The Drinking Hole - General Necromunda banter thread

hummus

I am really impressed with the detail of the weathering on those ZM sections. They look like they have been neglected for a long time. What does the inscription say on the wall segment?

Glad you like it! It's some prayer from the so called "Lectitio Divinitatus", written in a sub-form of lower gothic.

Just got my hands on the rulebook - it mentions Squats and Eldar traders having their own levels in the trading spire. I’m very excited to see if this means they will be going back to the older fluff where full scale war between the Imperium and most Xenos races were localized events and not galaxy wide.

Also, the return of Squats! It’s here! Why isn’t this bigger news?

Edited by Marshal Rohr

I am hoping the censored page of Gang War 2 from the live stream shows something cool, on the stream they apparently said they had to hide it due to major release spoilers.

Has anyone already started a campaign?

If so, how does it turn out for you?

Is it fun to play?

I've just startet to build my Goliath gang yesterday and realise that they made only one sprue. Pretty dissapointing. Basically these are Snapfit models with more parts.

Don't get me wrong. I think they look great but they all look the same and you are very restricted how to build them and how you combine the weapons.

I've only played a couple of scenarios from Underhive so far but it was very fun - my Eschers were decimated both times but on the plus side the second time was totally because I let a combat shotgunner take out 3 of my gangers... Whole flank went to crap.

... I've just startet to build my Goliath gang yesterday and realise that they made only one sprue. ...

I'd find this a bigger dealio if the squad size wasn't proportionately small. The sprue makes five different dudes, so you have each weapon mount twice easy and each copy can get one of two versions of the head and the game goes a bit out of its way to encourage armament diversity, so you're unlikely to want all five guys with Lasguns.

If I was trying to build an army, or even just a small guard platoon it'd irritate the heck out of me, but I set that dream aside a long time ago.

I feel there is an implied promise of expanded options later on, I expect one off FW clam-packs or what not, but I fear Half-Horn as a price model.

Is it fun to play?

Me and 3 friends have tried some test-game out, and will be starting up our campaign this evening. I could post some pics and write a short review or something I guess. :)

I sort of get the impression that the idea is for players to play like three games per evening. The way exp and credits work seem to encourage lots of short games rather than slugging out to the bitter end. I think I people will bottle out rather fast if when things turn against them.

Is it fun to play?

I've just startet to build my Goliath gang yesterday and realise that they made only one sprue. Pretty dissapointing. Basically these are Snapfit models with more parts.

Don't get me wrong. I think they look great but they all look the same and you are very restricted how to build them and how you combine the weapons.

I'm on my second Turf war now!

Started with seven Escher ladies (a leader, a champ and five gangers; one of the latters had a chem thrower). Not the ideal build up, I know.

At the end of the first war I had 4. They are now back at 7 and dominating the second war.

The campaign is a lot of fun, with a strong rpg vibe (compared to the rest of GW's games). It's more about telling a story rather than slaughtering your opponent period.

The system in itself is pretty open to abuse, so it will require some common sense and cooperation between like minded players.

I really don't see it "workin" as a wwac league.

Edited by The_Bloody

Managed two games yesterday, though we were really slow. First was my Delaques-with-hair vs a friend using the Van Saar rules for his team of AdMec dudes.
5GsMtgH.jpg?1

The board. My home-made ZM board with some 'munda barricades added. It was made with 2D ZM 40k battles in mind, and a 6'x4' board is usually filled to the brim with stuff. Now it was just barely enough for a 3'x3' 3D board!

YptYcrU.jpg?1

I took control of the central plateau from the start, which would be a of huge benefit later on.

EnKp08f.jpg?1

The AdMec sneaking about in my turf!

9Smy7f1.jpg?1

On my left side of the board the AdMec leader is trying to flank me.

eCcs1C2.jpg?1
While my Juve and Champ with flamer tries the same against the AdMec on the right side!

HIS1AJi.jpg?1

Two other friends also played a game, Goliaths vs Delaques-until-proper-rules-for-GS-Cult-arrives. I didn't follow their game as well as I would have liked, I drank a bit too much whiskey I think.. :tongue.: Nah, really the Delaque players just rolled bad every time, while the Goliaths are noticeably better than the other gangs, so it was kinda one-sided and not as exciting as I would have hoped.

So, thoughts about the game.

First of all the rules are organized in a way that is just... horrible. Trying to find the correct rules takes forever since nothing is where you would think it is. I honestly think the super low quality of the rulebooks will be a detriment to the game. I suspect you really need to already be a fan before you begin playing. But there are already long lists of stuff GW need to clarify, so I won't go into that anymore.

Game-play was rather fun when we were not trying to find if there were rules for whatever we wanted to do. First shot of the game hit one of my Champs who was up on a walkway, pinned him so he fell down, suffered a wound and then got a plasmablast to the face while prone! Funnily enough, he managed to crawl behind a corner, and I then played 'Last Gasp' on him when the AdMec leader tried to coup de grace, spraying him in the face with dual-wilded autopistols! I didn't manage to kill him, but he was wounded at least. :smile.:

But speaking of, it's almost silly easy to knock people of edges. Most gangers have a 4+ I, so simply being hit is often enough to send them flying. We also had to house-rule a few things.

First off we basically skipped using 'Stray Shots'. The way the rules are written makes it much easier to hit people you are not aiming for rather than the ones you are trying to hit if your target is in cover. We did kinda use it for close combat though, since there are no rules against shooting people in close combat. You just pick your target, check LOS and if you hit you hit. It's really odd, and makes the "Retreat" action a bit strange. But i guess you could use it to move away from an enemy you are engaged with, and them shoot them instead of fighting in close combat.

Secondly, lobbing grenades at points has to have a -2 To Hit, otherwise people will aim for the cover people are behind rather than the targets of your attack.

Thirdly, template weapons. We played them so that you have to aim straight towards the target of your attack, and any else who are caught are caught. Templates are crazy powerful as it is, so having their targeting rules like that reels them in somewhat. It's also straightforwards, which improves gameplay.

All in all the game was rather fun, but there are some things that confuses old players. Especially being allowed to both shoot freely into close combat and moving out of close combat if you feel like it really caught me off guard. Bottle Out was also a bit odd. I bottled after my second round, but my Leader held the gang together by himself so that it didn't affect me at all. In the end my opponent bottled out voluntarily instead, since he was massively outmaneuvered.

My suspicion that you really need to max out on champs from the start also seem to make sense. After my first game I had 3 fighters out of action, one of them a Champ. This means I still had my leader and a Champ to gather credits and go shopping. There are tons of scenarios where only having one Champ and a Leader means you will have to chose between getting credits or doing something else important. That is why I have one champ with two autopistols. Cheap and just there as a post-battle backup really.
All 3 of my models would miss the next game too, so I would be down to 5 in my next matchup. My opponent, with 6 models in his gang, would be down to 4 (one was lucky and got extra XP instead!).
I think the gangs wont grow as much as I would have liked, since you hardly get any cash, and you will often have a few guys injured.

I'm a bit worried about the Goliaths too, but now that we learned that you can shoot freely into close combat, Goliaths might not be as impressive as they seem. Will see how the campaign progresses though. :smile.:

Edited by totgeboren

Anyone converted up any hired guns yet? Spent a bit of time kitbashing a bounty hunter and a squat prospector this evening though the thought occurs one of the karadron models would probably be a good bet straight out of the kit.

I've kitbashed a Goliath Juve but don't know how to post pics here.

But you can have a look here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd73Mx4gzNF/

Edited by Gorgoff

@Gorgoff - nice, are they your Escher?, and i see the goliaths are looking like ninja's at the moment :biggrin.:

that flamer won't be as effective on 3D terrain me thinks... not sure if i want to put one in my gang yet...i could get 2 more bodies for the price ?? :happy.:

is the Juve's head from Mad robot?...

cheers, Mithril

@Gorgoff - nice, are they your Escher?, and i see the goliaths are looking like ninja's at the moment :biggrin.:

that flamer won't be as effective on 3D terrain me thinks... not sure if i want to put one in my gang yet...i could get 2 more bodies for the price ?? :happy.:

is the Juve's head from Mad robot?...

cheers, Mithril

I AM the Ninja. ;)

Unfortunately I was on the receiving end of the flamer and can say that it is terrific.

But you could be right that it might be less effective in open ground. On the other hand there'll always be clusters of gangers since champions and leaders can activate some dudes around with them.

Not sure if its common knowledge or not as I have not been online much since before xmas but just spoke to the GW manager at my local and she said she thinks Gang War 2 will be out in the next couple of weeks. She has not read the newsletter yet but it drops after the Custodes, so early Feb at the latest.

As usual you may want to add salt, as GW managers usually know less than us.