3000 Point Word Bearers - Last of the Serrated Sun

WBGMatt

Howdy folks,

After a little advice if people would be so kind.
I'm off to Warhammer World in September and have got a few of Heresy games lined up (one against Mechanicum, and a couple of larger 2v2s (unfortunately I don't know what my ally will be bringing for these)).
I'm taking my Word Bearers up and was wondering what people thought about the below list.
(Unfortuntely, I'm a little restricted in additional models at the moment, but if there are any significant changes people suggest, I'm willing to consider them!)

Thanks all!

3000 Points - Last of the Serrated Sun RoW

HQ:
Centurion - Rides with the Veterans
Artificer Armour, Refractor Field, Power Weapon, Melta Bombs, Burning Lore

Centurion - Rides with Lorgar and the Command Squad
Artificer Armour, Boarding Shield, Power Weapon, Melta Bombs, Burning Lore
Consul Upgrade > Chaplain

Centurion - Rides with Lorgar and the Command Squad
Cataphractii Terminator Armour
Consul Upgrade > Librarian (ML 2)

Elites:
Cataphractii Terminator Squad
Sgt w. Power Fist, Combi Plasma and Grenade Harness
3 Combi Plasma, 1 Plasma Blaster
2 Power Fists, 1 Lightning Claw, 1 Chainfist
Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod (Dedicated Transport)

Veteran Tactical Squad (9 man) > Marksmen
Sgt with Artificer Armour and Power Fist
4 x Combi Melta
4x Standard Veteran
Legion Drop Pod (Dedicated Transport)

Troops:
Gal Vorbak (5 man)
Dark Martyr with Power Fist and Artificer Armour

Legion Tactical Squad
Sgt with Artificer Armour
Vexilla

Legion Tactical Support Squad (10 man)
Sgt with Artificer Armour
Meltaguns

Heavy Support:
Leviathan Siege Dreadnought
Grav Flux Bombard, Phosphex Discharger
Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod (Dedicated Transport)

Lord of War:
Lorgar
Upgraded to Transfigured

Legion Command Squad
Standard Bearer with Power Fist, 4 Chosen with Power Weapons

Hopefully that's readable!

I'm not entirely convinced by it, but I think it could do ok.

With regards to additional models/units, I have:

Zardu Layak and the Blade Slaves
5 Quad Mortars
2 Laser Rapiers
A Plasma Support Squad (I think 8 strong)
A melee focused Veteran Squad
A 5 man Missile Launcher Heavy Support Squad
A Contemptor Mortis with Kheres cannons and Havoc Launcher
Probably another tactical squad or two that I could paint up
3 more Drop Pods

Any C&C is very much appreciated!

Ta
Matt

Edited to include the extra units

Edited by WBGMatt

Not sure about the tac squad when you can have GV to fill the troops slot but it seems you don't have a lot of choice on that side.

Maybe I would swap the librarian for Zardu in order to get some summoning (Tzeentch herald with sacrifice is quite nasty when you need some firepower with the primaris spell)

You will also struggle vs flyers due to no long range av.

Maybe try ti fit one or two nuncios to avoid some scattering on second wave pods.

You could swap one centu for some quad mortars to get some relaible firepower.

But I think you auto lose the game if you don't have the T1. (you can houserule this if you want but afaik, it's how it should be played)

And I would be very curious to watch the batrep of this army if you plan to record it

Thanks Argel Tal!
Yeah, ideally I'd have more Gal Vorbak but unfortunately I only have the one squad of them (at the moment) so needed that second Compulsory Troop choice. They'll probably just drop in on an objective later in the game and not do all that much!

Zardu was definitely up there on the 'do I/Don't I' scale. The summoning is a good call actually, although it does mean I'd have to go and get some daemons as I don't currently have any...

Yeah flyers were something I was a little worried about, but hopefully the majority of my army will be too close to the opponents board edge for them to really have that much of an impact!

Nuncio voxes! Damnit I knew I'd forgotten something...

The Quads were also something I was really struggling with. I do love them, but I was a little worried of them getting shot off the table if I didn't get first turn.

Ah, that changes things. I'd always believed that it was the first GAME turn rather than PLAYER turn. Must have misread that (or got my editions mixed up). Ok, definitely needs a change up then!

I've also just noticed that I messed up on the Support Squad pricing. I hadn't taken into account the cost of the Meltas for the additional 5 guys. So the above list is actually 70 points over... Definitely needs a rewrite!

Cheers dude, hopefully I'll be able to get a practise game or two in before we go up there. Unfortunately we're not able to film up at Warhammer World. I could probably do a write up, hopefully with some pictures, though if you'd be interested?

Cheers dude, I very much appreciate the comments!

Edited to include the points issue realisation

Edited by WBGMatt

Yep, that's what the 10 strong tac squad do best: sitting on objectives and throw some papers at the enemy ^^ 

Cursed earth is quite good on its own to give some juicy 4++ to GV but as you only have on squad and no summoning plan, I'd say the librarian would be more effective. (Pyromancy just suck for Zardu...). 

Concerning the flyers, it really depends on the deployement type you will have (if you use the random chart for deployement type). Some of them allow the flyers to come from weird angles. The Mortis with the Kheres can be a good option for flyers but I find its range quite hard to use, especially when you can take a deredeo to pew pew all the flying stuff like crazy. Even a standard sicaran can be quite effective to deal with everything. 

Well as I said if you play with the latest rules, you'd have to take some units on the ground and quads can do the job very well. Just hide them behind rocks and use nuncio voxes to avoid scattering but no shatter shell with this tactic. And IMO one of the biggest strength of the Last of the Serrated Sun ROW is the ability to keep a strong gunline without any restriction and still having the mobility of the pods. If you really want to bring the cheese, consider the phosphex shells with a forge lord or a siege guy (which can join a vet to give some tank hunter) 

I'd be very interested to read it yes :) This rite is so awesome: very thematic and still quite effective. 

Yes indeed, that was the plan...

However... I may have ordered myself another squad of Gal Vorbak  earlier...

So there'll definitely be a re-write coming up soon!

Cursed Earth is a good shout as well actually. I've only used Daemonology once so I'd forgotten about that!

That's a good point on the deployment zones. I think I'm going to just going to let them do their thing and focus on the ground targets to be honest. I'm not sure what to take out to squeeze the Mortis in, so I'll just deal with them with whatever I have available!

Quads are definitely in, not sure how many I can fit, but we'll see!

I very much appreciate your comments mate, thank you very much!

Okey dokes, 

How about this? I've actually added up the points correctly this time too (I hope), so that's an immediate improvement!

Legion and Allegiance:   XVII: Word Bearers, Traitor
Rite of War: Last of the Serrated Sun

+ HQ +

Centurion [115pts]: Artificer Armour, Boarding Shield, Bolt Pistol, Burning Lore, None, Power Weapon
. Consul: Legion Centurion

Centurion [150pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Burning Lore, None, Power Weapon, Refractor Field
. Consul: Chaplain

+ Elites +

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery [180pts]: 3x Legion Rapier

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [265pts]: Legion Drop Pod, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen
. Legion Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chainsword/Combat Blade
. Legion Veteran Space Marines: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade
. . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Meltagun
. Legion Veteran Space Marines: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chainsword or Combat Blade
. Legion Veteran Space Marines: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Nuncio-vox
. Legion Veteran Space Marines W/ Special Weapon: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Meltagun
. Legion Veteran Space Marines W/ Special Weapon: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Meltagun

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [265pts]: Legion Drop Pod, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen
. Legion Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chainsword/Combat Blade
. Legion Veteran Space Marines: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Nuncio-vox

+ Troops +

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren [340pts]: 4x Dark Brethren
. Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod: Frag Assault Launchers
. Dark Martyr: Artificer Armour, Power Fist

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren [340pts]: 4x Dark Brethren
. Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod: Frag Assault Launchers
. Dark Martyr: Artificer Armour, Power Fist

Legion Tactical Support Squad Meltagun [210pts]: Legion Drop Pod, 4x Legion Space Marines
. Entire Squad may exchange their Flamers for:: Meltagun
. Legion Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Meltagun

+ Heavy Support +

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon [410pts]: Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod
. Leviathan Siege Dreadnought: Armoured Ceramite, Grav-flux Bombard, Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Leviathan Siege Claw

+ Lords of War +

Lorgar [725pts]: Lorgar Transfigured
. Legion Command Squad: 4x Legion Space Marine Chosen, None, Power Fist, 4x Power Weapon
. . Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod: Frag Assault Launchers

++ Total: [3000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net

I'm likely going to be putting both Centurions in with Lorgar and the Command Squad, although I'm also toying with the idea of the non Chaplain going with the Melta squad.

If I did go down that route (with him in the Melta squad) I'd likely swap out the Refractor field on the Chaplain for a Boarding Shield. Gotta love those Defensive Grenades!

Still no anti-air, but I think I'm just going to have to accept that.

The Melta squad is cut in half (down to 5 guys) but I couldn't really help that either, and adding in the second Melta Veteran squad I think helps mitigate that slightly.

Should the Vets be Machine Killers instead of Marksmen? I'm leaning towards keeping them as Marksmen just for more all round utility...

Looks good :) 

As you say, I'm not so sure about the melta on the vets, it makes all the other guy useless. Unles you plan to take combi melta, I'd prefer use the plasma guns or combi plas on vets to target TEQ or MEQ and don't waste any shots. You can also try the heavy bolter way but I find it a bit expensive for one more bolter shot. 

Try to fond some points for the phospex launcher for the levi, always a fun tool to use and rarely disappoint when it hits. 

For the std centu, depends on how you want to play him but telepathy is mainly good for invis and when you get it the game becomes a bit stupid. On the other side if you take biomancy, you want to get in mele so would be better with a mele squad. Although psychic shriek can still be quite nice, all the other powers are decent but not over the top and hallucination is not reliable. 

For the melta, at this level of point un less you play against a titan, I don't think that you'll need the full 10 melta guys. Only 5/7 are enough to do the job, especially when you have frop pods all over the place (don't forget the pinning test near your pods btw ^^) and the melta sergent would appreciate an artificer armor. Poor lad, he sould feel sad compare to all the other guys . 

And one little point: don't pay for a power weapon on the chap, it's already included in its consul rules. 

Thanks dude!

Good points all round!

I have a couple of combi-meltas in each veteran squad, but unfortunately not enough modelled to give them all one. I may drop them and switch out to Plasma as you suggest. Seems like a sensible option to me!

I was planning on Biomancy on either the Chaplain or Cebturion, depending on who went with Lorgar and the Command Saw. I'll probably just put them both in there for maximum psychic options :)

Good point on the Power Weapon, I'm never sure if Battlescribe counts it or not!

Removing the Power weapon upgrade and dropping the combi-meltas should get me the points for the Phosphex and Plasma.

Oh, and hopefully the upgrade for the Support Sgt as you say! He seemed like the best place to save the points as they'd probably end up being used in a fairly suicidal manner!

Cheers for all your help mate, I very much appreciate it!