Acastus Knight Porphyrion

TheAlephNull

Just curious if anyone else is incorporating an Acastus Knight Porphyrion into their current Chaos list? Most the opponents I face (loyalist and traitor) role out a lot of  Knights, Sicarans, Fellblades, Cereberus, Kytans, and Brass Scorpions (faction respective). I'm just curious how this large quad laser toting lad will equalize the field, or not. Would love to hear tactics if anyone is using one. 

from looking at its rules briefly

pro's 

good bs (starting 2+)

lots of dmg to high wound targets - averaging 24 wounds on a t7+ target depending on invul saves (this is one shotting most 300-600 point heavies )

looks fantastic

cons

5+ invul is less than the regular imperial knight

that baby is expensive, money and points (around 800 inculding gear)

for that points investment you could get 4 lascannon predators - which average 25 wounds to t8 and below (more versatile, can shoot at different targets if destroyed by previous tank)

from looking at its rules briefly

pro's 

good bs (starting 2+)

lots of dmg to high wound targets - averaging 24 wounds on a t7+ target depending on invul saves (this is one shotting most 300-600 point heavies )

looks fantastic

cons

that baby is expensive, money and points (around 800 inculding gear)

for that points investment you could get 4 lascannon predators - which average 25 wounds to t8 and below (more versatile, can shoot at different targets if destroyed by previous tank)

I had not noticed the lower invulnerable save. The T9 is nice but (correct me if wrong) hardly makes up for that. My plan for very large games is to run this with an Atrapos and a Styrix to try and cover all bases. 

Edited by TheAlephNull

I honestly think T9 is extremely valuable since anything short of a Lascannon or Railgun will wound it on 5+ instead of 4+ like most other "tough" vehicles/monsters and even Lascannons only wound it on 4+ instead of 3+.

Edited by sfPanzer

That thing is insane, but it's entirely rock, paper, scissors. It will absolutely maul people who rely on big models like knights and so on, but do nothing against horde armies. It looks fantastic, but I'm not sure who I'd play it against. Neither of the options above seem fun to me. Hopefully they'll make some more interesting guns for the same, wonderful chassis in the future.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but doesn't regular knight also have 5+ inv?

The other Chaos knights get a 4+ vs shooting and a 5+ vs melee if I remember correctly. Porphyrion gets a 5+ vs shooting and no save vs melee.

Nope, renegade knights have a 5+ against shooting. Imperial knight is presumably the same.

You are correct, mostly. Now that I got my book in front of me, what confused me is the Styrix, Atrapos, and Maegera have a 4+ vs shooting and a 5+ vs melee. Just funny that the Porphyrion, which is also a Mechanicum specific build, it a 5+ shooting only. Maybe its a balancing issue for the beast.