The Nihilus Crusade - Vindicator Heresy

Your Stormraven is well done. I'm surprised you omitted the gun turret, though. Was it for aesthetic reasons?

Yes, I really dislike the turret, the raven is too short without being too tall as well. I also thought the roof an odd place for a turret. It's really hard to see here, but the Assault Cannons are mounted underneath the fuselage. I simply glued the nose turret from the StormTalon over the original cross hole for the flying base, and cut a new one a bit further back. The other advantage of losing the turret was I could cut down the air intake. I think the result is much more aerodynamic looking.

Cool colour scheme, really top-notch stuff there. The overall effect you mentioned is great, at least from what I can see in the photo. Maybe some defects might show upon closer inspection, but that's not something I'd care for, really.

A shame that the rules created to support the models in the actual game are so random and unstable. One day something's great, while the other... not so much. That is why we should take pride in the models we have.

Thank you, everytime I decide to paint something large white I remember why I don't do it very often. Everything took a load of coats, but I am overall pleased with the result. It's definitely a battle ready model as opposed to display, but I hope it will make a nice centrepiece on the field. The rules change was a pain, but it nerfs the Crusader more than the Raven. Which can at least fall back and shoot.

I saw the captn magpie website. He rocks.

Now i need to start saving for a stormraven.

Thanks...

He may be insane, but in a way which inspires.

Your Stormraven is well done. I'm surprised you omitted the gun turret, though. Was it for aesthetic reasons?

Yes, I really dislike the turret, the raven is too short without being too tall as well. I also thought the roof an odd place for a turret. It's really hard to see here, but the Assault Cannons are mounted underneath the fuselage. I simply glued the nose turret from the StormTalon over the original cross hole for the flying base, and cut a new one a bit further back.

Great idea! Thanks for the inspiration!

The other advantage of losing the turret was I could cut down the air intake. I think the result is much more aerodynamic looking.

I personally intended to omit the dorsal air intake altogether, allowing the dorsal turret to rotate 360 degrees. Of course, the air intake won't obstruct a ventral turret.

• 5 months later...

Having read, and agreed with Chaplain Matthias' recent thread. I have realised I have been very remiss in updating my own Crusade Thread. So remiss in fact, that I have slightly struggled to work out how much I have finished since the last updates!

I've been pretty busy, well, as much as possible with all of the IRL stuff I've been getting on with. So I have decided to share the highlights.

First of all, I finally got round to my Knight! Some of you may have spotted I created a thread in the Ad-Mech sub-forum for my progress, but what started off as a single knight to bolster my crusade with a super heavy, has since spiralled out of control into my own custom Knightly 'household'! (I understand that this a pretty common dilemma for Knight owners, one begets many...)

My 'household' is in fact a Knightly Order, there's a fuller description in that thread (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/357081-knights-on-the-eternal-crusade-the-anthonian-order/?p=5415205) but I wanted to come up with a reasonably fluffy reason why multiple Knights could continually fight alongside Templars. I think it's a pretty good back story, and one which I'm not precious enough about to not want other Templar players to copy. All I really wanted to achieve was something which wasn't just another Knight painted like a giant space marine!

In terms of Templar progress, I have now completed all of our characters. Helbrecht, Grimaldus, a Champion and even (The now traitor) Draco. Draco has had some conversion work to carry a chainsword and jump pack, and I use him as a Marshal Law with Teeth of Terra. Here are the Champion and Grimaldus, which are my favourite:

med_gallery_100735_13648_89303.jpgmed_gallery_100735_13648_20759.jpg

I've also now completed some Primaris additions to the Crusade, I have about 15 Intercessors painted up now, and I currently have my first Repulsor on my painting desk, almost completed.

I really wanted the Repulsor to fit in with the rest of my tanks, which meant it had to have a reasonable amount of Templar iconography. First I managed to make the Rhino doors fit with a little scraping and persuasion. I then decided to make some blue stuff moulds of the Land Raider insignia from the Upgrade Sprue, and make some icons for the front and elsewhere, here's how it's coming along:

med_gallery_100735_13648_1178787.jpgmed_gallery_100735_13648_153815.jpg

I'm particularly pleased with how the front panel insignia turned out, (despite some distinctly dodgy looking, and probably out of date Milliput…) All I need to do now is highlight it, finish off the Techmarine and then paint on some battle damage to hide how badly I cut those vehicle crosses off of the sprues...

Edited by Brother Adelard

• 1 month later...

In addition to winning my first game.last week, I also - finally - finished my BT Venerable Dread!

Here he is in all his dark glory:

gallery_100735_13648_460346.png
Edited by Brother Adelard

Ooh! Did you make the sword and helmet?

The helmet is the original. The sword is a 3D scan of the upgrade sword, upsized and then shortened to compensate for the stubbiness!

It may be officially out of production, but I picked this one up on eBay, it's almost certainly a recast, but I don't find recasts of OOP models as morally problematic.

• 5 weeks later...

I found myself at a bit of a loose end last week waiting for the new sisters to arrive after I finished my first squad and my canonesses so I decided to start working on the Infiltrators my wife bought me for Christmas. I've put in a reasonable amount of time this week, and most of today to clear the first five and here they are:

med_gallery_100735_13648_147182.jpg

I opted for a mix of the two kits, so I can play them as either. This is my preferred load out as I dislike the look of Incursors, but wanted the knives. (They seemed more appropriate for Black Templars).

I also managed to kitbash a helix adept using the spare parts I had left over after building my Apothecary, and I'm pleased with the result. It's annoying the Helix is only in the Vanguard set from Shadowspear/Start Collecting, so I'm happy I had the spare arm and servo-arm from the full apothecary.

I also thought the mini-tabards looked appropriate for troops who are meant to be more mobile and sneaky than standard troops. I just need to track down some more before I can finish the squad.

The left pauldrons are a third party kit from a Frater on the forum, they are found here: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/731379255/black-templars-vanguard-shoulder-pads?ref=shop_home_active_16

I took a bit of a punt on these, but they are rather good. I like that the Maltese Crosses are proud, but not moreso than the rims.

(A bonus point for anyone who can spot the obvious mistake I made painting this squad. I promise I will rectify it later!)

• 6 months later...

Played my first two games of 9th today. 25PL crusade games.

In game one I took:

Jump Marshal with Hammer

5 Incursors

5 Grab Devastators

Company ancient (proxying in my Bladeguard)

Drop pod.

Mission one was assassinate. My opponent (Death Guard) had:

Malignant Plaguecaster (WL)

Foul Blightspawn

5 Plague Marines

Plagueburst Crawler

He was the defender and drew up in a bubble around his WL (Wise)

I deployed the Incursors as close as I could in cover, and the Jump Marshal behind them.

I got turn one and dropped the pod in, the marshal and Incursors pushed forwards and I was able to get the marshal within 6" of the devs.

My first mistake, in hindsight was dropping in top close. I should have dropped further away from the bubble and spent an extra turn shooting the crawler. As it went, I almost killed the crawler with the Devs. Lost a couple to shooting, was charged by the Plague marines, who killed two more, losing two in return, leaving the Power Fist SB surrounded.

Turn two I advanced the Incursors within change range of the plaguemarines charged them with the ancient as well, and charged the warlord with the Marshal.

The Incursors polished off the plaguemarines, saving the SB, they all then consolidated towards the rest. The Marshal whiffed and didn't manage to kill the Plaguecaster. His turn two he fell back with the WL and toasted my marshal with the Blightspawn. (My second mistake was not holding the WL in combat with my Marshal using the strat.)

Turn three my Incursors charged the WL, killing him. The ancient didn't manage to kill the Blightspawn, and the SB almost killed the Crawler. The Blightspawn then killed the SB.

The Crawler then toasted the Incursors, leaving just the Ancient locked in with the crawler and the Blightspawn, who eventually ran, leaving the Crawler free to toast him as well.

An effective tabling, but I took the win because the mission is skewed towards killing the enemy WL.

The second game was a slight change up. He took the same list, but I swapped in a AC razorback and chaplain for the Marshal and Pod. We played sweep and clear. My chaplain and Incursors took objectives while the Razorback holding the rest of the units focussed on the Crawler.

The Devastators polished off the Crawler in turn two, in one round of amplified shooting. It exploded and took out three of the plague marines, he did little in return as he plodded forwards.

My next turn I tabled him. The Razorback killed the WL, I then charged into the rest with the Ancient, Devastators and Chaplain.

The fight last ability the Blightspawn has is a real crippler, and gives me a real idea of how powerful the Judiciar is going to be. Movement is massive this edition, and the ability we have to make ground with units like Incursors is massive.

Madly, I now have more wins in 9th than all of 8th...