Elduderino's World Eaters - Juggers paint in progress

ElDuderino

Love the latest additions to the Knight! The helmet is something I haven't really seen done like that before -- even if I'd argue it might have worked even better with the upper half from the skull-like faceplate (for the more "evil" set of the eyes). That conversion is really seamless, though -- excellent job!

That DP is also looking better and better all the time!

• 2 weeks later...

That’s really nice to hear, I don’t get as much time to work on my projects these days but I do try and update when I can.

Onto your projects. The latest additions to the Knight are spot on. I’ve looked at using those plates from the Skull Cannon a few times on the Knight and you’ve made it fit seamlessly. Great work. The Dread head on that DP just looks like it was meant to be. The cables at the back are a perfect representation of his pre ascension Butchers Nails and the visor just fits perfectly with the rest of the armour

Thanks bio! As stated, it was just a coincidence that those armor plates ended up as a face, luck i guess:)

The Knight is turning out lovely so far, I love the new additions. I'll admit when I first saw the Dreadnought head on the Daemon Prince I was apprehensive, but since then you've made it work perfectly. The whole thing is just terrific together. 

Great to hear! Yeah i wasn't completely sold at first neither, but the collar and the fact that it's not stuck onto 5 mm of blutac helps!

The segmented armour plates added to the Knight look great, as do all the adjustments to the Prince.

Thanks Pearson! Those armor plates are a bit funny, they're so out of place on the normal one, I'm happy i managed to keep them nonetheless

I like the DP's custom helmet.

Thanks Bjorn:thumbsup:

The Knight is inspired, dude! Well done!

That's like, your opinion, man!

nah, thanks Augs! You'll get a giant shoutout once i paint that damned thing, somethime in the early 30s i guess, your paint job on that knight is really inspiring.

I totally forgot about commenting on your prince. New helmet worse well, it's pretty sinister and I like the cables at the back of the head. This prince is pretty inspired and I can't wait to see it painted up.

And what do you mean you don't know what design choices! You are way too modest. no one else is building this knight and it looks great! I still need to figure out what I'm doing about my own knights banner.

That Contemptor looks most promising. I like the skull necklace, though the bones and the metal surfaces (assault cannon barrels, power fist fingers) should bear bloodstains, to show the Contemptor was engaged in close combat, like any good Khorne worshiper.

Yet another thread of Khorne related awesome! I particularly like the Daemon Prince, a really different way to approach modelling a character like that.

Thanks to guys like you, Biohazard and KrautScientist I've been completely inspired regards building my own warband.

Once I've done enough 'work' for it to count as 'work-in-progress' I'll start posting some things up. 

That Contemptor looks most promising. I like the skull necklace, though the bones and the metal surfaces (assault cannon barrels, power fist fingers) should bear bloodstains, to show the Contemptor was engaged in close combat, like any good Khorne worshiper.

Thanks Bjorn, some blood will be added, not too much tough. I need to get some of those texture paints, they seem pretty good for weathering too.

Yet another thread of Khorne related awesome! I particularly like the Daemon Prince, a really different way to approach modelling a character like that.

Thanks to guys like you, Biohazard and KrautScientist I've been completely inspired regards building my own warband.

Once I've done enough 'work' for it to count as 'work-in-progress' I'll start posting some things up. 

Or, you could do like i do and just post every little minor addition to your minis;)

But seriously, thanks man, I'm honored to even be mentioned along with those guys, I've been looking at their work for years before posting anything of my own.

And make sure to send me a PM when you start a thread of your own, I'm pretty bad at browsing the WIP forums unfortunately.

gallery_73760_13626_69645.jpg

gallery_73760_13626_50221.jpg

gallery_73760_13626_32702.jpg

Not a real update, but some slightly less terrible pics at least. This time of year it's hard catching any daylight, so this is as good as it gets for now. Also, hello mistakes!:biggrin.:

Any advice is very welcome, this painting thing is pretty new to me. Advice regarding fast and semi-cool basing is appreciated too, i'm not that into bases but something has to go there:)

I could have sworn I'd commented in here before. Anyway, love the look of your knight and demon prince!

The knight has got some new details, and some relatively smooth gs work to boot, thanks to Brother Chaplain Kage's excellent video tutorials! Switching to silicone clay shapers and oil as a lubricant makes such a difference, I didn't believe it until i saw his video. So, join the cult! Jokes aside, these early attempts are not perfect but way better than anything i've been able to produce before, and waaaay faster too. Thanks BCK!

Happy to help! I know it can sound like nothing can help that much with the GS, especially a little oil and some alternate tools, but I'm glad you gave it a shot and it's working for you. :D  Now keeping making awesome conversions. 

Hey mate, the Contemptor is coming along really well! Still needs that bit of extra polish, however, to take it to the next level. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest the following:

• the rope holding the skulls in place needs its own colour (even if its only silver for a steel rope kinda look), although you were probably still getting to that
  • I think there are some smaller elements around the head that you might want to pick out in silver for a more detailed look. In particular, I am referring to the little round things to the left and right above the head. And the small rectangular panels to either side of the gorget piece.
  • By the same token, the knee joints would also profit from being picked out in silver.
  • I think you may want to add one or two small areas of "pop" to the model. The eyes would be perfect for this, and should be picked out in blue, bright green, orange, or whatever eye colour you want to use for your models. The planet on the legion badge could also look really cool when painted in blue/turquoise -- if you are feeling slightly adventurous, you can even go back in afterwards with some bronze/brass colour and suggest the shape of some continents.
  • the spikes on the lower chest still need to be painted as well.

Apart from that, fantastic work so far! :)

I could have sworn I'd commented in here before. Anyway, love the look of your knight and demon prince!

The knight has got some new details, and some relatively smooth gs work to boot, thanks to Brother Chaplain Kage's excellent video tutorials! Switching to silicone clay shapers and oil as a lubricant makes such a difference, I didn't believe it until i saw his video. So, join the cult! Jokes aside, these early attempts are not perfect but way better than anything i've been able to produce before, and waaaay faster too. Thanks BCK!

Happy to help! I know it can sound like nothing can help that much with the GS, especially a little oil and some alternate tools, but I'm glad you gave it a shot and it's working for you. :biggrin.: Now keeping making awesome conversions.

Thanks man! It was the video that sold it, seeing you just lightly run the tool over gs like that... It was revelatory. I can't wuite do it like that yet, but it's way easier than before. And i can always cheat by cutting after curing:)

IS that a BaC 'temptor? Cause that's a really good reposing! Love the trophies too, buddy. Nice work! Keep it up?

It sure is! I got the box of custodes and silent sisters, mostly for the vehicles. Good value in that box. I was gonna try doing some plastic sisters out of the SoS, but then the news on new sisters dropped and so did my interest hehe:)

And thank you, i will keep it up?

Hey mate, the Contemptor is coming along really well! Still needs that bit of extra polish, however, to take it to the next level. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest the following:

• the rope holding the skulls in place needs its own colour (even if its only silver for a steel rope kinda look), although you were probably still getting to that
  • I think there are some smaller elements around the head that you might want to pick out in silver for a more detailed look. In particular, I am referring to the little round things to the left and right above the head. And the small rectangular panels to either side of the gorget piece.
  • By the same token, the knee joints would also profit from being picked out in silver.
  • I think you may want to add one or two small areas of "pop" to the model. The eyes would be perfect for this, and should be picked out in blue, bright green, orange, or whatever eye colour you want to use for your models. The planet on the legion badge could also look really cool when painted in blue/turquoise -- if you are feeling slightly adventurous, you can even go back in afterwards with some bronze/brass colour and suggest the shape of some continents.
  • the spikes on the lower chest still need to be painted as well.

Apart from that, fantastic work so far! :smile.:

Thanks for the great comments man, I've spent the evening getting through them!

• the rope was actually brown, which of course just blends into the red. I painted it black for now.
  • I left the round things red but the panels are now metal
  • as are the knee joints:)
  • This is the hard part. I can't really find a suitable are for some color. I went with white eyes, as a small homage to wades world eaters (not easily spotted in the pics though). I also have a general shortage of paints, so i opted to paint faint outlines of continents onto the planet instead.
  • Spikes are now metal too. I wish i had spotted them myself before glueing the front armor onto the model it was a bit of a pain to get those done now:)

gallery_73760_13626_17275.jpg

Btw, does anyone have a good method for gluing chains? I've tried using a needle to add small amounts of super glue in between the links, but they just won't stay together. I'm about to call it quits and just drown the things in glue, but that'd ruin the details. 

Any ideas?

Ok, so I gave wondered the same thing and I think it depends on the chain you use. The most common or is that jewelrrs chain,but that doesn't give you anywhere near enough contact area. What's going to happen even if you spend hours doing it perfectly is it's just going to break at the slightest touch.

I want to do some chains on my Knight you see so I've been thinking about this a lot. If you can get chain that has thicker Lin's and therefore less gaps, that's the ideal scenario,but for now here is my suggestion. I haven't tried it myself yet but I plan to. Get the finest wire you can and glue the chain to that, then try to Oly pain the chain, leaving the wire black, hopefully the brain will edit out the wire. I'm thinking of using picture bhsnging wire, it often come as loads if fine with twisted together. When I've had a go I'll let you know how it works... If you have a better idea, let me know!

Excellent work, mate. And glad to be of help! :)

Having the eyes white as a shout out to Wade's army is charming, to be sure, but I actually find white helmet lenses to be a pretty poor choice in general -- and that was basically the only thing about Wade's army I wasn't 100% sold on. This really taps into a bigger subject, though: As I know from painful experience, red and bronze (and silver) is a very strong colour scheme, but it can also end up looking pretty monotonous. So the smart thing would be to - eventually - pick a colour you can use to break up that monotony a bit here and there and add a bit of pop. For me, that colour has been blue and/or turquoise so far (for eyes, plasma coils, the planets in WE badges, glowing sensors and lenses, stuff like that). Your colour of choice can obviously be different, and you don't even need to figure it all out right now. It's something I'd really recommend as an important part of a working World Eaters colour scheme.

Those continent outlines on the planet are really charming, though! :)

And seeing that reactor section, here's one more suggestion for you: Adding some dirt and grime to both the exhaust pipes and the smaller vents can be a great way of adding some extra authenticity to a Dread -- here's a picture of one of my Contemptors to illustrate my point, if you'll excuse the plug:

vaako-the-immortal-world-eaters-contempt

Creating a suitable effect is really easy: Just use brown and black washes and/or thinned down brown and black paint and build up the effect as desired by washing and stippling as needed. Vallejo's Smoky Ink can also be a really big help, although it's by no means a compulsory tool.

Anyway, hope this helps! :)

(Hastily scribbles down notes from Kraut's post for painting the Knight...)

Contemptor looks wicked man, I didn't even notice the Coastlines on the Symbol until Kraut mentioned it, I love those little details, very cool. I'm not sure if your into it but another colour you could add to break things up a bit could be some Heat burn on the Exhaust? I've never done it myself but I've seen a few other people emply it very effectively.

Nice work.

Ok, so I gave wondered the same thing and I think it depends on the chain you use. The most common or is that jewelrrs chain,but that doesn't give you anywhere near enough contact area. What's going to happen even if you spend hours doing it perfectly is it's just going to break at the slightest touch.

I want to do some chains on my Knight you see so I've been thinking about this a lot. If you can get chain that has thicker Lin's and therefore less gaps, that's the ideal scenario,but for now here is my suggestion. I haven't tried it myself yet but I plan to. Get the finest wire you can and glue the chain to that, then try to Oly pain the chain, leaving the wire black, hopefully the brain will edit out the wire. I'm thinking of using picture bhsnging wire, it often come as loads if fine with twisted together. When I've had a go I'll let you know how it works... If you have a better idea, let me know!

(Hastily scribbles down notes from Kraut's post for painting the Knight...)

Contemptor looks wicked man, I didn't even notice the Coastlines on the Symbol until Kraut mentioned it, I love those little details, very cool. I'm not sure if your into it but another colour you could add to break things up a bit could be some Heat burn on the Exhaust? I've never done it myself but I've seen a few other people emply it very effectively.

Nice work.

Thanks for the chain idea PBB, that might work... Hm. I'll google for a bit, it was kinda hard to google though. A variation on the idea might be to glue regular thread onto the back of the chain, hopefully it'll stick more closely to the chain and the capillary forces will keep the glue from spreading. Maybe:) Some experimentation is needed i guess.

And I've been thinking of doing heat burns on the exhausts, as i want to put them on the giant melta cannon of the knight. This whole mini is basically a change to experiment before tackling that project. Maybe i'll do a rhino too, just to get some smooth reds on larger flat areas.

Excellent work, mate. And glad to be of help! :smile.:

Having the eyes white as a shout out to Wade's army is charming, to be sure, but I actually find white helmet lenses to be a pretty poor choice in general -- and that was basically the only thing about Wade's army I wasn't 100% sold on. This really taps into a bigger subject, though: As I know from painful experience, red and bronze (and silver) is a very strong colour scheme, but it can also end up looking pretty monotonous. So the smart thing would be to - eventually - pick a colour you can use to break up that monotony a bit here and there and add a bit of pop. For me, that colour has been blue and/or turquoise so far (for eyes, plasma coils, the planets in WE badges, glowing sensors and lenses, stuff like that). Your colour of choice can obviously be different, and you don't even need to figure it all out right now. It's something I'd really recommend as an important part of a working World Eaters colour scheme.

Those continent outlines on the planet are really charming, though! :smile.:

And seeing that reactor section, here's one more suggestion for you: Adding some dirt and grime to both the exhaust pipes and the smaller vents can be a great way of adding some extra authenticity to a Dread -- here's a picture of one of my Contemptors to illustrate my point, if you'll excuse the plug:

vaako-the-immortal-world-eaters-contempt

Creating a suitable effect is really easy: Just use brown and black washes and/or thinned down brown and black paint and build up the effect as desired by washing and stippling as needed. Vallejo's Smoky Ink can also be a really big help, although it's by no means a compulsory tool.

Anyway, hope this helps! :smile.:

Oh that dread is glorious. It's funny how many ways there are to improve the, rather lacklustre, BaC contemptor. I'll definitely try emulating the grime around the vents, thanks for the walkthrough:)

As for colours, I was thinking about it earlier and it seems like green and blue are the main choices. I'll have to go through both your and Bio's threads to decide hehe.

gallery_73760_13626_134143.png

I went through some old boxes looking for paints, unfortunately they have all dried up pretty good. Except for a couple of pots of Chestnut Ink and Black Ink, which seem to have survived the past 5 years pretty fine. Are there any old-timers who might put these tu use? I don't want to use them myself, seeing as finding replacements might be hard, so if anyone wants them i can send em over.

Also pictured, a masterpiece painted by a 13-year-old me.

If I recall its properties correctly, that Black Ink should work really well for adding soot and grime to that Contemptor's reactor section -- just sayin'... ;)

Also, because I forgot the matter of adding glue to chains in my last comment: Believe it or not, but I have been using a small piece of tissue paper rolled up into a "spike", so to speak, with a blob of superglue on the tip, to carefully apply the glue to various areas of the chain. It's a very similar approach to your nail, but it worked better for me because there was a little more give in the tissue paper -- or maybe I just imagined that. An alternative would be to go for a superglue that is really, really thin and less gel-like. Ultimately, it seems to me that it'll always remain a rather experimental - and inelegant - technique. The good news is that any sprayed undercoat you apply usually serves to make the chain a bit less flexible as well.

• 4 months later...

Good evening!

It's been a while, me and my gf have bought an apartment so time and dimes have been a bit tight. On the other hand, i now have a room of my own in the basement (we have not seen much of each other since i began setting stuff up down there:D)

Nevertheless, all these new releases managed to pull me back in, surprisingly enough. I have only begun cutting them up, but i'd figured i'd share this just to let ya'll know i'm still alive.

gallery_73760_13626_62423.jpg

New guy. Chainaxe. Blood warrior bits. All is well.

I've picked up a set of the Shadowspear marines from ebay, and i must say i love these guys so far. It almost seems like they are designed with conversions in mind, sure they're monpose, but they are suprisingly easy to cut apart due to the way they're designed. This mini for example came with a shoulder pad attached, but it was really easy to remove without damage to the shoudler nor the chest (which i of course cut apart anyways, but that's beside the point). I'll pick up a box or two of the multipart marines eventually, which will provide an arm and some shoulder pads for this new guy.

gallery_73760_13626_30661.jpg

The new plastics fits quite nicely with my older berserkers. I might swap out a piece or two of the older models, to minimize the difference between old and new (the flamer guy above has got a new MkIV helmet for instance).

Finally, I'm thinking of getting my lord a new suit of terminator armor. Abaddon's new model is obviously a rip-off of my super-original design anyways, so it only seems right;)

More to come!

Edited by ElDuderino

Good evening!

It's been a while, me and my gf have bought an apartment so time and dimes have been a bit tight. On the other hand, i now have a room of my own in the basement (we have not seen much of each other since i began setting stuff up down there:D)

Nevertheless, all these new releases managed to pull me back in, surprisingly enough. I have only begun cutting them up, but i'd figured i'd share this just to let ya'll know i'm still alive.

gallery_73760_13626_62423.jpg

Man. This guy right here is one of the coolest conversions with the new Chaos Space Marine models I've seen so far. Top notch work!

Loving this guy dude, exactly how I am imagining GW will go with new Berzerkers. I agree with you too, the shadowspear marines are a really great kit to work with, lots of subtle and not so subtle conversions to be had.

Can I just say I love your Urkrathos conversion too - that artwork holds a special place in my dark heart so I look forward to seeing more of him :)

Loving this guy dude, exactly how I am imagining GW will go with new Berzerkers. I agree with you too, the shadowspear marines are a really great kit to work with, lots of subtle and not so subtle conversions to be had.

Can I just say I love your Urkrathos conversion too - that artwork holds a special place in my dark heart so I look forward to seeing more of him :)

Thanks! I'm quite happy with my Urkathos, I'll finish him once the budget allows me to get the multipart csm, he deserves some of those sweet shoulder pads:)

And I must say that I love your take on the guy too, it's a shame those characters never wad made into minis.

Man. This guy right here is one of the coolest conversions with the new Chaos Space Marine models I've seen so far. Top notch work!

Thanks man, it means a lot coming from you, I remember drooling over your old Raptors and wondering if that dark souls game was worth picking up:D

Oh man.

*HEAVY BREATHING*

World Eaters!! Those look awesome but the one on the far right has me drooling a bit! Also good to hear about the new digs and your new hobby lair! Now keep more of this coming!

That's an older mini actually, but something just works with that guy. Porportind maybe? Thanks nevertheless:)

UHHHHH stapppppp making it even more tempting to do all my new guys as WE!!!!!! Awesome work great poses mate

Thanks dude! Glad you like them, maybe one or two guys of yours can don the red too?;)

gallery_73760_13626_965101.jpg

gallery_73760_13626_723783.jpg

I haven't been lazy, this guy is the only one more or less finished though. I must say I'm very happy I finally have a reason to build a gatling gun wielding lunatic. H does look a bit naked without some sort of melee weapon though, that needs to be taken care of. And a custom head of some sort.