Which player rolls the dice for 'Vehicle Explode' ?

Hi guys,

So I was having a nice game of 40k yesterday with my buddy and the following question came up:

When a vehicle is destroyed, or better said, when a model reaches 0 wounds it should normally be removed from play.

In this particular case it was a Redemptor Dreadnought and it has the special rule 'Explodes'. So when the Redemptor Dreadnought reaches 0 wounds, a dice is rolled to determine if it explodes. In this particular scenario I had some friendly models in range of the explosion, so I was trying to prevent that from happening.

With the power of 8th edition Command Points, we are allowed to reroll a single dice result once per phase. So in case a 6 would be rolled for the 'Explodes' result, you could reroll it and hope the second time you don't roll a 6.

Now the problem is this: 

- When you make a 're-roll', it is implied that you can only re-roll a dice which you rolled yourself.

- It is unclear in the 'Explodes' special rule WHO is responsible for rolling the dice to determine if it indeed explodes.

Because of this we couldn't figure out if I was allowed to use a CP to reroll the dice. In the end we simple rolled off to see who was right, but I rather have a clear ruling about this.

What do you guys think? Who rolls the dice for the explode result?

Ah, thanks for pointing me to the FAQ. I did find the following example scenario in there from GW:

For example, a Razorback is transporting a Tactical
Squad of five models and one Space Marine Captain
when it is destroyed. The Razorback rolls a 6 for its
Explodes ability, inflicting D3 mortal wounds on each
unit within 6". The six models inside now disembark,
and six D6 are rolled. Two of the results are a 1, so two
models are slain – the Space Marine player chooses
two of the Space Marines from the Tactical Squad. The
Razorback model is now removed from the battlefield.

So the part where they say "The Razorback rolls a 6 for its Explodes ability" makes me believe it is indeed the player who controls the vehicle that gets to throw the dice.
It is the controlling player of an unit who activates it's abilities, after all. Even if that ability makes it go boom in this case. :biggrin.:
Edited by Brother Nezulius

Just for reference, I found the specific answer in the 'designer's commentary' that confirms it's the vehicle owner. (They really should just merge that into the rulebook FAQ)

https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary.pdf

"Q: Which player rolls the D6 to see if a vehicle explodes, or if a monster has death throes, etc. when it is destroyed?
A: The player whose model has been destroyed rolls the D6."

They also confirm that you can only re-roll your own dice:

"Q: Can I use the Command Re-roll Stratagem to re-roll a dice roll made by my opponent?
A: No.

Note that the rules assume that a player always rolls their own dice (instead of asking their opponent, for example, to roll hit
rolls, saving throws, etc. on their behalf). That being the case, you can only use the above-mentioned Stratagem to affect dice
rolls you make, and not those made by your opponent."

Edited by Arkhanist