Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Games Workshop Sutton Coldfield Bans Forgeworld Models

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

Emperor's Furor

Emperor's Furor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,948 posts

I wasn't sure whether this was appropriate here or elsewhere so feel free to move it. A new manager has just taken over GW Sutton Coldfield and he's banned the use of anything not sold in the shop, including Forge World. This has caused a lot of outrage and a lot of the regulars are quite upset to the extent they are looking to go elsewhere.

If you'd like to check it out here's the post on FB it sprung up on.

https://www.facebook...705941286139152

Edited by Emperor's Furor, 12 August 2017 - 07:15 PM.

• Dark_Master likes this

L_T_Banner_V2.jpggallery_48988_6285_17537.png

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,320 posts
  • Chapter Name: Confessors

I was sure whether this was appropriate here or elsewhere so feel free to move it. A new manager has just taken over GW Sutton Coldfield and he's banned the use of anything not sold in the shop, including Forgeworld. This has cause a lot of outrage and a lot of the regulars are quite upset to the extent they are looking to go elsewhere.

If you'd like to check it out here's the post on FB it sprung up on.

https://www.facebook...705941286139152

Well, something tells me he probably won't be manager for very long.  

• Morticon, Bulwyf, Kastor Krieg and 2 others like this

Cactus, on 04 Mar 2013 - 13:10, said:

The_Chaplain hath spoken so here endeth the debate! 

Check out my space marine DIY, The Confessors here

gallery_29004_6198_9307.png 35499214321_eaf52ccf5f_o.gifgallery_48988_6285_7306.pnggallery_48988_6285_1776.jpggallery_48988_6285_6092.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_2146.pngcatg2.pnggallery_45765_11565_4862.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gif

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,094 posts
  • Chapter Name: Chapter of the Ruined King

lol Poor bloke shot himself in the foot before he even got out of the starting line. :P

• Archon Yllithian likes this

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,113 posts

While it may be his choice to make, I don't think the segregation between FW and GW stuff will win him any customers (especially seeing how selective this segregation is). In fact, judging by the reaction so far, he's lost a few already. Personally, I feel the hobby is niche enough without making parts of it any more exclusive than it already is. These people that say they won't be supporting the store could very well have been people that bought supplies there, inspired others to explore the hobby further by example and would have provided a more welcoming atmosphere purely just by making up the numbers visiting the store. 

Time will tell whether this new manager has made the incorrect decision or not. I wish him the best but I do not hold out hope for him. 

• Morticon likes this
gallery_60566_6038_10057.jpg
gallery_60566_6038_15153.png

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,086 posts
  • Chapter Name: Stoneburners
Maybe GW will finally pull their heads out of the sand and realize that more people would want access to ForgeWorld in ways other than ordering from their online store in foreign currency. If they'd just allow sales though stores, this wouldn't even be an issue for a manager to try and take up.

Edited by Bryan Blaire, 12 August 2017 - 05:28 PM.

• Prot, The_Chaplain, Noserenda and 10 others like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners
Posted Here: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the War and Wolves): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Naryn

Naryn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 90 posts
  • Chapter Name: Mantis Warriors
Had the manager at my local GW make some snide remarks when i came in with lots of Forgeworld in my army as well. I get that they've got numbers to meet, but this sort of negativity really isn't the answer.

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,151 posts

I think it is a wise choice. Stores are often ment for new players, and FW stuff became very good in slots where GW models already exist. Why buy a valk, when the dakka plane is worlds better? Why take [aka buy] a plastic hellbrute when the leviathan is much better. It lowers the sells, shows new players that to play the game they need multiple books, and that the cost of an army is even higher as the resin models are more offten  then not cheap.

• mmimzie likes this

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

Atia

Atia

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,606 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Horus Heresy

Write an email. People like this guy make me sick. He will get a call from his manager and will have to allow FW stuff in "his" store.

Get your daily news, rumours and hobby stuff  http://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/

Get your daily 30k dosis! http://battlebunnies.blogspot.co.at/

My Horus Heresy log (Death Guard, Word Bearers, Khorne Daemons and other stuff tongue.png)

gallery_79873_10444_35192.pngsml_gallery_79873_10492_52344.jpggallery_29004_10383_126.pnggallery_29004_10383_2014.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifL_T_2_2016_Badge_09_Delegatus.jpgsml_gallery_29004_12090_760.pngETL_2016_Medal_02_Primus_Inter_Pares.gifETL_Medal_02.gifETL_2016_Badge_10_Badge_of_the_Artificer

>> Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? <<

MoK

MoK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 394 posts
Considering GW itself has given FW models official approval, he can't say a thing. After all in the FW books it says if a unit is 40k comparable or not. He wouldn't have me as a customer.

deathspectersgt7

deathspectersgt7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,099 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Spectres & More

laugh.png thanks for the laugh . Bring the pitchforks out someone banned fw products a  known GW owned entity from GW stores . The Humanity the outrage . Tomorrow morning said manager written apology appears on Store FB page . In other news .

gallery_70393_10089_14134.png     gallery_45765_11559_21519.png

Aqui

Aqui

++ SUPELLEX IKEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,907 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Dauntless Spirit
GW{ Sutton Coldfield is a local store of mine (I have about 10 or so within 50 miles, including WHW) and it's always been a popular store. I'm rather disappointed by the new manager's decision, but that said, it is at the manager's decision whether or not to include FW models. But then, by that logic, my Sisters aren't allowed in any GW either.

In any case, if people feel strongly about his decision, being confrontational is ultimately not the way to go. Either speaking to him fairly or a letter to Nottingham would be better, more so the latter as it will show that hobbyists really want easier access to FW. They're losing a trick not offering delivery to local stores.

Just remember: Whilst the way he went about this might not be correct, insults and threats are definitely isn't.

Edit: It seems that the post in question no longer exists. If he has deleted it, it's definitely a wrong move by him. All it shows is, is that he isn't open to feedback and refuses to at least acknowledge the customer (as someone who works in sales, NOT doing that will lose more than sales - it's harbours bad will and customers will go elsewhere).

I hope he rectifies this as soon as possible.

Edited by Aqui, 12 August 2017 - 06:02 PM.

• Marqol likes this

The Liber Challenges 2015

My Projects etc | The Liber surgery

"Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you" - "Major" Motoko Kusanagi, Public Peace Section Nine

"Heroes never die!" - Angela "Mercy" Zigler Celestine

"I find your lack of FAITH! disturbing..."

Part of the ECCLESIARCHY train!

Sisters Kill Team lists topic

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,151 posts

Well that depends, who buys more. Do FW sales are added to the limit of monthly sells a manager in a GW store has to reach? Because if they are not, and the shop turns in to a place to play and order stuff from FW, is that that good for a manger. But it doesn't have to be FW, if you had two store and suddenly people started poping up at yours to play, but bought their models online, wouldn't be good for a manger either. To be honest I don't envy people that run GW stores, most of the time they have huge turn over and pay was really bad back in the 2000s[maybe it changed though].

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

The Wolfguard

The Wolfguard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 45 posts

Lets look at this from a logical point of view though. Banning forgeworld is more likely to put people off and stop them spending at all in that store. I know obviously from his perspective it's annoying that people come in with things not bought from himself but that's real life. Your whole army I doubt is bought from your local GW, even your regular 40k whole army probably isn't. What's next? He's going to put a ban on people using models they've bought second hand on there? 

At least if the forgeworld ban wasn't in place then he'd have more people in his shop and more people in the shop means more people there that could potentially spend money. You either have nobody there at all due to the ban (and therefore nobody spending any money even potentially) or you don't ban them and therefore there are people there that could potentially spend money. What's silly is that forgeworld is a sister company to Games Workshop, in essence what he is saying is if it isn't bought from his store you can't use it. He only lets you use GW models bought online because he can't prove where they're bought from.

Or this is my two cents anyway, as someone working with the public I feel this is how most customers would feel about it. From experience as a customer at Games Workshops, the ones that always end up making me buy things are the ones who are really open and chatty and don't mind so much what's going on because they're there for the hobby not for the raw sales.

Then again, it doesn't seem like Sutton Coldfield has all that good of a history with sales etc considering the reviews saying about how it's closed at irregular times etc. Maybe the manager is under a lot of pressure to hit sales deadlines and the like so he's panicked in this decision. I'd love to have sympathy but I feel if you're going to take on a store as a manager this is the type of thing you need to learn to deal with.

Sorry mate, but you've done goofed.

"Two things to note there, Sergeant. One is that there is no such thing as a minor detail. Information is victory. One cannot and should not dismiss any data until one is in a position to evaluate its' significance, and that only comes with hindsight. So all detail is important until circumstances render it redundant."

- Primarch Roboute Guilliman of the Ultramarines.

Frater Cornelius

Frater Cornelius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,618 posts

Wasn't there another case quite a few years back where I manager had no idea what FW was and banned people for using it in the store, thinking those were non-GW models. She got replaced real quick. I am sure this might go similarly.

Be excellent to one another, and lean on your brothers and sisters when your patience grows slim

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,352 posts
Happened in the Truro store a while back. New manager banned all FW models. Some of the big spenders had just built 100% FW heresy armies (before the black books) and the move gutted the customer base overnight. Same manager then began to ask regulars/vets to leave the store if they weren't buying anything...slippery slope.

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_11765_15606.jpggallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX

Emperor's Furor

Emperor's Furor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,948 posts

It seems he's deleted the post now, another bad move imo.

L_T_Banner_V2.jpggallery_48988_6285_17537.png

Atia

Atia

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,606 posts

It seems he's deleted the post now, another bad move imo.

Well, I saved that godlike comment atleast ^.^

gallery_79873_10492_8344.png

• Emperor's Furor likes this

Get your daily news, rumours and hobby stuff  http://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/

My Horus Heresy log (Death Guard, Word Bearers, Khorne Daemons and other stuff tongue.png)

gallery_79873_10444_35192.pngsml_gallery_79873_10492_52344.jpggallery_29004_10383_126.pnggallery_29004_10383_2014.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifL_T_2_2016_Badge_09_Delegatus.jpgsml_gallery_29004_12090_760.pngETL_2016_Medal_02_Primus_Inter_Pares.gifETL_Medal_02.gifETL_2016_Badge_10_Badge_of_the_Artificer

Isinfier

Isinfier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,634 posts
Aye, it would appear as if he's trying to stifle criticism now.

Sutton Coldfield isn't far from me. I think I'll drop in and give him a piece of my mind.

If you're using grimdark unironically you're part of the problem.

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,352 posts
Can you post that to WH community's FB wall?

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_11765_15606.jpggallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX

Atia

Atia

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,606 posts

Can you post that to WH community's FB wall?

Maybe he will change his attitude now? Worst case if people still complain I can always send a nice email to Eddie whistling.gif

Edit: The original post(s) in question:

gallery_79873_10492_48302.png

gallery_79873_10492_5252.png

Edited by Atia, 12 August 2017 - 07:11 PM.

• Damo1701 and Noserenda like this

Isinfier

Isinfier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,634 posts
He doesn't sell clothes in store, either. I suppose he'll be turning it into a nudists commune before long.
  • Noserenda, yodaid764, Kastor Krieg and 3 others like this

shandwen

shandwen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,539 posts
  • Chapter Name: Bluud Raveens
At my FLGW there is no ban on FW, but it might be helpful for FW stuff to be considered like non-GW products, and require a majority of the model to be GW. They do have sales quotas, and people bringing in cool models that draw sales away from the store hurts the store and the manager.
Also, I quit bothering to pay any attention to ratings as rating stores that you will never go to in the first place is dumb. Rating stores down for the manager focusing on his product is bad.
Honestly shame on anyone who rates this store down or complains about the manager who had never even been there before.
  • Irbis and mmimzie like this

Now in Technicolor!

m0nolith

m0nolith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,161 posts
  • Chapter Name: IXth Legion: The Blood Angels
When I make a purchase from GW or FW (which is still GW), I take into account the fact that I can go into a GW store and play a game using said GW and FW models.
If I can no longer do that as a consumer, then I have to question whether my next dollar will go towards a GW product.

Basically, this guy dun goofed.
  • Centurion Jay, sockwithaticket and Isinfier like this

gallery_48988_10980_21879.png  sml_gallery_86352_12089_1713.jpg gallery_86352_11358_29365.png

Instagram : m0nolith_

Isinfier

Isinfier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,634 posts

Honestly shame on anyone who rates this store down or complains about the manager who had never even been there before.

Jog on.

When I make a purchase from GW or FW (which is still GW), I take into account the fact that I can go into a GW store and play a game using said GW and FW models.
If I can no longer do that as a consumer, then I have to question whether my next dollar will go towards a GW product.

Basically, this guy dun goofed.

This is, partly, why I now spend most of my time at my FLGS. I'm happy to buy Games Workshop's products from them but I won't waste time taking them to their stores on the off chance that I can't take them in. Forge World is Games Workshop, and the sooner head office cracks down on these lackwit managers, the better.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,352 posts
Funniest thing I've read all day.

What a total, utter and uninformed idiot.

In Their Fists They Carry Death - The Legiones Custodes

++Heresy WIP Thread: Talons++

++WIP Thread++

++Index Astartes Sanguine Visions++

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users