Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Games Workshop Sutton Coldfield Bans Forgeworld Models

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

Frater Cornelius

Frater Cornelius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,607 posts
While valid, I tend to disagree with sales cannibalism. FW is still a niche market due to its pricing. The store manager himself plays a massive role. The one we have allows literally everything. Even third party, as long as it isn't too obvious. Be lets us use his armies and he has open copies of books before it was a thing, has give-aways of old boxes. He even lets us look into boxes to support a purchase and does regular BBQ in the summer as well store tournaments. And yes, he even tells you when third party of FW are the better option.

The result? Many people, including myself, never buy in a third party online store when we need GW to support his store and give him spare books and bits and whatnot to contribute to the store, because it is an amazing place. And he does allow far more than even a regular manager would and the pay-off is visible. It's all about PR. The guy at our store seems to get it (I hope he does, after a more than a decade of working at GW), whereas the one mentioned in the OP seems to go purely by numbers logic.

Be excellent to one another, and lean on your brothers and sisters when your patience grows slim

GuillimanHeretic

GuillimanHeretic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 34 posts

It sounds like store managers are pretty diverse in their attitudes and what they allow. I'm lucky to have... well I'm probably lucky to have a GW at all in a place as remote as Hobart. My local GW manager had to ban Forgeworld from tournaments recently, but I think that's different. It's to do with people bringing really cheesy, overpowered units to dominate games with, which is essentially cheating in a way. I can still build and paint FW stuff, and (I'm not really a gamer, so far all I have time and money for is building and painting) games vary depending on whether they're casual and whether people agree to use these obscure FW things that they paid so much money for.

I hope it's not a slippery slope. It seems like good PR is so much more important for everything in the long run, sales included, than enforcing strict policies like this.

• Frater Cornelius likes this

#The Guilliman Heresy

Good luck reviving your corpse-god.

reckoning

reckoning

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,232 posts

Eek.

This isn't a policy that I like by any means, but, damn...I wish things like this didn't have to become such incredible pile-ons. The guy is under pressure, and in a normal situation, a customer would complain, and maybe the manager would get a talking-to by Corporate about such things. It's a pretty basic retail management correction issue.

But, due to the dubious blessings of the Social Media Age, this is all over the damned internet today, or at least those parts dedicated the Games Workshop community. I've seen it on Facebook, on Twitter, and here on the good ol' B&C. It's much, much too big for a policy so small and inconsequential. Now that manager will be branded forever as the Forgeworld Hater, and the company will be under a lot of pressure to let him go, assuming he even wants to stick around after this nonsense. It's completely bonkers.

This.

They're resin models...
  • Calgar 2.0 likes this
To Recover The Past Banner

karden00, on 28 Apr 2014 - 21:55, said:
Eh... dark angels couldn't hold the line. Surprise surprise....

RainbowWarrior

RainbowWarrior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 31 posts
  • Chapter Name: Rainbow Warriors
I can understand stores like the Liverpool GW not allowing FW into store painting, since the entries go in the window and are effectively advertising. But an outright ban just seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

D3L

D3L

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 196 posts
  • Chapter Name: XIV Legion

let's not pretend this is an isolated incident or policy, they've been doing this since, well.. 1998

Edited by D3L, 13 August 2017 - 03:45 PM.

• deathspectersgt7 and mmimzie like this

Isolia

Isolia

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 338 posts
There are 2 stores close to where I live that managed it in 2 ways. One did not have a FW-heavy customer base and they did not allow FW, but they told you nicely when you didn't know that, please, next time, avoid FW because it is not possible to sell it in store and is therefore competition. It Is a smaller store that is sensitive to sales drops. Since blood bowl and 8th ed the manager changed this to allow FW on some days as a test, and after checking with you that you don't bring an overpowered unit from FW or too much FW at once to a casual, plastic-only opponent. Fun and retail are the operative words here and we are fine with it because it was both explained to us and done in a smooth, polite fashion.

Another store had a more FW-heavy customer base that was allowed to play their resin, then the store manager changed and banned FW harshly like in the above example. The veterans moved to another store and some to third-party stores, and the new customers often gradually move to other stores.

I prefer the first approach and talking it over with the guy with multiple friends , customers may make him ease the rules a bit?

As for the objectives they have to reach, store sales and store-delivered online sales are two different objectives and, at least on the continent, the second one is anecdotal as far as the regional sales supervisors are concerned in evaluating the stores in their area.

RikuEru

RikuEru

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 671 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves
Meanwhile our Warhammer Store has a Warlord Titan right at the door, heavily customized Knights and some of the FW-Tyranids along the Window and Primarchs and Praetors in the middle of the shop's glass cabinet.
And regular games of 30k.
  • Fenbain likes this

When the Pack runs once again, worlds tremble, enemies die and the Hunt begins!

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpgETL_2016_Badge_08_Badge_of_the_Hero.jpg

Isinfier

Isinfier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,626 posts
Let's not forget that shelf of Black Library books.
  • Damo1701 likes this

"If your enemy has painted his army to resemble the Salamanders, Iron Hands or Raven Guard, you may remove 2/3rds of his army from the field and wash it in horse urine. Then burn it."

Plaguecaster

Plaguecaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,305 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard
Last time I checked it had nothing to do with using FW models for games in stores so it doesn't matter what store owners think or say concerning the matter, yes they can prevent FW being used in games in their store but for something like armies of parade they can't
gallery_79873_10492_48302.png

it all came about because of a question about armies of parade which is a worldwide event organised by the greater GW brand not the store, as such the store has absoultly no right to to ban participants from using FW miniatures in their armies of parade board

Lets look at this from the OFFICAL Armies of Parade website an event created and hosted by GW worldwide

FAQ
July 1, 2016
What is Armies on Parade?
Armies on Parade is a global celebration of your Citadel Miniatures collections, held in every Warhammer and Games Workshop store across the world. This is your chance to paint an army to the best of your ability, and show it off for the world to see.

Why should I enter?
Some enter for fun, some to challenge themselves to complete a painted army in a given time, and some just to join in the worldwide celebration.

When is this year’s Parade Day?
This year, stores will be running Armies on Parade across two weeks, from October 23rd to November 5th. Speak to your local store for exact dates and times.

What do I need to do to enter?
It’s simple: you paint up a collection of Citadel Miniatures and bring them into the store during the Parade Weeks to show them off. You’ll have up to a 2’x2′ area to work with.

Do I have to enter a game-legal army?
Nope. Your collection can have any models in that you like.

We expect a lot of people will pick a themed army based around a force they might also want to use in games, but you don’t have to. Your theme can be anything from “The 2nd Company of Ultramarines during the final battles of the War for Damnos” to “Every Hero of the Mortal Realms” or anything in between.

Lots of the armies on this website have boards – what’s that about?
Many players like to display their collections on thematic boards or alongside relevant scenery or fortifications. You are welcome to do so, provided your board’s footprint is no larger than 2’x2′ (which, wouldn’t you know, is the size of one of our Realm of Battle tiles…).

Do I need to have a board?
No, you are welcome to enter a collection displayed without any accompanying board or scenery.

Does my entry have to be fully painted?
It does. Part of the fun of Armies on Parade is completing a painted collection. Set yourself the challenge, and rise to it!

Is there a height limit on the boards?
Theoretically, no…

However, your local store might have practical issues to consider (like a roof) so may impose a height restriction.

We recommend that you don’t make the board or miniatures taller than the board is wide.

How is the winner in each store decided?
The winner in each store will be determined by public vote.

This year, there will be more categories than just Best Painted with awards going out for Best Theme, Youngbloods, Best Board and more. We’ll have more detail on these soon.

Sounds great, how do I get started?
Start painting!

Armies on Parade might be months away, but it’s never too soon to start painting.

Start Collecting! sets are a great way to embark on a new project, as are boxed sets like Dark Imperium, Thunder & Blood and Burning of Prospero.

More details on this year’s Armies on Parade, coming July 29th, so check back then.

Last time I checked Forgeworld ARE citadel miniatures so doesn't matter what a store owner says they can be entered GW community and the website have even shown plenty of boards with FW and not once have they stated you need your stores permission to enter with FW hell I could enter using only the miniatures from the old rouge trader set and my entry is still considered legal since it uses citadel miniatures , to say otherwise goes completly against GW policy and I have absolutly no sympathy for the store owner getting negative publicity because of it

Edited by Plaguecaster, 14 August 2017 - 06:59 AM.

Nurgle Abominarions: A Host of Decay Revived for 8th​.
UPDATED 29/07/17

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,349 posts
  • Chapter Name: Chaos and Wolves
Guy sounds like a complete door handle.

At least it doesnt have to be a full army. I can do my Ecclesiarchy warband Im planning for InquisiGorkaMundaHeim28. Or my Mad Max ashwasters gang...

Explorer in the further regions of experience; Demon to some, Angel to others.

gallery_60566_6038_826.gifgallery_29004_9303_22505.pnggallery_60566_6038_4617.gif

Blog - Gates of Helvete

“Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.” - Terry Pratchett, Eric

Gothical

Gothical

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,150 posts

Whilst this guy sounds a bit... well, "door handle" above seems to do well enough, there might be some miscommunication. My local store won't let people participating in the special event running for Armies on Parade with Forge World/home-made tiles, but that is because the various hobby sessions related to the product will be outside of normal store hours and purchasing a GW tile is the "buy-in" to help cover the cost of these after-hours sessions and also ensure that there is a standard minimum that everyone in the group will be working with/to on a monthly basis. Maybe that is what the chap meant in relation to Armies on Parade, or maybe not, but I figured I would just throw that out there.

Nah, no one takes a ship like the XIIth. Imagine being stuck in a space-bound tin can with only short hallways to set up firing points. It'd be like releasing a pack of PCP'ed up wolverines (the animals, not multiple Hugh Jackmans) into a locker room and blocking all the exits.

They aren't stuck inside a ship with you, you're trapped on a ship with them. 

However, the First Son and his Templar Brethren are who I'd bet on to defend that ship happy.png

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,349 posts
  • Chapter Name: Chaos and Wolves
Slightly off topic, but can the boards be smaller than 2x2?

Explorer in the further regions of experience; Demon to some, Angel to others.

gallery_60566_6038_826.gifgallery_29004_9303_22505.pnggallery_60566_6038_4617.gif

Blog - Gates of Helvete

“Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.” - Terry Pratchett, Eric

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,094 posts

Whilst this guy sounds a bit... well, "door handle" above seems to do well enough, there might be some miscommunication. My local store won't let people participating in the special event running for Armies on Parade with Forge World/home-made tiles, but that is because the various hobby sessions related to the product will be outside of normal store hours and purchasing a GW tile is the "buy-in" to help cover the cost of these after-hours sessions and also ensure that there is a standard minimum that everyone in the group will be working with/to on a monthly basis. Maybe that is what the chap meant in relation to Armies on Parade, or maybe not, but I figured I would just throw that out there.

This is not purely a tile issue. In the now deleted thread, the manager had forbidden almost any FW stuff. Not 100%, but so close it makes no difference. That's where the heat is coming from. 

gallery_60566_6038_10057.jpg
gallery_60566_6038_15153.png

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Boss Flashdakka

Boss Flashdakka

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 437 posts
  • Chapter Name: Bad Moonz!

Funny thing is, I'm fairly sure White Dwarf has featured armies on parade boards with FW models before! :lol:

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,886 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sanguine Eagles, Death Guard

Can't agree with this policy at all; I expect the majority of people who use Forgeworld stuff use the odd unit here or there and the full FW armies are the exception, not the norm. Even then, your job as a store manager is not to drive those people away, it's to sell them glue, paint, White Dwarf, terrain etc. It's just such a spectacular misfire; he's hacked off loyal customers and due to the post flying around online, he's probably alienated a bunch of his casual customers as well.

I mean, what's he going to do if HQ throw him a sales-bone in the form of another instore-exclusive FW model like the Primus Medicae or Praetor Tribune? Refuse to sell it? Continue to refuse FW even though he now sells FW?

• Damo1701 likes this

gallery_84244_13371_906.png gallery_84244_13422_1322.png

Gothical

Gothical

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,150 posts

This is not purely a tile issue. In the now deleted thread, the manager had forbidden almost any FW stuff. Not 100%, but so close it makes no difference. That's where the heat is coming from. 

Ah, the only picture I have seen from that convo was re:tiles (the question about an Elysian army for AOP was not answered/cut off). Still possible he misunderstood a directive, but given the way one-man stores are run the Store Manager makes pretty much all the day-to-day decisions it would ultimately be his choice re: FW - "door handle" it is then.

Nah, no one takes a ship like the XIIth. Imagine being stuck in a space-bound tin can with only short hallways to set up firing points. It'd be like releasing a pack of PCP'ed up wolverines (the animals, not multiple Hugh Jackmans) into a locker room and blocking all the exits.

They aren't stuck inside a ship with you, you're trapped on a ship with them. 

However, the First Son and his Templar Brethren are who I'd bet on to defend that ship happy.png

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,049 posts

=][= Three pages of indignation which, while understandable, are not constructive nor will they change the situation at hand. Whatever needed to be said has been said, many times over in fact. Time to move on. =][=

gallery_26_548_17394.gif

• Olis likes this

nRoyhsi.jpg

Forum Rules | Imperial Fists (& Successors) | Liber Astartes

'Monopoly just wasn't the same after I called down an orbital strike on Baltic Avenue.' - NemFX

'Also, when you are against Tau it is only Cleanse. The Control part is not necessary.' - SanguinaryGuardsman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users