (I think it was generic originally but because BT Codex stayed in the 4th Era) of the 3 Point Storm Shield Assault Squads?
PEbafT7.png?1http://www.bolterand...althus-crusade/
Wish List:
BT Crusader Biker- http://www.bolterand...igensian-squad/
BT Primaris Crusaders - (WIP)

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,551 posts
No, they can't take shuriken catapults anymore.

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_11765_15606.jpggallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX

Ulfgrim Alvsbane

Ulfgrim Alvsbane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,739 posts

They can take that loadout, but you're either going to model them with a two-handed weapon or two one-hand weapons.  And I'm sure there was a point where Bolter/Chainsword was not a valid combo, because I wouldn't have gone to all the trouble if it was.

I've also got a Swiftclaw that would only be valid now if I buy more bikes, because the loadout of the previous squad can't be done unless it's a larger squad now.

"We come home to pray, to reflect, to remember, before we journey back to the stars.
Hatred keeps us crusading, Regret brings us home. Shame always calls us back." - ADB

Cap'm Heckus

Cap'm Heckus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 402 posts
  • Chapter Name: ACD: Agamemnos Civil Defense
By the Emperor, I miss neophyte bikers in my marine bike squads. It had a nice aesthetic.

Did anyone mention jet bikes? Marines had those in RT days. Under 2nd ed entire assault marine squads could have just about any combo of weapons. Every guy. It was cumbersome having to roll each model's attacks individually so that change might not have been so bad.
  • Ebon Hand likes this

" We have failed to uphold Brannigan's Law. However I did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars?"  -Captain Zapp Brannigan

http://heckusminis.wordpress.com/

gallery_29004_6198_4761.png

Ulfgrim Alvsbane

Ulfgrim Alvsbane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,739 posts

Yeah, I remember my Blood Claw jumpers had all kinds of options.  Plasma pistols, hand flamers, power swords and fists... it was crazy and I can see why they changed it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users