How do you load out your sword brothers?

Talking about sergeants not vets.

Lets say you have a full bolt pistol chainsword squad with a powefist in the mix. What would you put on that squad's sword brother?

What would you give the sword brother for a 5 man las/plas squad?

What about a squad of regular bolter guys?

So far I've modeled two sword brothers. One with a powersword/combi-flamer, and the other with a powersword/combi-plasma.

Really, the load out of a Sword Brother is directly tied to the load out of the Crusader Squad he's with. Here's some combinations I've been running with a decent amount of success-

1 Flamer, Sword Brother w/ Combi Flamer + Power Axe

1 Melta Gun, 1 Lascannon, Sword Brother w/ Combi Melta + Chainsword

1 Plasma Gun, 1 Heavy Bolter, Sword Brother w/ Combi Plasma + Chainsword, sometimes Power Sword if I have the points

always the same weapon.

Imperium: Patrol Detachment - 167 Punkte

***************  1 Standard  ***************  

Crusader Squad
7 Initiates
- 4 x Chainsword + Bolt pistol
- Meltagun
- Power fist
+ Sword Brother
   - 1 x Power fist
   - 1 x Combi-melta
 - - - > 167 Punkte

Edited by Medjugorje

For my melee oriented squads I have a couple of SBs with power swords and bolt pistols (a legacy of the previous edition), one with twin lighting claws, and one with twin power fists just for the giggle factor. I also have a power axes/plasma pistol and a power fist/plasma pistol for my assault squads. For my shooty squads I have a SB magnetised to accomodate any combi-weapon and two with a combi-grav glued on.

Much like sydoniandragoon I would advise keeping it flexible. For instance, on a las-plas squad I would probably give it a combi plasma, or possibly just a bolter (because no special weapon is in range with the lascanon. On my grav-plas squads I like the combi plasma because :

1. plasma is quite strong at the moment
  2. everything has the same 24" range.

My SB loadouts are tied to the ones that the unit he's leading.

Mostly: power weapon/thunder hammer + plasma/grav pistol if the unit is equipped for melee, or combi-plasma/storm bolter if it's in a shooty one. Combi-flamers are also useful too, d6 autohits + 2 shots at 4+!

For shooting squad it's combi-plasma, 'cause I find it more versatile than melta or grav. I'm thinking about combi-flamer, since D6 auto-hits and 2 bolter shots on 4s looks nice.

For close combat crusader squad I take either power sword or just a chainsword. Without additional attacks for charging and second CCW it's just 2 attacks with power weapons instead of 4 we had in 7th edition. So it's either adding one more regular attack for free or cheap power sword to get reliable kills with AP -3.

Elite squad leaders like Vanguard Veterans have 3 attacks base, so power weapon gets more value than in Crusader squads.

In both cases if there's a Lieutenant nearby, I'd take power sword, cause re-rolling 1s somewhat makes up for the lack of Strenght. Otherwise, power axe looks like a solid option.

Presently I run my Sword brethren with power fists and the back up weapon as an Ax (Maul if I need to shave a point or two).  Of course my Crusader Squads are almost exclusively stabby, so there ya go.

I feel I should make some power sword models sometime soon, though.  Don't got any of those, and they can be useful against particular armies.

Replying to the Combat loadout as i only run those, except when I try a Melta Drop, then the SB will have a CombiMelta.

If with Chaplain or no Character they'll have an Axe, when with Helbrecht a Sword will be the go to at S5 AP-3.

As an example I run 2 squads with Chaplain and they have 2 Axes each and 2 squads with Helbrecht with 2 Swords each, they are cheap and can make a difference as they'll both be at S5.

An Hammer it's also good but as I'm very point heavy across the board and running Vets with Hammers I can't spare the points but if you have less Infantry units then Hammer would be great but don't put all your hopes in it hitting on a 4+

Also I wouldn't have a Fist on an Initiate as they have 1 chance to make the 4+, Hammer it's better and even better on a SB.

Edited by Gendo

Lets say you have a full bolt pistol chainsword squad with a powefist in the mix. What would you put on that squad's sword brother?

So far I've modeled two sword brothers. One with a powersword/combi-flamer, and the other with a powersword/combi-plasma.

You can't have a combi and a power weapon on the SB unless you want to be flexible with your models and declare which one you'll use for the game.

You can't have a combi and a power weapon on the SB unless you want to be flexible with your models and declare which one you'll use for the game.

So the sergeants weapons list is "two weapons from this list OR a weapon from that list?" Well dammit haha

Replying to the Combat loadout as i only run those, except when I try a Melta Drop, then the SB will have a CombiMelta.

If with Chaplain or no Character they'll have an Axe, when with Helbrecht a Sword will be the go to at S5 AP-3.

As an example I run 2 squads with Chaplain and they have 2 Axes each and 2 squads with Helbrecht with 2 Swords each, they are cheap and can make a difference as they'll both be at S5.

An Hammer it's also good but as I'm very point heavy across the board and running Vets with Hammers I can't spare the points but if you have less Infantry units then Hammer would be great but don't put all your hopes in it hitting on a 4+

Also I wouldn't have a Fist on an Initiate as they have 1 chance to make the 4+, Hammer it's better and even better on a SB.

Brother, I'm not sure if your Marines have passed their proper combat training or not... pretty sure Marines hit on a 3+ as a base and only servitors hit on a 4+ in our Codex...

So a Fist would hit on a 3, and potentially wound anything below T8 with a 3+... and do D3 wounds... pretty decent if just being equipped on an Initiate and if you get the charge... add a Sword Brother with a Thunder Hammer for 2 attacks that deal 3 damage, and a Plasma gun and you have a solid anti-monster squad...

I equip my Sword Brother usually depending on the job that I want his squad to do... a Heavy Bolter Squad would have a Chainsword, Storm Bolter Sword Brother, adding more dice to the weight of fire and clearing out enemy chaff, a Lascannon squad would be cheap with a Bolter to offset the points cost of Lascannons, and an additional Power Weapon to increase melee damage for melee Crusader Squads

Brother, I'm not sure if your Marines have passed their proper combat training or not... pretty sure Marines hit on a 3+ as a base and only servitors hit on a 4+ in our Codex...

So a Fist would hit on a 3, and potentially wound anything below T8 with a 3+... and do D3 wounds... pretty decent if just being equipped on an Initiate and if you get the charge... add a Sword Brother with a Thunder Hammer for 2 attacks that deal 3 damage, and a Plasma gun and you have a solid anti-monster squad...

I equip my Sword Brother usually depending on the job that I want his squad to do... a Heavy Bolter Squad would have a Chainsword, Storm Bolter Sword Brother, adding more dice to the weight of fire and clearing out enemy chaff, a Lascannon squad would be cheap with a Bolter to offset the points cost of Lascannons, and an additional Power Weapon to increase melee damage for melee Crusader Squads

Read the notes for powerfists and thunderhammers. -1 to all hit roll made with this weapon.

Where does it say that?

Copy-pasting from the codex itself:

SERGEANT EQUIPMENT

Up to two weapons can be chosen

from the following list:

-Pistols and melee weapons-

One weapon can be chosen from the

following list:

-Different flavours of bolters-

I read it that you need to trade both Chainsword and Pistol to select either 1 item from the Combis or 2 items from the other list and it isn't pick whatever.

Where does it say that?

Copy-pasting from the codex itself:

SERGEANT EQUIPMENT

Up to two weapons can be chosen

from the following list:

-Pistols and melee weapons-

One weapon can be chosen from the

following list:

-Different flavours of bolters-

I read it that you need to trade both Chainsword and Pistol to select either 1 item from the Combis or 2 items from the other list and it isn't pick whatever.

For company vets:

"The veteran sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and chainsword with items from the Sergeant Equipment list"

"Any vet may replace his bolt pistol with a storm shield or a melee weapon / pistol"

"Any vet may replace his chainsword with a storm shield, boltgun, or an item from melee/pistol/combi/special weapon"

So as we can see, a regular vet can grab a power weapon and combi.  I would find it hard to believe a vet sergeant has access to less than the veterans he commands.

The restriction of 1 weapon from the combi list is just there to keep you from doing double combi.  As a vet sergeant, you could trade your chainsword for a combi and your pistol for a power sword just like the rest of the vets.  However, note that they have replace other weapons, so I don't think you could for example, go combi, plasma pistol, and  power sword.  Do I have that right?