Aggressive Destroyer Lord?

TheShredder

Has anyone had any success using Destroyer Lords aggressively (like the old Wraith Wing lists), rather than just having them babysit Destroyers?

I ask because I have a couple of them and I'd love to have them lead some fast melee units up the board. However, I don't know what to put them with (Wraiths? Praetorians? Scarabs? A Combination?) or whether it would be any good. 

Has anyone had success in 8th with aggressive Destroyer Lords? If so, what did you use them with?

Otherwise, any suggestions regarding what might work?

i have not seen destroyer lords used aggressively by necron player i have faced.

IMO. i can see a destroyer lord being used agressively if you are facing T3 armies. Otherwise, i'd wait till new codex (might?) breathe some life into the destroyer lord and allow it to be more aggressive.

i have not seen destroyer lords used aggressively by necron player i have faced.

IMO. i can see a destroyer lord being used agressively if you are facing T3 armies. Otherwise, i'd wait till new codex (might?) breathe some life into the destroyer lord and allow it to be more aggressive.

You're probably right, but from what I've heard the Necron codex might well not drop until after Christmas - so that'll be quite a wait. :wacko.:

I plan on using one amidst some Destroyers/Heavy Destroyers with Wraiths lingering about as combat support. They look pretty sticky in combat and phylactery (honestly how do you even say that word) makes them resilient but as a BA player as well I know full well that he'll get murdered in combat against any dedicated cc unit.

Maybe if you're interested in Praetorians they would be a good accompaniment to a Destroyer Lord (and his obvious team of Destroyers to capitalize on his buffs) since they're another fast enough to keep up.

It would be really cool if there was some sort of combat oriented Destroyer unit in the works. Pretty easy to toss some warscythes and Lychguard heads on the torsos; see also every Destroyer Lord conversion out there :lol:

The thing is, if you're getting a Destroyer Lord 'stuck' in melee, you're misusing him. His abilities and stats are clearly ranged oriented, designed for use with a shooty gunline of destroyers. I know the line might be "I'd rather not have him babysit Destroyers" but that's what he's made for. Usnig him for other things has a lesser chance of finding success.

If you're feeling you must with him despite that, then have him move up with a pair of Heavy Destroyer folks. The Heavy Destroyers can move and fire up the field with him, he benefits their shooty, and they cover him as they close the gap.

The thing is, if you're getting a Destroyer Lord 'stuck' in melee, you're misusing him. 

Agree to disagree. :wink:

His abilities and stats are clearly ranged oriented

I think you mean ability, for he only has one that relates to shooting and not melee.

Also, by what possible measure are his stats 'range-oriented'? 

His WS and BS are the same and he actually has more attacks than the regular Overlord, which is a clear indication that he's supposed to be a melee-combatant.

I know the line might be "I'd rather not have him babysit Destroyers" but that's what he's made for. Usnig him for other things has a lesser chance of finding success.

Except that this clearly isn't the case. It might be what that one ability is made for but it's not what the Destroyer Lord himself is made for.

If you want further evidence for this, I invite you to consider the Destroyer Lord's choice of weapons.

How many weapons does he have?

He has 4.

How many of those are melee weapons?

All of them.

How many of them are guns or have a ranged component?

One of them.

What is the range of that one gun?

12".

Does he have any other guns or shooting attacks?

No.

You are trying to argue that a model with what amount to a pistol is supposed to be specially designed for a gunline role. I'm sorry but that's just not true. The Destroyer Lord was clearly designed for melee in every way except for his aura.

The thing is, if you're getting a Destroyer Lord 'stuck' in melee, you're misusing him. 

Agree to disagree. :wink:

His abilities and stats are clearly ranged oriented

I think you mean ability, for he only has one that relates to shooting and not melee.

Also, by what possible measure are his stats 'range-oriented'? 

His WS and BS are the same and he actually has more attacks than the regular Overlord, which is a clear indication that he's supposed to be a melee-combatant.

I know the line might be "I'd rather not have him babysit Destroyers" but that's what he's made for. Usnig him for other things has a lesser chance of finding success.

Except that this clearly isn't the case. It might be what that one ability is made for but it's not what the Destroyer Lord himself is made for.

If you want further evidence for this, I invite you to consider the Destroyer Lord's choice of weapons? He has 4.

How many of those are melee weapons?

All of them.

How many of them are guns?

One of them.

What is the range of that gun?

12".

Does he have any other guns?

No.

You are trying to argue that a model with a pistol is supposed to be specially designed for a gunline role. I'm sorry but that's just not true. The Destroyer Lord was clearly designed for melee in every way except for his aura.

Edited by TheShredder

This may be a misstep on my part. I apologize. Allow me to clarify: I don't mean to suggest he isn't good in melee, I mean to suggest he isn't made for seeking melee. As in charging up the field. His buffs to Destroyers along with his melee weaponry suggest his intent is to counter-charge or deter chargers from getting at the Destroyers. His place on the gunline is to ensure that it remains a gunline. Hence, 'babysit'.

This may be a misstep on my part. I apologize. Allow me to clarify: I don't mean to suggest he isn't good in melee, I mean to suggest he isn't made for seeking melee. As in charging up the field. His buffs to Destroyers along with his melee weaponry suggest his intent is to counter-charge or deter chargers from getting at the Destroyers. His place on the gunline is to ensure that it remains a gunline. Hence, 'babysit'.

Ah, okay. I see what you mean now.

Back in the day destroyer lords just wanted to punch face and were feared for their melee ability. Didn't they have rage or some such special rule that made them extra strong in cc but able to be kited round the board by cunning opponents? Wraiths used to work well with a destroyer lord in cc but for some reason during 6/7th edition it become less common probably due to them being shooting strong editions. Wraiths were still a strong cc unit but I don't know how they are fairing in 8th?

Back in the day destroyer lords just wanted to punch face and were feared for their melee ability. Didn't they have rage or some such special rule that made them extra strong in cc but able to be kited round the board by cunning opponents? 

I don't think they ever had such an ability, no.

Wraiths used to work well with a destroyer lord in cc but for some reason during 6/7th edition it become less common probably due to them being shooting strong editions.

Back in the day destroyer lords just wanted to punch face and were feared for their melee ability. Didn't they have rage or some such special rule that made them extra strong in cc but able to be kited round the board by cunning opponents? Wraiths used to work well with a destroyer lord in cc but for some reason during 6/7th edition it become less common probably due to them being shooting strong editions. Wraiths were still a strong cc unit but I don't know how they are fairing in 8th?