An Iron Hands Primaris successor chapter scheme

Ascanius

Good evening,

I'm thinking about a new scheme for a Primaris chapter, inspired by a combination of the Sons of Medusa (primarily green with black/white/silver details) and the Iron Lords (primarily black with red legs). This is what I have come up with:

http://i.imgur.com/Y8OdFGG.jpg

So first, please give me your constructive criticism; I'm open to suggestions. My wife suggested the pale silver helmet, rather than black like the Iron Lords, and I know I can also add a bit more contrast with backpack elements.

The main question I'm stuck on now is what their chapter symbol ought to be, and what colour(s) to use. I like the idea of using an existing chapter's symbol in a different colour a la Imperial/Crimson Fists, perhaps so I can use some molded third-party shoulderpads, or using different elements together, like swapping the skull in the Sons of Medusa symbol for something else but keeping the spiked halo.

I thought I might designate sergeants with a red stripe rather than an entirely red helm, and perhaps veterancy with a black stripe since the helms are pale silver.

At this stage, I think the chapter won't show company colour. I'm also inclined towards the outline versions of squad designators, like the current Codex: Space Marines patterns for the Raven Guard:

http://i.imgur.com/QhWpL3u.png

These would probably be done in black.

Alternatively, I might use one of the more heraldic variants that can be found in Insignium Astartes - i.e. vertically halved for battleline, diagonally quartered for close support, a triangle for fire support, a cross for veteran - if for no other reason than that they're easier to paint.

Edited by mhacdebhandia

I don't think that's exactly how the Raven Guard do it. The codex page that's from doesn't seem to say that. The right shoulder guard displays company colours. 

But that shouldn't stop you from doing the squad designation with the outline. I quite like that, so have at it. Black and red stripe for LTs I suppose?

Sorry, I wasn't clear - Raven Guard do show company colours, as you can see in the picture, but the image is supposed to relate to the outline style of squad type markings. I should have split up the two thoughts.

Yeah, I think black and red stripes for lieutenants, though maybe black-red-black-red-black to distinguish it from a veteran sergeant's helmet and make it a bit more elaborate. I'd have to play around and see how it looked!

I like the idea of using recoloring an existing chapter icon. I'm considering doing so with with my own Iron Hands successor. My advice would be to look at Pop Goes thee Monkey or Plokoone's Bits on Shapeways and see if they produce a symbol you'd like to reappropriate. Personally I think reusing the Son's of Medusa icon with the skull in one. Color and the Halo in another would be cool.