Converting phased plasma fusils

AndyNoMore

I need quite a few phased plasma fusils, and I was wondering has anyone converted these? Any suggestions how to do this?

I'm tempted to be lazy and simply use plasma guns, but it doesn't feel right.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Forge-World-Thallanx-Cohorts.jpg

Any advice or ideas are very much welcome!

I'm tempted to be lazy and simply use plasma guns, but it doesn't feel right.

I was totes tempted AND lazy AND simply used plasmaguns. As you predicted, it wasn't quite right. Evidence below.

2 examples here in the centre, picture taken to answer this question quickly. On the centre-left is the "good as it gets" imho. On the centre-right is the clear risks & limitations of this technique.

What I did was clip a plasmagun behind the glowy vents portion. Then I clipped just the Lightning Gun's barrel (careful here) in front of the first "cap" (the thick bit) with the top tube intact. Not sure what that top tube does, so kept it there as not to further affront the Machine God.

gallery_57329_13636_578868.jpg

The centre-left one was as seamless as they turned out (I converted 4 of these, these 2 just being the most prominent examples of okay and bad). Happened by a happy accident, which turned out to be an useful technique. My plasmagun clipping was imperfect, not a straight 90 degree perpendicular cut. It was like 5 degrees off, and I had to offset by carefully filing the lightning gun. However, because it's at an imperfect angle, when glued together, it hid the seam from the front.

The centre-right was the most classic chop-off-one-end-and-glue-it-on, resulting in an obvious seam that screams "you REALLY just stuck the end of a plasmagun to the end, didn't you?" Kept it as a data point to remind myself "don't do it like this again."

Final other detail was the posing of the Thallaxes to hide this on the tabletop. I took the picture at an angle to really show the risks & limitations of these conversion, but their poses actually really disguise them in-game. They're pointing the barrels at the opponents and holding them so the hand goes over it (I imagine like a minigun, to emphasise this was their special/heavy weapon), hiding the flaws. Also, the off-hand, if put under the gun, doesn't quite match where the "fore-end" of the plasmagun anyway.

As before, not showing these because I think they're perfect, but precisely because they're imperfect and worth learning from, wanted to show you the experimental data. In retrospect, maybe should have used something like the Eldar plasma weapons instead? Dunno, worth further investigation.