New Crusade Assembles

zarkkarn

Slowly getting back into hobby. played around with a few different ways of painting black and finally got some completed models put together just got a Intercessor and Reiver for the time being.

I know alot of people aren't fans of the new primaris line but I am really enjoying the more detailed sculpts.

All CC welcome - tried a bit of freehand on the reiver but I found it insanely hard to get the cross looking crisp so am going to try some transfers on next model.

http://i.imgur.com/WokyWDIl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FMc11r6l.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/0YQy7UUl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/D9A49iPl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LmgC6yXl.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/kw47wehl.jpg

Looking great man.

I've recently started Black Templars myself and I'm also building a Primaris heavy army.

Have you had many games yet?

I'm interested to see how Reviers do for us but as you've said, a lot of BT players don't like the new primaris stuff, so its hard to get feedback. >_<

It will jsut take some time for the old grumblers to settle in with the new kids ;)

I like the way you're doing highlights, gives a nice flow while neither looking too crisp nor too worn. The crosses are a bit sloppy, but that gets better with practice as i've learned the hard way recently. The markings on the kneepad look awesome though!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for feedback guys, haven't started playing yet purely on the hobbyist side at the moment. Besides the rate its taken me to paint a couple of models will prob be a while till I have an adequate sized force ready to hit table.

Ondig - I agree they probably look a bit too clean at the moment, I did try some weathering powder on one of my test minis but didn't like the outcome, as skill improves can hopefully add few of those effects in.

got a few more intercessors sitting on desk ready to be painted but decided wanted to work on a character so have begun up-scaling my emperors champion to primaris should have something to show in a few days.

First off, welcome to the Eternal Crusade brother! Your sword is very welcome here.

Regarding the Primaris, I think you demonstrate that a mix of parts can turn these "monsters" into wonderful representatives of Sigismund and Dorn.

The Primaris are great sculpts, so enjoy working with them and prepare to unleash your ZEAL upon the Emperor's galaxy.

IMPERATOR  VULT!

• 3 weeks later...

Taken longer than anticipated but finally got my emperors champion to a standard I am happy with. Tried my hand at a tiny bit of OSL and a little bit of weathering after being spurred on from Ondig previous comment. Would love to know any tips for how to get paint in the etched letters on sword. I tried watering down the paint to a wash and then wiping off excess on surface with towel quickly but its now left alot of metallic flecks across the surface of the sword.

Rs4XEY9l.jpg

gyNcGb2l.jpgChQeJJXl.jpg

h3saFaTl.jpgvo8TcAgl.jpg

dang it...

Love what you did... hated the fact that they are Primaris...

Then again you are new... so you probably don't have 100% of your force made up of old Marines... :D

but really nice work... and as for the sword, there's no other way than to be patient, thin your paints, use a really high pigment colored paint so it stands out a lot and paint it in the recesses...

I recommend, painting it on with a really fine tipped brush, and painting on the flat-non letter areas while avoiding the letters to make the letters stand out... if you want it gold, you have to mix it with white or a really bright color to make it stand-out so it's much more visible... the only other alternative is to make the letters glow with a little OSL and some glow-y style  paint like blue or green to make it stand out...

but again... really nice work... some bloodstains on the sword would make it perfect since he's holding a severed bloody head...

The first Marines you posted looked nice. Not at all bad, not killer, but a solid tabletop job. Your Emperor's Champion, however, looks really great. Whatever you did there, keep it up, because it definitely worked.

Also, the only advice I can give for freehand is to keep the paint quite thin. It's easier to touch up in multiple layers (at least for me) as I go to get dark enough coverage than to do it perfectly in one go. It also means mistakes are thinner and easier to cover, and touching up shapes from the white paint side is more viable.

<Emperor's Champion looks at the rest of the demon horde> "YOU WANT SOME OF THIS?!!!"

I had to go back and read your text. I thought you were going for a "Damascus steel" effect on the sword. I think if you used some thin washes to darken it a little, then go over the edges with silver highlights, you could get there.

I too, like your grimy battle worn look.

Well done brother!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind feedback guys, glad the amount of extra time invested has paid off. 

@marshal_roujakis - I will have to try out lightening the metallics up when I come to retouch it.

@Bjorn Firewalker - Glad the little bit of theatre is coming through.

@Honda - I think maybe I tried to accomplish a few too many different techniques in one go. I was going for a marbled look which I was happy with but then thought id try painting the etched letters and it kind of ruined the effect when bits of the metallics went on blade. Might try repainting sword at later date.

Works really been limiting my spare time lately but I have been getting my grimaldus conversion ready for the character conversion competition.

Not a massive fan of the original models corzius but I think i still need to add some templar iconography somehow to mine.

BYhkUj4l.jpg

Not a massive fan of the original models corzius but I think i still need to add some templar iconography somehow to mine.

Yes, but you must understand that it is Mordred's crozius, a sacred weapon. It must be represented.

I too, did not like the original sculpt, so I made my own. With your gs skills you ought be able to do a whole lot better then my attempt.

gallery_15184_7227_105331.jpg

Note: I used the crozius from the cover of the novel "Helsreach" to base mine on.

gallery_15184_7227_105331.jpg

This looks crude, but brutal- like the stone hammers with which cavemen waged war on prehistoric Terra. I think it'll be most effective if your Chaplain shouts, "I shall go Age of Strife on your posterior!" to the enemies whose faces he's about to smash in. (Watch Quentin Tarantino's 1994 film 'Pulp Fiction' to get the reference.) Edited by Bjorn Firewalker