The Drinking Hole - General Necromunda banter thread

hummus

Just been reading a thread on another munda site where people are discussing the merits and likelihood of wood as a manufacturing material in the underhive.

What's everyone's opinion on this?

Seems likely, there has to be wood somewhere on the planet, or you would need to create oxygen artificially. Some dirt, water and light and you can have some stunted trees. I've seen trees grow out of the floor of an abandoned military gymnasium once, still don't know how it managed to do that.

That being said, I doubt high quality wood would be used commonly and would have the same value as marble. You'd be better off with gold plated pistolgrips instead of wooden ones!

Besides fungi of the underdark, I don't think wood would be extremely scarce on the city. The hive have things and need things, so the hive sells things and buy things. And I'm not talking about furniture, that the slumdogs certainly wont be buying by the lot, but about construction pallets, and wood crates. Wood is cheap in other planets, and most of the stuff the hive buys should be packaged somehow.

And like in real life, wood pallet and crates would be scavenged to death. So, at least in my block there will be wood :P

Contamination is only to be considered for certain products. Construction materials, office supplies, canned food, and even hospital supplies are actually shipped in wooden pallets. And while wood may be not naturally available in Necromunda, this doesn't mean that is also expensive in other planets that may ship stuff to the hive planet.

Also considering Munda ecosystem (ash wastes) they will need to be supplied a lot of things, starting by paper, parchment, wood, food probably, fur and almost everything that comes from organic origin or natural resources not naturally available in the planet; and considering the population number that means a lot of wood (which is the cheapest material for that afaik) pallets and crates in a daily basis.

You may disagree ofc, but that's how I view this matter.

Cheers.

The gaunts ghosts novels touched on this. Certain planets were Argi worlds where wood would be overly available. But Hiveworlds where the pollution is off the scales there would be little to none.

If you want to know where the world gets it's oxygen from you need to use air scrubbers and chemical production methods. In the upper hive this may take the form of an atrium filled with plants but that woul only be for the elite.

Forget real world and think more akin to a moon base.

Yeah ... There was a coffin maker on a world the tanith were fighting on and if memory serves me right the coffin maker was bemoaning the loss of the world and it's timber. All the tanith stocks were wood to start off with but that changed over the years.

Really need to re-read them now. I've managed to get most of the books just missing a few from my collection.

As for wood, just look at Chernobyl today, nature is taking over already so I would assume 'something' would be growing that has wood like texture. 

That's because there was Nature to take over, as it always does to abandoned human settlements and structures.  But trees can hardly encroach upon an area when there are no trees to begin with.  

An underground bunker for instance, might be overgrown with vegetation on the surface, but if it's not breached, you won't see growth indoors.

It's far more likely that nearly all Underhive structures are scavenged metal, plastic, concrete or even mud huts.

... but if it's not breached, you won't see growth indoors.

It's far more likely that nearly all Underhive structures are scavenged metal, plastic, concrete or even mud huts.

You might not see it, but odds are you'll smell it. That musty scent of rot. Heavens forbid you kick up that layer of dust and dead cells.

In the back of my inch thick hard cover there was quite a bestiary of hazardous fauna and flora described and somewhere between native and prolific to the setting. Is it not the origin of 'Brain Leaf'? If you don't think there are things living down-hive I suggest you also spend some time reviewing the descriptions in the 'territories' charts.

Back to 'Brain Leaf'. I recall the description talked of vines, and it's not a far leap to go from striking vines to ridged cellulous stalks. And once you've got ridged cellulous stalks right right next door to 'wood'. It just means that being a 'lumberjack' down hive requires you to wear a good helmet and be ready to subdue the tree first. So, business as usual for the setting.

Fair enough, but I'm not sure a vine would be a suitable building material for most purposes.  I'd see it more like large bamboo than traditional lumber.

No doubt there's all kinds of other vegetation-equivalents down there, but hardly anything we'd consider a tree for building purposes.

Time to get started, here's Dave before his Dettol-bath.

gallery_92826_13417_120852.jpg

He'll probably be painted in the reversed scheme I used for my Astra Militarum Kill Team, it would be nice to connect them to each other a bit. I tested the inverted scheme on a re-purposed Scavvy already, and I quite liked the result:

gallery_92826_13460_237433.jpg

So, I'm biting the bullet early, and starting work on a gang now before the game comes out. So far, I'm waiting on an eBay auction to end on a Confrontation model to use as a proof of concept. Will post pics if or when I win the auction.

Edit: Considering going either full on 80's campiness, or Blanchitsu style.

Blanchitsu style 80s campness??

I was thinking Dayglo style for maximum campiness.

For reference, this is the model I was able to get. (For a sweet, sweet $25)

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/images/1/1c/LE1_Hive_Bratt_Ganger.jpg

So, I'm biting the bullet early, and starting work on a gang now before the game comes out. So far, I'm waiting on an eBay auction to end on a Confrontation model to use as a proof of concept. Will post pics if or when I win the auction.

Edit: Considering going either full on 80's campiness, or Blanchitsu style.

Blanchitsu style 80s campness??

I was thinking Dayglo style for maximum campiness.

For reference, this is the model I was able to get. (For a sweet, sweet $25)

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/images/1/1c/LE1_Hive_Bratt_Ganger.jpg

I love that mini!! Go paint it right now!!

So, yak day happened, my delaque gang, The Copperheads, did really well, I was in contention for the highest gang rating increase until some pesky van Saar shot my favourite ganger, Jim "the Killer" Miller in the face, my face must have looked like thunder when those dice said he was dead as my opponent looked really worried :)

My pre tourney fluff piece, you can play bingo with the 100 greatest western film titles if you want

Stoudenmire didn't like it. Forty guns were said to lay in a 'misplaced' container nearby. Stoudenmire was no fool and had tried to find out more before blindly walking into a possible ambush. People are people are people. Noble, beggar, priest. All of them had their price. For a fistful of creds they would give you information. For a few creds more they would give you information on their own family. The good, the bad and the ugly, all were susceptible to shiny pennies.

This areas new outfit wasn't. All his intel on the local gangs hinted that this was something different and new.

Snarky had heard tell of some pretty efficient blade work by the Eschers that had taken over the Razorbacks hq, a lot of blood apparently. Stoudenmire had scoped them out already and was content to let them have their new hovel as long as they stayed there. He'd set up a string of young’uns who would send word if "Sonja’s Slicers" moved out. Stoudenmire had also run his scope over the nearby warehouses and seen one hell of a woman, his informants called her Moira the Mercenary, licking his lips he wondered how much she charged for her services…. In battle, yes, services in battle of course. Anyway that was a distraction he didnt need. there was no way it was Sonja's slicers, they hadn’t had time to close down a territory this big so quickly.

Rumours of some escaped pit fighters led by some hellish combination of flesh and scrap metal called the Moleman were quickly discounted, pit fighters were all about brutal showmanship, not quiet subterfuge.

These pit fighters and the local scavvies “The Sump Dogs” would have been rubbed out by the local guilders as outlaws if they made any real plays for power.

A new “trading” (did goliaths really travel in anything that wasn’t a WAR! party?) party of goliaths were said to be making the rounds but their leader, Captain Dangerous, was more interested in cutting deals than cutting throats if the word on the street was to be believed.

If Stoudenmire had to guess then he would say the new outfit could have maybe been rival Delaques, who ever it was, they had shut down any and all talk about themselves, keeping info in short supply, with any blabbers silenced and probably in pieces at the bottom of the Ripflow. Sounded Delaque. His one piece of intel did mention a paleface but not all Delaques had pale faces as his own men showed, its hard to be a professional pale bald sneaky Delaque spy when every body knows a pale bald guy is a sneaky Delaque spy.

But no, this was something different, something new, he could feel it, he didn’t trust much bar his own gut feeling and his gut said something else was going on.

He had used all his gangs surveillance skills, beaten more than a few locals bloody and even killed a guy called Liberty Valance. Nobody was talking, no matter the motivation. His Delaque gang, The Copperheads‘, latest hired gun, Wild Bill the gunfighter, the shootist and the son of a space marine if you were gullible enough, had put Stoudenmire in touch with a rat skin scout, Slag Heap. Weird naming conventions aside, Slag had managed what Stoudenmire's entire gang hadn't. In return for a lasgun he had found a lead and a weak one at that. "Look to the paleface brethren" Slag had said enigmatically. Stoudenmire had sent Slag ahead into the high country of girders and vents to scout out this "paleface" but he hadn't returned yet. Slag had been gone too long, high noon he'd said, it was now 3.10. Slag heap was supposed to have smoothed relations with the local rat skins, the Wittering Bull tribe, how successful he’d been wasn’t known, he was really beginning to believe that the scout had just taken his money and the lasgun and done a runner. Stoudenmire regretted signing his prize pitfighter ALX GR8 up for the new Thunder Cube games, the re-programmed combat servitor could have just walked right through this mysterious new gangs territory, right up to the container and Stoudenmire wouldn't have minded if a trap or sniper blew his head off. Instead it looked like the Copperheads were going to have to do this slow and easy, sneaky like. Oh well, it's what they were good at........

And then my loose battle reports

The Copperheads, starting gang rating 1425

Game 1

The Copperheads v @Lapin and his Emperors Chosen Brethren

Dallas Stoudenmire's gang snuck in to the dark and empty clearing to investigate the container and it's supposed 40 guns. Snarky and Wild Bill fanned out to either side, scouting ahead for any sign of the paleface and his gang. As Stoudenmire checked the crate the KingFisher set up his heavy stubber just in case the suspicion of an ambush turned out to be true. The rest of the gang were keeping an exit out of this territory clear as well, Stoudenmire new how ambushes worked and didn't fancy being in one.

The crate opened easily, it turned out to be empty, either somebody had got here first or it was bait, it was time to go. A scream of horror to his left made him look up, and he wished he hadn't, an abomination of flesh, a creature of nightmares had dropped onto Snarky, what manner of daemon the thing was Stoudenmire couldn't begin to guess but he didn't want anything to do with it, he signalled back to the rest of the gang and saw them break into a run towards the clearing. Worryingly the absence of the pale faces now ended, a pale man? with the air of the wyrd about him came into view with the sound of many running feet behind him. Dallas wasn't sure if he could out run the thing that was messing up Snarky but he would give it a damned good go, a quick shot from his plasma pistol at the wyrd to slow him down and he was off, straight towards his approaching reinforcements. He could see bright flashes to his right where wild Bill had been, the glare from his hot shot pistols proving the scummer was still alive. A thunderous roar from the heavy stubber chucking a hail of shots at the abomination started up to his left, the beast moved with a speed almost to fast to see, dodging the rain of shots and disappearing into the darkness.

A group of Copperheads led by Sam Bass burst into the clearing and started shooting at the wyrd who ducked behind cover, a few more copperheads made it in as well and the wyrd cover was peppered with lead, a single bullet smashing through and taking him down. With all his gang with him he moved over to where he had last seen wild Bill and saw a couple of downed cultists, the boom of a shotgun sounded, Dallas' one real friend, Jim the killer miller had come into the clearing to the side of the clearing with the youngster billy the Kid and downed another cultist, whether it was the boom of the shotgun or at the behest of the beast Dallas didn't know but the few enemies he could see started to retreat into the gloom.

This was a hit and run game, Lapin did very well to keep me guessing as to his mission but I think in trying to do that he perhaps lost focus on just concentrating on the real one. It turns out he needed to take out Stoudenmire, luckily I saw what the genestealer did to Snarky as in my inexperience v the cult I had actually been considering charging the monster with Stoudenmire, that might have changed the result somewhat

I did manage to capture the magus but with it being the first game and flushed with the win I was feeling generous and I sold him back for a fistful of credits, sorry to anyone that this may have caused any inconvenience to

Old Snarky is a apparently a tough old bugger and rolled full recovery

Lapin was very knowledgeable on the rules, thanks for getting me through the first game #feeling rusty

Game 2

Copperheads v @Ned Noodle and the Mole Rats

Word had reached his friend Jim whilst working the Copperheads gambling den that the local renegade pitfighters were headed out to a score in an industrial complex nearby. Rumours painted these guys as shuffling tool boxes, repurposed servitors rather than true pitfighters and so Dallas figured if they were quick they could be in and out before the metal men knew what was going on. He was wrong. The rumours were wrong. The massive conglomerations of steel and muscle might take a while to get moving but once they did they looked like they had the momentum of a mag train behind them. The tools they had implanted weren't the delicate instruments of manufactory servitors, they were the hammers, rock drills and power servo assisted clamps of construction machines. As they barrelled towards Copperheads he cursed the high winds that kept the KingFisher and Curly Bill off the gantries above, down amongst the pipework maze their guns were almost useless. Luckily Stoudenmire had sent some guys with Jim through some tunnels to try to divert some of the pitfighters, three of them veered off to deal with Jim and his men but were gunned down, Dallas was beginning to think he should get a shotgun like Jim's, it had been doing some real work. Not to be out done he moved forward with the rest of the gang, concentrating on the enemy leader. Adding his plasma pistol to wild Bills las fullisade the mighty warrior was taken down mere yards in front of them and the rest of the machines turned tails and ran.

Another outlander gang that I hadn't fought before, we rolled for treacherous conditions and ended up not being allowed above ground level, on one of the big gantry maps

It felt counter intuitive to move towards the monstrous hybrids of man and machine but the mission was scavengers and there was loot to be had

I popped 3 guys up out of a tunnel behind a trio of pitfighters to draw them further away from the 4 loot counters, wild Bill unloaded on mole man taking him down, Dallas opened up with his plasma pistol on full power and took him out. I managed to stay out of combat against a close combat gang and so I won. A couple of movement advancements on the mole rats side and I reckon I would have got creamed, I wouldn't have minded too much as the freaky machine men are so damn pretty :)

Ned was fun to play against, I think he just needed to forget he had pistols and run a bit more, another or seven inches and he would have been in combat and I would have been dead

Game 3

Copperheads v @CaptainDangerous and the crew of the I.S.S. Crumpet

Ambush, Dallas laughed at the thought, everybody knows you can't really ambush a Delaque, maybe these so called Goliaths weren't from around here? Slag Heap had finally returned after his disappearance, he had been chased by the pale faces now known as the Emperors Chosen Brethren across many territories. Dallas wasn't usually forgiving of desertion but he still remembered the glimpse he had had of the beast that led the Chosen. Slag Heap brought news of a water treatment facility that had been turned into a lucrative hot bath spa. The owners weren't locals, Stoudenmire had put in some effort, word had been given to just about everyone in the surrounding area that the Delaques were shipping some luxury toiletries through the sector but were weighed down by their goods and would be easy pray to any gang brave enough to face them. It now seemed that their so called captain had taken the bait, there were plainly visible feet sticking out from corners, a "clever" bright white camo hat was visible bobbing around atop some cover, Snarky was pointing out each group of "ambushers" to the rest of the Copperheads as they advanced into the gantries amongst the water works piping. The Copperheads already had their guns trained on these groups when the white hatted fellow stood up and shouted charge. Ambushers indeed. In a matter of moments the enemies were gunned down, Jim taking down at least two guys by himself, the Captain however had somehow survived Dallas' first plasma shot and he had to charge into the enemy leader who was wielding a fearsome looking pick axe. Faerasome though he was he was no match for Dalllas Stoudenmire, distracting him with fancy sword work he shot him again in the face, he wouldnt survive this time. With the owner dead it looked like this waterworks now belonged to the Copperheads, he wondered if Moira would accept an invitation into one of the hot tubs?

Captain dangerous, what a guy :) his continuous bubbly enthusiasm for necromunda, yaktribe and all the yakkers didn't wain all weekend and was a joy to behold throughout the two days, truly inspiring. He went out of his way to make sure we were all looked after, organised food (with help from mac inventor) and is now one of my hobby heroes. So obviously I killed his gang leader and took most of his gang out. Sorry mate, I rolled hot, he rolled cold. With the proceeds of this game I was able to sign Bane up to my roster as well as Gordon Freeman and nicked a water still.

Game 4

Copperheads v @Adam D and the Upstart Crew

Stoudenmire was worried, these Van Saar hadn't appeared in any of his informants reports, they were an unknown and as a man whose life revolved around the motto "knowledge is power" he was nervous of the lack of intel he had on the men in blue body suits he could see closing in on his latest shipment of contraband goods.

Whoever they were he wasn't about to let them take this latest shipment, it was worth a barrel load of creds And so there was going to be a fight. Using the tunnel network and infiltration skills he sent Jim and a posse of lads including the newly inducted Bane up field. He signalled to Curly Bill who was high up on a platform to take out the first ganger he saw, as he finished his hand signal he was mortified to see Curly Bill downed by what could only be a plasma cannon blast. Although gutted to lose a ganger and maybe his lascannon as well, Dallas kept his eye on the prize and his gang moved up. Snarky took a shot at some guys who popped up out of a nearby pipe pinning one of them but as he reached for another slug for his hunting rifle his hand found only an empty bag. He drew his knife and advanced on the pinned enemy. The KingFisher was setting himself up on a gantry as Wild Bill and Dallas rushed in and grabbed some of the containers, the KingFisher opened up on some gangers, knocking some down but was himself downed by return fire. On the far right Sam Bass, Clay and the freeman ran and ran in order to cover farthest box of goodies. Snarky was beating the crap out of his hand to hand opponent but was overwhelmed when another ganger entered the fray. Slag Heap finally got to the top of a nearby tower and nabbed the crate at the top, taking a pot shot at the enemy heavy plasma gunner. Distracted by this the enemy heavy didn't react in time to stop Bane from topping a ladder and charging in, giving him a serious punch to the heart.

Meanwhile down on ground level a close range firefight was raging between Jim's posse and some van Saar who were hunkering down in cover, shots were traded, some were dodged but even the lightning quick Billy the Kid was knocked down closely followed by Jim the Killer Miller whose body was riddled with bullets as it fell to the floor. Shocked at the death of his childhood friend Stoudenmire ordered a retreat, taking three of the crates with him, a poor substitute for his loss. Unsure even of the gangers name who had killed his friend, Dallas has vowed to kill every member of the Upstart Crew at the earliest opportunity................

Despite losing I had fun this game, Adam was a nice guy, letting me buy back my captured gangers, john Wesley Hardin and the KingFisher. He did however manage to kill my favourite ganger. Jim the Killer Miller had been reliably getting into short range and wrecking face with his man stopping shotgun all day Saturday. As I was boasting of this He rolled a one to hit with it and paid for the miss with his life. I was feeling ok though because I had killed one of the van Saar as well until Adam remembered medics are a thing and so instead of dead he got survived against the odds! It was good to fight a shooty gang after the mostly assaulty ones I had faced so far, the roll for first turn had us both pumped as it would decide which heavy died first, at least the plasma canon couldn't fire the next turn after deleting my lascannon heavy :) Bane butchering the plasma gunner later on eased my pain from the lascannon loss somewhat, I'll get you next time @Adam D :)

Game 5

Copperheads v @Resmire and his Sanguine Veritas

Having retreated from the van Saar deep into the tunnel network Stoudenmire was struggling to deal with the loss of his friend. The gang weren't happy either, pulling out just before they could have really done a number on the enemy in revenge. Stoudenmire needed something to get their minds off the loss, the screams for help they had been hearing for the last hour or so were probably just what the gang needed, an investigation began. It turned out the screams were from some captives of a gang of Cawdor called the Sanguine Veritas, borderline redemptionists if the local talk was anything to go by. With the loss of Jim, Dallas knew he needed to reinforce his gang, maybe some thankful released captives would make good recruits, saved from the torturers of the redemption they should be loyal to their saviour. He had already sent word to Jim's son to come and join him, if a few captives survived the coming battle and Sonny Jim turned up they could probably make their way back and take on the Upstart Crew on more favourable terms than before. Just the matter of the advancing Cawdor gang to go through and he would have his revenge. The confines of the tunnel network were a bit of a disadvantage to his heavies so he had sent them to cover an open area where many tunnels converged, he had also seen more than a few cracks in the tunnels floor, the approaching gang had already lost one guy who slipped and fell but strangely made no screams as he fell, his blind faith telling him everything would still be ok. Dallas shook his head, there were more important things to do than watch a man fall to his death, like dodge that autogunner, a round clipped his shoulder and he went down hard.

He felt a wash of heat as two of his gangers were engulfed in flames nearby, they fell to the floor screaming as he heard lascannon and heavy stubber shots whizz over his head downing Cawdor left and right. He passed in And out of consciousness, the image of billy the Kid and john Wesley Hardin burning in front of him. When he came to again The rest of his gangers had managed to grab most of the captives and dragged dallas' prone body away with them. Despite having the jitters every time he closed his eyes he knew that john and billy had made it out ok as well and it had been a pretty successful raid, five captives had been taken, it was a shame that two of them had been van Saar, they had been thrown down a crack in the tunnel floor with their throats cut, there had also been one of the Chosen, he had had a pistol shot to the head but the other two were willing recruits. Not bad, not bad at all. The victory had cheered the gang

This game was very different, the tunnel tiles making my long range useless-ish ( heavies still did some work) we were interrupted by a round of the thundercube ( I didn't mind as my gang had just been heavy flamered ) when we came back I started to roll a bit better and things went well, getting five loot counters was unexpected after the flaming but it gave me enough cash to hire tom Horn junior, sonny jim and wyatt Earp. Thanks to resmire for dealing with the lack of 3D really well, anything that was a bit ambiguous on the tiles was easily cleared up between us.

The finale

Copperheads v games mastering

As they went through the bulk head door the joviality and bravado from their recent victory seeped out of them one by one as they each beheld the sight below them they could see the approach of a shambling horde, plague zombies. This wasn't like the occasional zombie you saw being pushed around by scavvies, there looked like over a thousand of them but Stoudenmire wasn't inclined to stay and count them. " that's a whole lotta nope, back through the bulkhead now, I know a shortcut up hive, we'll come back when this is all sorted"

"Should we raise the alarm? Warn the locals? What about the other gangs?" Asked Jim the killer millers son.

The new kid certainly wasn't his father yet, these were stupid questions, never mind, he would learn thought Stoudenmire.

"Frak'em" said Snarky

"Frak'em all" said Stoudenmire

"Frak'em all" said the rest of the gang as they followed Stoudenmire and left the gangs and the locals to their fate

Copperheads gang rating 2013

The THUNDERCUBE! Was a side game of pitslaves that I did spectacularly badly in although in the final THUNDERCUBE! Of the weekend I took out the three times champion with a las pistol shot to the face, only to then be charged and taken out by the 3rd finalist

The weekend finale was just a massive free for all between all of the gangs, or so the players thought, after four turns a klaxon sounded and plague zombies poured onto the table :) I helped the organiser control the zombies and so the Copperheads lived to fight another day, unlike all but 4 models from all of the gangs that took part

Link to other attendees accounts of the day and even some pictures https://yaktribe.org/community/threads/yakday-peterborough-2017.5412/page-38

Yeah man that was a good read, thanks for posting. :thumbsup: Sounds like you had a great time.

Still tinkering with stuff, had a bit of a silly phase as you can see here...

First up we have some WiP's of Toxie...

med_gallery_75911_13630_98405.jpgmed_gallery_75911_13630_74886.jpg

and a VERY early WiP of my Awesome Bad Ass Scummer of Ultimate BADASSITUDE!!!

No one knows where he comes from or who he really is, a masked wanderer who leaves a trail of broken skulls (and broken hearts) in his wake, Some say under his helmet, is another smaller helmet and under that is another helmet and under that is a poster of Jem from the Holo-Damned. Some also say he slept with all the High Lords of Terra in a drunken orgy of Narcotics and Banana Milkshake, others say he can actually touch MC Hammernator. The first you know of him entering battle is when you hear his deadly blood curdling warcry 'Coca Cola lipstick Ringo, Dance all night, dance all night, I've got dancing legs (woah), I've got dancing legs'.

Ladies and Gentle Gangers of the Underhive, Boyz and Ghouls of all ages I give you...

FRANK FRINGEBUTTOCK!!! Just Frank to his mates.

med_gallery_75911_13630_409644.jpg

Edited by Slave to Darkness

@ Radu: Thanks for the batreps, Yakday looked amazing, if it runs again next year I'm really hoping to get involved!

@StD: Frank is awesome, what's his head/helm made out of?

Here's my contribution to the B+C's Bolthole terrain-project-thing! I've been working on this piece for a while, a lander/shuttle for one of my Inq28 warbands but I figured it works with my Void Pirates crew even better:

gallery_27610_13639_69213.jpg

gallery_27610_13639_64165.jpg

gallery_27610_13639_84122.jpg

Edited by Lysimachus

Thanks Corsovitt, Firefly/Millenium Falcon kinda feel was exactly what I was going for! Good spot too, it is indeed the Star Wars toy, an Ast-5 I think? The engines are also SW, from a (larger scale) pod racer, with the rear section built out of plasticard tube and sheet.