How to make Raven guard paint scheme?!

Kimbo

Hi all!

Im looking for help on how to make a RG paint scheme that is the fastest and tabletop standard.

I will only use gw colours...please list what paint you used!

Would love to see pitxures on how you painted them!

Sadly there's not really a way to cheat on edge highlighting in terms of saving time other than leaving it at one colour instead of using a couple.

For the colour I'd use abbadon black with a bit of kantor blue in it for a base coat, mix with a bit of white scar for a dark grey and do a zenithal drybrush, blackwash the crevices, highlight with eshin grey 

Abbadon black to base for sure. For white helmets and arms, layer Ulthuan Grey over the base.

I think Warpstone Glow looks great against the black for 4th Company shoulder pads trim, or the Imperial Laurel on helmets, shoulder pads, legs, and back/jump packs.

Now for any gold bling on Commanders, veterans, and Dreadnoughts, I use Warplock Bronze or Mephiston Red for a base, then layer on Gehenna Gold. With the bronze, it is sparklier, but with the red the gold really pops.

White helmets for Sergeants and generic commanders have Abbadon Black eyes. Black helmets have Mephiston Red eyes with a dab of Wild Rider Scarlet for detail.

Purity seals are Mephiston Red for the seal, and Ushtabi Bone for the scroll, with super fine black marker scribbled on.

I have a different take on black that has worked well, goes on quickly, and provides depth. I use Vallejo but you could easily use GW colors. I don't know the names but the concept is the same:

Mix Abbadon black with the darkest grey GW offers. This will give you a nice base coat. Wash that with Nuln oil and your black is done. You'll have a nice, rich, black that's not flat since the wash will help to give some color variance. Paint any other details before the wash and you're getting those done in a single step.

Depending on how gray your mix is you may need too layers of wash, that's what I end up doing.

The best bet is for you to look at this document:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/CitadelPaintingSystem.pdf

You will want to pickup the bases and the layers for the white and one of the 2 black choices(just get the base and the layers+the ink shade) that should cover 80% of what you intend to do.  Additional paint can be needed for metal and probably a gold color.  Then whatever else you need to cover the rest(something for flesh and paints for seals,pouches, piping/wiring and for the shoulder trim on the models).