Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2000pt competitive list ideas

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

USMC-cdenon

USMC-cdenon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

Sons of RUSS!

Preamble:

I have been playing in a large group, 12-14 friends once a week, and while I do manage to win more than I lose, when I do lose it is a complete wash. This group is heavily in favor of chaos and xenos. While xenos poses no real problem, chaos is another story, due to the release of soo many deamon princes (looking at you nipples, *ahem* I mean magnus). Matter of fact, in the last 15-20 games this edition alone, one of the chaos players has been utterly undefeated running lists of multiple deamon princes along side magnus and often times spamming berserkers in rhinos, the guys a bit of a savant when it comes to list building, even spouting percentages of success every time his opponent goes to move or shoot ect. in an effort to give himself a challenge.. I plan on the sons of Fenris giving him that challenge and more..

But enough of the boring stuff, I'm posting here for the first time, seeking wisdom from those longer in tooth than myself. without further ado: 

"Drink deep, lads! The next taste we get will be in the halls of RUSS! Skoal!"

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [33PL, 680pts] ++

+ HQ +

Wolf Lord [6PL, 117pts]: Jump Pack [19pts], Master-crafted Boltgun [3pts], Relic Blade [21pts]

+ Elites +

Lukas the Trickster [6PL, 118pts]

Venerable Dreadnought [8PL, 145pts]: Fenrisian Great Axe & Storm shield

Wulfen [26 PL, 300pts]

• 4x Thunder hammer & Storm shields
  • Wulfen Pack Leader: Frost Claws

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [73PL, 1320pts] ++

+ HQ +

Bjorn the Fell-handed [14PL, 277pts]: Twin lascannon, Heavy flamer, True claw

Iron Priest on Thunderwolf [7PL, 117pts]: Boltgun, Servo Arm, Thunder Hammer

+ Troops +

Blood Claws [8PL, 120pts]

• 5x Blood Claw
  • Blood Claw Pack Leader: Power Fist
  • Blood Claw w/ Special Weapon: Flamer

Blood Claws [8PL, 120pts]

• 5x Blood Claw
  • Blood Claw Pack Leader: Power Fist
  • Blood Claw w/ Special Weapon: Flamer

Grey Hunters [6PL, 96pts]

• 4x Grey Hunters
  • Grey Hunter Pack Leader: Power Axe
  • Grey Hunter w/ Plasma Pistol

Grey Hunters [6PL, 111pts]

• 4x Grey Hunters
  • Grey Hunter Pack Leader: Power Fist
  • Grey Hunter w/ Plasma Pistol

Flyer [14PL, 279pts]

Stormwolf [14PL, 279pts]

• 2x Lascannons
  • 2x Twin Heavy Bolters
  • Twin Hellfrost Cannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5PL, 100pts]

• Twin Assault Cannon

Razorback [5PL, 100pts]

• Twin Assault Cannon

(2000pts on the snout)

Tactics:

• Blood Claws(2 packs) & Lukas the Trickster ride in the Stormwolf. Turn 2 charge w/ before mentioned group, adding 1 to hit rolls for Blood Claws within 6" for Lukas.
  • Grey Hunters riding in Razorbacks, disembarking for objective holding or charging tasty targets
  • Iron priest tagging along w/ Dreadnoughts for healing w/ Venerable dread footslogging just ahead of Bjorn to deny targeting of character.
  • Wolf Lord w/ jump pack tagging along w/ razor backs re-rolling 1's for Razorbacks and Grey Hunters

Any and all advice/ counter lists would greatly help and be much appreciated! 

"On the Darkest night they come, the skywarriors of Fenris!"

Edited by USMC-cdenon, 13 August 2017 - 05:36 PM.

USMC-cdenon

USMC-cdenon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

on a plus note.. i do have quite the collection of models. Odds are if you can see a better unit in this list, i probably have it! 

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,112 posts
I don't there really is a single best competitive list for SW at the moment. Until our proper codex drops we will always be at a disadvantage without the points decreases, stratagems, and other bonuses.

What is considered competitive will also depend a lot on your local meta. Currently, a gunline list centered around Bjorn and a WGBL works better for me and my meta. Your experience probably differs.

From just a list perspective, your list looks decent. I assume the ven dread has the axe/shield and not a thunder hammer?
ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei02.jpgETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg sml_gallery_79710_12195_12198.jpg sml_gallery_79710_12195_16024.jpg

USMC-cdenon

USMC-cdenon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

lol yeah.. that was a typo, its supposed to be axe and shield.

I do agree with the codex issue, hopefully it will drop soon!

I have played around with several lists, some skewed twoards daeling with heavy armour, hordes and characters including everything into my lists from leviathan dreads, saint Celestine, assasinorum and everything in between, but the daemon lists are just plain nasty at the moment!

You said my list was decent.. makes me think that it leaves room for improvement.. any ideas? 

I'm curious as to what your gun line lists look like that you referred to...

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,112 posts
I meant decent in that it is probably as competitive as a SW list can be given our current resources.

What's the plan for the Wulfen?

Another minor tweak is to lose the special melee weapons on your grey hunters and replace them with plasma guns. I'd also recommend a small pack of jump pack wolf guard with storm bolters. I've used them to assassinate Guard characters quite often by jumping over their lines of conscripts to make the officers the closest character.

As for my list, I think long fangs are one of our better units since they have the innate ability to reroll ones to hit. They don't require a baby sitter. 3 long fang packs form the core of my firepower based lists. Sprinkle in 3-4 assault cannon razorbacks with cheap grey hunter packs, Bjorn, maybe a rifleman dread, and you're on your way.
ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei02.jpgETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg sml_gallery_79710_12195_12198.jpg sml_gallery_79710_12195_16024.jpg

USMC-cdenon

USMC-cdenon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

The wulfen was a compulsive add-in, amazing in 7th ed., able to take down nearly any vehicle or character. Problem is, they seem to be a one trick pony, the minute i field them my opponents pour everything they have into them, which usually means they're DOA before they even get into CC. At 300 pts. im thinking, unfortunately, those pts could be spent better elsewhere..

Taking the fists from the GH and the Wulfen out of the list ill need to look at another anti-armour facet with 8th edition being the edition of Dreadnoughts and vehicles..

I have been wanting to test out WG w/jump packs.. list tweaking will ensue

preciate the help wulfgar!

spacepup

spacepup

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 160 posts
I just played a tournament this past weekend. Magnus was a pain with the D6 smite when he rolls high enough. Wound saturation is the way to take him down. I had 2 twin assault cannon razorbacks, Bjorn, and long fangs with lascannons and plasma cannons take him down in turn 2.

I would try to get a rune priest to try and help deny some of the physic (smite) phase. It can be brutal. My opponent had 4 or 5 sorcerers and magnus. It was pretty painful.
spacepup

Evilmerlin

Evilmerlin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 663 posts

I meant decent in that it is probably as competitive as a SW list can be given our current resources.

What's the plan for the Wulfen?

Another minor tweak is to lose the special melee weapons on your grey hunters and replace them with plasma guns. I'd also recommend a small pack of jump pack wolf guard with storm bolters. I've used them to assassinate Guard characters quite often by jumping over their lines of conscripts to make the officers the closest character.

As for my list, I think long fangs are one of our better units since they have the innate ability to reroll ones to hit. They don't require a baby sitter. 3 long fang packs form the core of my firepower based lists. Sprinkle in 3-4 assault cannon razorbacks with cheap grey hunter packs, Bjorn, maybe a rifleman dread, and you're on your way.

How are your long fangs kitted out?

Blister Pack Pattern Drop Pod Count: 4!

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,112 posts
Typically lascannons or missile launchers.

USMC-cdenon

USMC-cdenon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

so this list works.. played a 2k game last night and tabled a blood angels list w/ death co. supplement turn 3. the blood angels player did have some pretty bad rolls..

i don't have the exact list but from a rough memory the blood angels included:

• mephiston
  • 2 units of 10 death co. marines w/ lemartes
  • storm raven w/death co. dread and 10 +/- marines embarked
  • baal predator
  • twin auto cannon razorback
  • 6 man sniper unit
  • twin auto cannon dread

while the list does work, its subjective to a couple things.. 1 being what your playing against, imperium space marines i can see it working, other armies would require some tweaking. and 2 being that you can keep your wulfen out of line of sight until they get into combat (which should always be asap). 300pts of wulfen w/zero shooting and no transport is dicey to say the least.

stand-outs: the wulfen wrecked face, and only because i was able to get them into combat turn 1 and stayed out of line of sight. wulfen took out the twin auto cannon rzbk, twin auto cannon dread, lemartes and 5 man squad of death co. taking advantage of consolidation moves and the close unit grouping.

Edited by USMC-cdenon, 18 August 2017 - 01:53 PM.

USMC-cdenon

USMC-cdenon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

struggling with whether or not the iron priest on TW is really worth the 117 pts.. perhaps a rune priest or grey fax inclusion would be a more rounded list to deal with pyskers.

greyfax + 4 acolytes = 117 pts, and would give me access to smite, deny the witch, acess to some interesting telethesia powers, and potentially 17 wounds before greyfax is removed from the board, hmmm decisions decisions..

Edited by USMC-cdenon, 18 August 2017 - 08:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users