Riot Earps Admech Blog

Riot Earp

Hi everybody. I collect Skitarii and Ad Mech since the Starter Boxes got released.

I have a bunch of Skitarii and Ad Mech units but i´m laking on essential units like Breacher and Destroyers or Dragoons.

Im always looking for cheaper resolutions to build an army and buy many stuff on ebay or convert myself some moddels.

I´m gonna show you some thoughts about units. Show you my converted stuff and will post some Bat Reps with Pics. So stay tuned. ;)

Actually i got just a good deal about 18 Servitors (of which are 7 Tech Thralls without weapons sadly) for 40 £. My Plan is to youse theam as cheap heavy weapon platforms.  2 Plasma cannons or  2Heavy bolter on them are my faves. I stand them in Cawls bubble so they get 4+ and reroll to their hit rolls. They get an 3+ in cover and 2 have their servo arms for some cc action. Through the Techpriest rule from cawl they get +1 to bs and ws what is not bad with the rerolls cawl provides. They also get a use as meatshields against charger.

What are your thoughts. Is there a place for servitors in an admech list? Ofcourse i´m not gonna bring them to a turney XD

Edited by Riot Earp

Heavy scrubbers- uh, bolters are their only unqiue thing that they do well. S5 AP-1 is a role only filled by phosphor in our army, which is an expensive heavy support weapon. Many cheap HBs are the way to go. Plasma is done much better by destroyers and vanguard.

Servo arms might be an interesting thing to look at for a CC focused ad mech army.

Nah, I just can't see a place for them. 2 guys with heavy weapons and 2 guys with terrible close combat weapons... There's just no reason for taking them beyond just wanting to use them. They have nothing that they do better than other units, so they just end up being a bland "filler" choice gamewise. I have plenty of conversions myself, so I really want them to be good, or at least have more options. Servitors in the fluff can be kitted out to do pretty much anything, so this current incarnation in the rules system just rankles with me.

In an ideal world we should be able to kit out arco-flaggelant-like melee servitors that spring into action when the Magi are threathened. We should be able to rouse up menial kitchen servitors with rolling pin appendages and vacuum cleaners attached to their arms in a desperate attempt to defend the Manufactorum. We should be able to construct various forms of elite and chaff servitors suited to entirely different roles and with entirely different looks to them. Not just 2 dudes with servo arms and 2 dudes with a heavy bolter at best. I mean - which theme does that fit with? The blandest forgeworld in the universe? We fell in love with the mechanicus as the insane scientist mystics who churn out hilarously grimdark things like the gimp-servitor run mecha ostrich that is possibly powered by a perpetual motion device, but is currently used by posthuman supersoldiers to actually joust against gun-wielding opponents. Or the insane black hole weapon that has to be shot from capital ships by way of a huge slingshot that takes thousands of slaves hours to rewind. Two dudes with a terrible wrench each and two dudes with heavy bolters is just... Not living up to my image of them. Maybe if they could mass them in huge, shambling hordes of terribly inaccurate heavy weapons squads with a few flavorful rules at a minimum.

Well that are good all good points.
And I dont think a new codex will bring some change into this unit sadly. I will play 4 with two heavy bolter on thuesday.

My armys Hq will be lead by Cawl and two priest..

http://i.imgur.com/NnL8CCA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jAnfFzs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ilZPlYq.jpg

Edited by Riot Earp

Had today a game vs chaos renegades. He got first round and we played a malstrom mission with 6 on the start. Ive got the side with only two objektives and got mainly only missions i could not archive.

++ Aux Detachment (Imperium - Inquisition) [6 PL, 97pts] ++

+ HQ +

Inquisitor Greyfax [5 PL, 85pts]

+ Elites +

Acolytes [1 PL, 12pts]
. Acolyte: Laspistol, Power maul

++ Brigade Detachment +9CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [89 PL, 1753pts] ++

+ HQ +

Belisarius Cawl [13 PL, 250pts]

Tech-Priest Dominus [7 PL, 135pts]: Macrostubber, Volkite Blaster

Tech-Priest Dominus [7 PL, 135pts]: Macrostubber, Volkite Blaster

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL, 75pts]
. Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus): Transuranic arquebus
. Ranger Alpha: Galvanic rifle
. 3x Skitarii Ranger

Skitarii Vanguards [4 PL, 78pts]
. 2x Skitarii Vanguard
. 2x Vanguard (Plasma caliver): 2x Plasma caliver
. Vanguard Alpha: Radium Carbine

Skitarii Vanguards [4 PL, 64pts]
. 3x Skitarii Vanguard
. Vanguard (Plasma caliver): Plasma caliver

Skitarii Vanguards [4 PL, 58pts]
. 2x Skitarii Vanguard
. 2x Vanguard (Arc Rifle): 2x Arc rifle

Skitarii Vanguards [4 PL, 58pts]
. 2x Skitarii Vanguard
. 2x Vanguard (Arc Rifle): 2x Arc rifle

Skitarii Vanguards [4 PL, 75pts]
. 3x Skitarii Vanguard
. Vanguard (Transuranic Arquebus): Transuranic arquebus

+ Elites +

Corpuscarii Electro-Priests [3 PL, 70pts]: 5x Corpuscarii Electro-Priest

Fulgurite Electro-Priests [4 PL, 80pts]: 5x Fulgurite Electro-Priest

Servitors [4 PL, 52pts]
. 2x Servitor (Heavy Bolter): 2x Heavy bolter, 2x Servitor
. 2x Servitor (servo arm): 2x Servitor, 2x Servo-arm

+ Fast Attack +

Sydonian Dragoons [3 PL, 68pts]
. Sydonian Dragoon: Taser lance

Sydonian Dragoons [3 PL, 63pts]
. Sydonian Dragoon: Radium Jezzail

Sydonian Dragoons [3 PL, 63pts]
. Sydonian Dragoon: Radium Jezzail

+ Heavy Support +

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 143pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether
. Neutron laser & cognis heavy Stubber: Cognis heavy stubber, Neutron Laser

++ Total: [95 PL, 1850pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

He had three bikesquads one prince with relic, two dragons, one hellbrute one Mailerfiend with 10 attacks some noise marines and some cyborgs.

I had a good first turn and destroyed one dragon and the maulerfiend but he made all his charges and bind my onagers. In the second not much was left. Greyfax smited a little bit but couldt deny warptime two times. One TPD died in overwatch against one drake. (Shame) 3 stave priest died in overwatch vs two flamers. In the end i got stomped by chaosvin turn three there was only some rangers and two onagers left.

I made several mistakes but the overall situation was not in my faves. Will dish the brigade detachment and play more effizient units and fewer hqs.

You can find some pics here. Battle vs Chaos Renegades https://imgur.com/gallery/aGIiq

Edited by Riot Earp

My opinion about the arquebuse. They are totally not worth it.

If they where 15 Points a pop maybe but i never did any damage to my enemys warlord with 2 arquebuse and two jezzails.

Vanguards where fine especialy with overcharged plasma all the time. I will exchange the arquebuse with plasma and some arc rifles here and there. they have not enough strenght and rend to scratch the vehicles. Rangers where okayisch the -1 rend helped to kill some biker.

I liked the servitors in the range of an techpriest for kg & bf buffs and the heavy bolter shots did some damage. Will take 3 units with 2x heavy bolter each to screen my TPD or cawl.

Also will give the castelans a try.

I have some custom Kastelans but they are a way to big sizewise (Cheap Hulkbuster Toys from ebay).

My new low priced solution are gundam model kits. especialy the

Hi-Mock

The Grimoire is also an fitting model but i like the robotic look of the Hi-Mock more.

You can get them for 6,42 $ and the Grimoire for 11.23 $ a piece.

https://hlj.com/

I will build my datasmiths from leftover bits. Stay tuned.

Edited by Riot Earp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So with the Codex infos we got i´m sure i will play a unit of dragoons here and there.

I have just three ironstriders (two laser which i buyed used) and im converting them all to both Ironstrider Dragoons. 

I have to make two custom Taser Lances out of q-tipps.

Here is the Prototype.

KwcqjQv.jpg

9XecoSq.jpg

Maybe i magnetize the arms later if i have magnets in stock again.

Good idea to try and convert out some Dragoons.  I've long wanted to run a max unit of these guys down the flanks in a characterful sweeping charge, but my wallet can't bear the strain at the moment.  Now that the new dex is out, though, it may be time to give 'em a try . . . 

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first game after the codex dropped.

I took an Mars brigarde with cawl and friends.

++ Brigade Detachment +9CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [109 PL, 1848pts] ++

+ HQ [19 PL, 354pts] +

Belisarius Cawl [13 PL, 250pts]

Tech-Priest Enginseer [3 PL, 52pts]: Omnissian Axe, Servo-arm [12pts]

Tech-Priest Enginseer [3 PL, 52pts]: Omnissian Axe, Servo-arm [12pts]

+ Troops [24 PL, 310pts] +

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL, 90pts]
. 2x Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus) [66pts]: 2x Transuranic arquebus [50pts]
. Ranger Alpha [8pts]: Galvanic rifle
. 2x Skitarii Ranger [16pts]

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL, 40pts]: 4x Skitarii Ranger [32pts]
. Ranger Alpha [8pts]: Galvanic rifle

Skitarii Vanguards [4 PL, 45pts]: 4x Skitarii Vanguard [36pts]
. Vanguard Alpha [9pts]: Radium Carbine

+ Elites [15 PL, 240pts] +

Cybernetica Datasmith [3 PL, 52pts]: Gamma pistol [10pts], Power fist [20pts]

Fulgurite Electro-Priests [8 PL, 136pts]: 8x Fulgurite Electro-Priest [136pts]

Servitors [4 PL, 52pts]
. 2x Servitor (Heavy Bolter) [24pts]: 2x Heavy bolter [20pts], 2x Servitor [4pts]
. 2x Servitor (servo arm) [28pts]: 2x Servitor [4pts], 2x Servo-arm [24pts]

+ Fast Attack [9 PL, 204pts] +

. Sydonian Dragoon [3 PL, 68pts]: Taser lance [9pts]

+ Heavy Support [42 PL, 740pts] +

Kastelan Robots [24 PL, 330pts]
. Kastelan Robot [110pts]: Heavy Phosphor blaster [15pts]
. . Heavy phosphor blasters [30pts]: 2x Heavy Phosphor blaster [30pts]

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 140pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether
. Neutron laser & cognis heavy Stubber [50pts]: Cognis heavy stubber [5pts], Neutron Laser [45pts]

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 140pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether
. Neutron laser & cognis heavy Stubber [50pts]: Cognis heavy stubber [5pts], Neutron Laser [45pts]

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 130pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Icarus Array [40pts]

++ Total: [109 PL, 1848pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

I played vs an tournament ork list

with 3 zapperguns

Gazkhull in tank with boys

1 weirdboy who ported 30 boys

+2x20 boys in big tanks

1xtank with 13 rocket guys

We played hammer and anvil, 3 malestrom cards and 4 eternal war objektives.

I made the big mistake and positioned almost everything on the front screened by skitarii but to close to had a chance.

He got first turn and i missed the ini steal.

He then shooted @ my dragoons with the zapperguns (S8 d6 shots) but they stayed untouched.

the tankbusters shot one onager down to 5.

A little bit shooting but no casualties. He then ported the 30 boys infront of my lines and got the charge of.

He killed 1 skitarii squad and binded the other and the 3 dragoons as my elecro priest.

The dragoons and priest slayed a lot in the back.

in my turn i stayed in place and just removed the dragoons and the priest out of combat and moved them forward.

I activated the kastelans to doulbe tap per stratagem and tried to get the tanks open to slaughter some orks.

My 3 onagers where needed to open just one battletank after vanguards did nothing to the tank..

my rangers tried to snipe some tanks but did not wound. the other rangers and vanguards killed he boyz which chared and the kastelans killed the orkz which disembarked from the destroyed tank. The priest charged two battle tanks giving one 4 mortal wounds (they leaved combat because my opponent had to remove to many orks so they could charge) tried to hold the embarking orkz a little.

In his turn gazkulls squad could not move through my priest but his other squad moved around my priest wall.

The tankbusters had two squiqs which passed 6 wounds on the kastelan killing one despite i acitvated the stratagem which gave him the fnp 5+ against mortal wounds..

The shooting from the tankbusters finished the last two kastelan of. Gaz and obys killed my priest but i activated them bevore they could hit becaus one boysquad attacked cawl and took just two mortal wounds on gazkull (boy that 5+ fnp on him is crazy)

My Datasmith got one wound and cawl got three in the hand to had fight. Datasmith wiffed his attacks and Cawl killed 4 orks in total.

In my turn the dragoons attacked gaz´s boys killing a good bunch.

i backed up with cawl and the smith and finished that boys in shooting.

Killing also some boys from gaz´s squad. My tanks killed one battle tank on the right.

In his turn he killed both dragoons with gaz aktivating the auto explode stratagem to pass only one wound on gaz but he made his fnp...

His orks moved along his objektive. one tank attacked my rangers on the left flank killing none. Gaz got not his charge of.

In my turn i destroyed the tank from the tankbusters killing one boy in the explosion.

I shot everything what could in gaz but he remained untouched. i charged cawl the servitors the datasmith in and took only two wounds of gaz.

In return he punched my archmagos back to mars.

At this point he was leading 8-2 malstrom points and had 4 Eternal war objektives so i conceded..

Lesson learned. Orkz are fast in comband and can bind your firepower.

I should have positioned way back in the field as the hammer and anvil was perfekt for my shooty list..

I would have soften his tank one round more and would not have lost my kastelans so early. Well next time orkz next time..

Pics follow tomorrow. Stay tuned. :)

Sounds like a fun game!  Ghazghkull is a monster no matter how you slice it, so it was a tough match up from the get-go.  In the minimum you got some experience regarding your army; any thoughts about adjusting units for the next one, or just focusing on the overall strategy first?

Looking forward to the pics!  :)

Well it was fun. But i raged somethimes wenn the xth reroll from the big pile of command points is another one :wacko.:

I´m fine with the damage output. I must learn the efficient use of stratagems. I totally forgott to push the ws of the dragooners. They had exploding lances on 4+ and had caused allot of more damage. I did´nt miss the rules of other forgeworlds but this was because i fought a melee oriantated army. No need for -1 ap negation or hard to hit buff. I even had no use for deep strike. The reroll from the 9 cawl bubble is incredible and i´m going to use the bubble and learn how to use it effectly.