Hey guys! Now that Primaris are a thing, I've decided to abandon the True Scale project I was slugging along with.

Instead, this thread will document the building of a 40k Word Bearers force with plenty of kitbashing goodness. There'll also be a bit of Death Guard and Imperial Fist stuff thrown in; from the Dark Imperium box mainly.

I like the idea of my Word Bearers primarily being Heresy Era traitors, so I decided to incorporate a fair bit of Mk. III. Not only do I like the look of it, but it gives me an alternative to those awful CSM legs!

Here's the first 4 Marines, they're WIP, and I still need to conceptualize the champion - it'll be a 5 man squad.

http://i.imgur.com/kxFlGNc.jpg?1

Although I'm a big fan of unique poses, I'm a sucker for that default "Shooting Marine"; there needs to be at least one.
http://i.imgur.com/OWJCBlM.jpg?1

I was quite happy to see that 5 man CSM squad can take a heavy weapon now, because I like 5 man teams and Heavy Bolters are cool.
http://i.imgur.com/Wm0cfbV.jpg?1

I'm going to need to conjure a clever way to get pauldrons on this guy.
http://i.imgur.com/o93kAnC.jpg?1

The lighting is a bit harsh, but the models need plenty of cleanup with mold-lines etc so there's no need for it to be perfect yet.

Let me know what you think, and as always C&C is appreciated :smile.:

First guy looking good, and as for the last one's pauldron, perhaps using something alternate - I'd probably use a slim Chaos Mauraders pad, or a Tartaros one ?

Thanks! You're right, I'd have liked to try out something alternate but my bitz box is limited to the default pauldrons at the moment - so a bit of hacking and slashing sufficed. 

This guy is nearly ready for some basing and paint. One last thing I think I'll do is cover his right shoulder joint with some GS chain-mail or something, it's a bit ugly.

http://i.imgur.com/Xuqim6I.jpg?1

The squad champion; nothing particular inspired, I just threw a few spiky bits on him to denote seniority. 

http://i.imgur.com/934pG3B.jpg?1

I'll throw some paint at these guys after I put some basing material on them, I think I'll go for a snowy city-ruin.

As always, C&C is appreciated :)

The pointing guy with the chained bolter looks spot on too me, I like the champion but I'm not sure if his pose is abit static compared to the rest of the squad?

All in all looks a great start and looking forward to seeing more

Yeah the champion is a bit static - I'm finding that Marines with the Pistol/CCW combination are a little more difficult to contort in to something interesting; at least without much heavier conversion work.

Here's some blu-tac concept of a Sorcerer. I recycled some of the old 'True-Scale' material I had, something I think I'll do for most characters.

http://i.imgur.com/LSHY1ky.jpg?1

I also added some small extras on to the first squad.

http://i.imgur.com/13WUhv9.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/EeIPMdD.jpg?1

Finally, 2 Marines from a new 5 man squad, with Pistol/CCW's.

http://i.imgur.com/DApJ2hb.jpg?1 

http://i.imgur.com/M8MQhRD.jpg?1

As always, C&C is appreciated :smile.:

Cool guys, great choice of parts, really makes them characterful. I applaud all attempts to make the csm plastics look better and you've certainly succeeded with that! 

A small suggestion, the chains look cool but maybe don't put on every marine. It takes away a bit from their individuality if you know what i mean, less is more and all:wink:

• 2 months later...

Cool guys, great choice of parts, really makes them characterful. I applaud all attempts to make the csm plastics look better and you've certainly succeeded with that! 

A small suggestion, the chains look cool but maybe don't put on every marine. It takes away a bit from their individuality if you know what i mean, less is more and all:wink:

Appreciate the feedback! You're definitely right about the chains; I have them on all of the bolters because I didn't like how the only dude not carrying his rifle happened to have a sling. There's no reason for them to be on the other guys, so I ended up taking them off.

Contrary to what I originally thought, I'm finding it more difficult to create cool poses with close combat troops - at least without resorting to heavier conversion work.

Never the less, I've brought this thread back from the grave in appeasement of Nurgle; complete with a vow! In addition to these 2 squads of CSM, I'll be whipping up an Exalted Champion, Raptors, a Helbrute and those lovely Dark Imperium Plague Marines.

What do you do after making a vow? Paint?

No, you create objective markers.

jYWkv3b.jpg?1

Oe9DO9e.jpg?1

My focus hasn't entirely been derailed, I did assemble my Champion

K7gS7UE.jpg?1

I'll have to sort out a better system for photography shortly.

As always, C&C is welcome :)

Finished off the final 2 guys for the squad, which means all of vowed units are now built and ready for paint - after some basing.

PMW8Suh.jpg?1
hrogS7x.jpg?1

The squad's champion;
769SNkp.jpg?1
4AK4siD.jpg?1

I definitely ripped off the idea for my champion from one of Lexington's Word Bearer's, because they're awesome.

Finally, I finished up the base for my Helbrute; the rim needs a quick tidy but other than that I'm happy.
F2jpEsb.jpg?1

C&C is welcome :)

I really like these new guys, so full of character. I had a similar idea to the one resting a chainsword on his shoulder, glad to see that it works out! And the champ is cool too, that knife always bothered me on the stock model. It nice and all, it doesn't scream champion though:)

I really like these new guys, so full of character. I had a similar idea to the one resting a chainsword on his shoulder, glad to see that it works out! And the champ is cool too, that knife always bothered me on the stock model. It nice and all, it doesn't scream champion though:)

Thanks! Yeah, the chainsword thing works fine with a little work; all I did was shave down his forearm where it connects to the elbow. 

I agree with you on the champion. I actually got the conversion idea from another I had seen somewhere. It was a Word Bearer's Aspiring Champion with a Power Sword, Bolt Pistol and bare head - I thought it was really cool.

Very nice conversions. I much prefer these kind of Chaos Space Marines than the usual mutation-filled ones. Keep it up. :thumbsup:

I definitely agree with you there, they're also way easier to do!

To avoid painting everything in a scheme I didn't like, I decided to paint up a test mini.

He's not completely done; his backpack just has a basecoat and the rest of the model still needs some touchups and highlights, but enough is there to give a fair idea as to the final product. Let me know what you think!

JC2y7Mv.jpg?1

gTV2knk.jpg?1

I don't think I've ever been happy with a Bolter than I've painted. I've always found that they looked unfocused, or improvised - if that makes any sense. So I decided to throw caution to the wind and paint it almost white, and I kinda like it.

• 2 weeks later...

@ Pearson73 Thanks!

@LordVelype You know, now that you mention it I can definitely see it!

So I've been mass painting my vow for this year's CoC. I've just finished up the first squad of CSM, with the rest not too far behind...ish.

So here we are!

My 'bog standard' Marine.
tl0Iun8.jpg?1

'Frag out!' with some final details.
mfvfZoc.jpg?1

Icon Bearer.
5aQfYc4.jpg?1

The Heavy.
QFG4MTO.jpg?1

Finally, the Champion.
EDGHxkb.jpg?1
YALoL3t.jpg?1

Group shot.
5pLL3ZA.jpg?1

Overall I'm quite pleased with how they've turned out, considering it's the most I've painted in nearly 10 years. Though the painting is a little messy - certainly not my neatest; but given how much I'm going to be painting I didn't want to risk burning out. 
I was particularly happy with how the plasma pistol's coils turned out; all it is, is a white basecoat with a couple of 'glaze' thin coats of Xereus Purple.

Quick edit: I forgot to mention that sometime in the future I will add the legion icon to their pauldrons. The reason is that I want to freehand them, but my freehand needs some work first.

Let me know what you think :biggrin.:

• 2 weeks later...

@Chaplain Dosjetka Thanks!

Decided to finish up the Exalted Champion. I'm not entirely happy with the overall quality of his paintjob, being the first time painting this particular mini, it suffered a bit from 'not knowing what the hell I'm painting' :P

It's an issue I'm having with the Helbrute too, it should be done soon but all that blending of flesh and metal is a test of concentration :wacko.: 

Never the less!

l6gdxVQ.jpg?1

gZoDKfl.jpg?1

More to come soon!

Let me know what you think :)

Thanks! They're Word Bearers, I've just altered the scheme a bit for personal preference.

Here's the Helbrute:

vN36SFS.jpg?1

4uYGWp2.jpg?1

I'm a big fan of this model, I know some prefer a more traditional Dreadnought but I think it looks cool. However, due to my lack of foresight, I did not paint it in sub-assemblies; I found out the hard way that it's an awful model to paint when fully assembled lol.

A little spice is definitely something CSM need, thanks!

I decided to create a little bit of battlefield scenery from scratch,

ZANlKC4.jpg?1

I didn't have a lot of material on hand so for a base, I used part of the packing for Elixir guitar strings, and decorated with broken up cork tiles and bark. I've still to throw some sand on it, but I think I'll leave it quite spartan.

I'm quite interested in seeing what I can conjure up, maybe I'll incorporate some cans, straws and kitchen rolls next time; scratch building is a lot of fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished painting the choppy CSM squad. Over the course of painting them, they've grown on me a bit; I think I prefer this squad over the first one now.

f8kiKyB.jpg?1

B8mLmJw.jpg?1

ANymvqh.jpg?1

vzQ4RCD.jpg?1

q8usneK.jpg?1

HjUCta0.jpg?1

Some of the images are a little blurry, I may try to snap some better ones later on.
Over the next few days, I'll be blasting out a Raptor squad and some Plague Marines. I'm pretty excited, because I've never painted either before.

Let me know what you think!

Archived