The Drinking Hole - General Necromunda banter thread

hummus

Balanced was probably a poor choice of words. I meant that I've found tactic cards (especially gang specific ones) detract from the game play rather than enhance it when used by gangs with a similar rating.

My gaming group like the white dwarf rules from a couple of months back that allow a gang to make up the difference in gang ratings with Hangers on and/or a bounty hunter.

The New cards sound like another option that will feel fairer (or more balanced) to all if players know that they could have access to them when the need arises. 

I agree on all points. Those WD rules sound cool, never heard of them before. Do you know of a place that has them available in PDF form?

Well...as someone who hasn't played Necromunda more than once (half a year ago), I might join the handful of locals playing Necromunda. Mostly as a rather relaxed alternative to the general 40k games, which require latest releases and demi-apocalypse amounts of models nowadays. Not that I'll stop playing 40k, but something new once in a while doesn't hurt. A campaign is in the works, so this might be nice for a change.

For starters, which of the gangs are playable and flexible enough for a campaign if you have no idea of the system?

My first choice in design would be Enforcers. Paint red, add AdMech decals/bitz, and use as Mechanicus enforcers keeping up productivity and securing archaeotech in areas with high lead concentrations. Bulky design, almost-primaris heads and high-quality large-calibre weaponry is a win in my book. Every other required bit should be in my bitzbox, but I've read of limited campaign options.

The second option would be Delaque (converted to lowly techpriests interested in salvaging tech), which I already have a box of at home (techpriest conversions). A lot of options for thematic conversion (especially with Black Market gear), but I fear they are not resilient enough for a beginner in Necromunda. Which I can't really tell - is the perceived difference in armour level drastic in game, or rather cosmetic?

Van Saar has awesome tech design, but the gangers themselves look too futuristic for my tastes, that would require some conversion but would work. The other gnags are a no-go.

As a side note, our club almost exclusively plays it on Zone Mortalis - having 96"x72" FW tiles, we are quite spoiled in that regard.

Of those three, I only would recommend Delaque. Enforcers are not very beginner-friendly and not at all exciting for a campaign, and Van Saar will lead you down the road of "That Guy".

Delaque can be a bit tricky as well, they rely on some more exotic weapons. You can have good fun with them though, and they are neither under- nor overpowered.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I've built a delaque techpriest ganger to test the paint scheme, we'll see how it turns out.

I'd love to go crazy with gun selection, but most of that stuff seems really expensive in points. And the only blast weapon is the grav one? So...long rifle is given, but anything else considered a must-have for champion/leader? I'd have given autoguns to gangers and autopistols to juvies for starters (unless there are spare points), but I'll have to read the rules more in depth...

if you wanna go friendly limit the flamers somehow

So...one or two flamers are probably good to have.

With autohit and template, yes, I see how that could work. The regular flamer is quite expensive, but the hand flamer seems acceptable for starters, to light everyone on fire and let them run around to get shot. As I've said, we almost exclusively use Zone Mortalis boards, range should hardly be an issue.

Another combo I'm thinking of would be a leader with Overwatch and plasma gun. Chances are, it will be on short range whenever someone gets into CC proximity, all but guaranteeing a hit.

What number of gangers should I aim for? I could get them up to 10 if just taking bodies and guns (SW on champs/leader), or 7 when also going for full smoke/goggles. The latter seems a bit expensive, but in a campaign should be doable after a while.

Try to start with lots of people since they can work the turf and earn extra credits after the game and you're less liable to bottling out.

You should talk with your opponents and agree a maximum number of flamers per gang. Two is a good limit.

Having looked at it, Enforcers aren't a really good starter either. Because they're severely underpowered due to the combination of their stats and cost. Enforcers are in theory an elite(ish) mid-to-close-range shooting gang without any good cc capabilities. However, that's only in theory.

Enforcers have worst stat line in entire game while being as expensive as Goliaths (most expensive gang model whose) models. Their leader is 3+ we 4+ bs with 2 wounds and flak/armored under suit while costing whooping 140 cr. They are also only gang that has champions with ws and bs 4+ and nothing better. In theory they make up for it with equipment sadly this is only theory. On top of that they can have only two champions ever.

Which sucks, because I wanted to play those guys in a narrative campaign I was planning to do as the DM's crew to shake things up. But..... Now I'm reconsidering it.

In today's meeting we agreed to stick to the options from the plastic sprues for the time being. The guy organizing it knows pretty much every option, and already said there's some pretty broken stuff out there if you were to aim for that. So yeah...I'm tossing around some ideas to get a diverse loadout in there, while I paint up the test model.

In today's meeting we agreed to stick to the options from the plastic sprues for the time being. The guy organizing it knows pretty much every option, and already said there's some pretty broken stuff out there if you were to aim for that. So yeah...I'm tossing around some ideas to get a diverse loadout in there, while I paint up the test model.

You definitely have to restrain yourself in Necromunda, there are quite a few tigns that can easily break the game in general and a campaign in particular. In essence: don't be "that guy".

Yeah, I'll start with a mixture of rahter basic stuff - juvies with autopistol, gangers with autoguns and shotguns, and leader/champions with some of the more fancy stuff. Test model worked out so far, so I ordered a second box for some variety and spare bodies, to use when there's enough credits for the more fancy weaponry/gear.

• 2 months later...

-blows dust off the canteen-

So, now that we've got even more stuff for Necromunda, I've gots a question all:

Vehicles

I had an idea for having specific vehicles in Necromunda as things you can either steal during a mission and use (joyrides sound fun), or buy and add to a gang and use during more "open" areas.

For the vehicles, I'm actually looking at the Taurox/Taurox Prime, Goliath Truck/Rockgrinder, Achilles Ridgerunner, and Rukkatrukk Squigbuggy. As all of those feel like they could be a civilian vehicle in 40k with some modifying (seriously, remove the Orks from the Rukkatrukk Squigbuggy and it looks like a Jeep Gladiator and a Dodge Ram had a very drunken night together)

How would you all go about making vehicles balanced in Necromunda?

Edited by Gederas