The Nihilus Crusade - Vindicator Heresy

• 1 month later...

Some slow progress on my Indomitus box, the Bladeguard are almost done, (Just two highlights, basing and transfers) but I took this afternoon to push the Castellan who was being batch paintd with them through to the end, (just to have a cheeky little win and a dopamine hit!)

Here he is:

med_gallery_100735_13648_31873.jpgmed_gallery_100735_13648_38160.jpg

This is a great model, and a really easy one to Templar up. Because the Sword and shield are so easy to swap out. I'm also experimenting with making my highlights almost deliberately less neat, which has the weird impact of making them look, IMO, better.

Edited by Brother Adelard

I knew from the moment I saw the Judiciar that the head needed to go. I just can't stand it. After a lot of discussion, pondering and searching, the ideal replacement to me was the head of the Interrogator Chaplain, it leans into the whole executioner thing much more than the silly face mask.

Then yesterday, when I pulled out all of the sub-assemblies for the Judiciar, which I had put together on release day, I realised that I had accidentally used his backpack on the Lieutenant. So I decided to kitbash a new one, using some parts from the various interrogator chaplains I had bought for their heads. I used the incense burner from Seraphicus, and the skull vents from the standard interrogator chaplain.
In addition, I had seen a cool conversion someone else did with a servo-skull holding the Tempormortis, I wanted to do something similar, and well, here is the result:

med_gallery_100735_13648_56748.jpg

And the backpack rear:

med_gallery_100735_13648_39897.jpg

Yes, it's magnetised. I have no clue how I would transport him otherwise!

Putting the tempormortis in the cyber-cherub's hand is a brilliant idea. What will you put in the Judiciar's hand, now that he no longer needs to hold the tempormortis? A severed head- maybe Abbadon's own, hanging from the traitor's topknot? A second sword? A pistol held sideways? Leave it empty, but modify the hand so the Judiciar is pointing a finger at the next sinner to taste his blade?

I wanted a pointing hand, and I had one in my bits box. But it was a right...

Now he's just sort of beckoning sinners to him. "Come to me children, and taste of the Emperor's Mercy."

I want to suggest you assemble a model of an enemy of the Emperor- Traitor Marine, Chaos Daemon, foul xeno, or an effigy of Matt Ward- but drill a hole through its torso, so you can pose the Judiciar with his fist punching straight through this enemy like a Mortal Kombat character performing a Fatality. That will require a LOT of time, effort, and money to do competently, though.

I wanted a pointing hand, and I had one in my bits box. But it was a right...

Now he's just sort of beckoning sinners to him. "Come to me children, and taste of the Emperor's Mercy."

I want to suggest you assemble a model of an enemy of the Emperor- Traitor Marine, Chaos Daemon, foul xeno, or an effigy of Matt Ward- but drill a hole through its torso, so you can pose the Judiciar with his fist punching straight through this enemy like a Mortal Kombat character performing a Fatality. That will require a LOT of time, effort, and money to do competently, though.

Yeah... Or maybe not?

• 5 months later...

Oh, and I wrote some fluff to justify the heresy:

'Tacet Venandi'

"As the Nephilim Crusade's assault on Argolish ground  to a halt against the Necron invaders. Marshal Meinhard reluctantly had to consolidate his forces and take a more defensive posture in order to draw the Xenos forces into an ambush. As the urban warfare became more protracted Meinhard ordered the Crusade's anti-armour vehicles; primarily Predator Annihilators, Gladiator Lancers and Repulsor Executioners to take hull down positions within ruins and punish any Necron constructs who braved the columns of fire.
Forgemaster Ulrich, custodian of the Crusade's relic Deimos Vindicator Laser Destroyer, had it repainted in a novel disruptive pattern, to further disrupt the Necron's visual sensors while Ulrich deployed other counter measures to prevent detection.
The scheme proved very successful, as did the change in tactics. As the Necrons' assault faltered within the ruins of Argolish's capitol. Meinhard was able to redeploy his infantry by thunderhawk and drop pod, and mount a successful counter attack."

Thanks! I have one more to paint, which will be this tank before/after the contingency pattern. (FW sent my mum the first tank with two left side panels and no right. They then replaced it with a whole new tank! I then managed to convert the spare left panel into a right using the plastic side panels that are spare in the kit.)

I now have three with my Mars pattern conversion!

Edited by Brother Adelard