Sounds awesome STD :) really cool theme! And no shame in doing a straight from box gang, im planning on doing the same :) I need my gang up and running quickly and I need to ease my way back into the hobby.

I love the HellRaiser movies, but I do find them really scary. Can't watch them on my own lol. I think the Jesus pose, with bursting chains sounds more cinematic :)

Im glad you said the Jesus pose, its what I wanted to do but I was having a 'cba' moment with all the effort, I just needed a nudge to get the ball rolling. This heats totally wiped me out, my get up and go has got up and gone! :lol:

Not sure what colour to paint my Stealers, I was thinking dark green cloth with bone or white armour, but I have Biel-Tan Eldar and dont want to use the same colours across two armies. Buuuut my first Nid army was off white and green, and I did have a game once when some Purestrain Genestealers had to get on an evacuation ship to spread the infection, so technically I am just continuing where I left off.

I can see me starting a full Cult for 40k, the Neophyte Hybrids are an absolute pleasure to build and you get a :cuss: ton of spare bits left over, and I have been eyeing up the Goliath truck and some choice Ork gubbinz and snazzy doowotz so I can Mad Max the bad boy. Maybe some fat rear wheels and a furry Genestealer on the front.

Quick update on the Cenobite Cult. At the moment Pinhead is in bits, the JC pose has turned out harder than I thought with what I have to work with. The Wiretwins are ready for paint now, I just need to figure out how long their hair is, atm its probably longer than the actual minis.

The Butcher was going to have an iron mask, but I have decided to 'try' sculpting him a chubby cherub face closer to the source material. He also needs a flail and a lot of the Nurgly boils and fleshy bits removed.

I have also decided to add a skinless Julia and Angelique to the gang, gonna need more Witch Elves I think.

Will do when I figure out how to do it from my phone, I usually do all that on my laptop but thats messed up'd atm.

++EDIT++

So it seems that next months WD mag has the rules for Venators in. Jolly good!! :wub:

I wonder if we will see any new artwork?

Edited by Slave to Darkness

Well Pinheads JC pose is not working, cant get the arms to look right and I cant find any hands that are the same size. I have decided to leave him for a bit and crack on with other stuff, the Wire Twins have been primed, the Butcher has his flail and a basic neck/head sculpted ready for the Cherub mask tomorrow.

Just started a chap based on this (if I can get the link to work) gallery_75911_9926_101558.png

Im thinking as the Vasa Inquitatis (Cenobite order) is a 'religious' order this guy may as well be waving one of those insence thingys about. There is also this image http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/sizes/233084-images-25/medium/ that has tickled my fancy, some form of fallen Sorrorita maybe? Any ideas on how to push the religious slant whilst keeping them Chaotic?

The Flagellant boxed set might be a good starting point mate. There is a head in there that has bands of metal wrapped around it that might make a good starting point. I'd be inclined to look at the Dark Eldar stuff as well for bits, stuff like the homunculus.

I think I still have a baggie of assorted Flagellant heads left over somewhere, hopefully I will have one of those head in there. As for the Dark Eldar stuff, they have some rather juicy bits I cant wait to get my hands on. But alas, so many ideas, so little coin.

I do wish GW would do Slaaneshi Eldar, they could get Clive Barker to design some stuff. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Due to mental health amongst other problems I have not really been getting much hobby time, tbh I have kinda fallen out of love with GW due to bad rules and crap minis.

But as the Call of Chaos is getting louder I have decided to get my finger out and finish off my Chaos Cult. Also Grotsmashas duel/diorama challenge gives me the excuse to make the Marine shooting Scavvies diorama I have been wanting to do. Now I get to convert a Primaris into a Mk6 marine.Yay.

Sorry to hear your having such a hard time STD :( I too have been absent for really sucky real life stuff, but the new Rogue Trader set has got me wanting to do a Rogue Trader Venerator team. So hopefully we will bump into each other more on the forum :) Looking forward to seeing more of your chaos cult and diorama! Hope things get better for you soon lovely <3

:) thanks hun, means a lot. I hope everything is ok with your real life stuff now.

I did notice your new Escher on another forum, they are looking pretty damn good. :wub:

• 1 year later...

Picked up a Cawdor gang the other day, quite like the new Munda sculpts, fun to paint.

Still very WIP, just getting the basecoats down atm so I can get them on the tabletop.

med_gallery_75911_13630_1381261.jpg

Gonna pick up another box and some of the FW blingbling for them, although I may pick up some Ambots next, they look fun to work with..

Also anybody got any good ideas what I can use as the basis of a Stig Shambler?

Also anybody got any good ideas what I can use as the basis of a Stig Shambler?

There’s a few decent starting points - AoS Orruk Brutes, Ogryns, the new Chaos Ogryn from Blackstone Fortress...

I have been looking at the big thingy pulling the Chaos Chariot, but I'm torn between making a Stig Shambler or a Spawn based on the 'Baby' from the film The Void... Hmmm choices choices... I do have a few Ogres on sprue kicking about somewhere, might dig those out and see what I have to work with. 

AoS Stormfiends minus some of the armour plating might work - lots of rags and a slightly hunched posture. 

If you're willing to cut loose with a scalpel and lots of greenstuff and want to go for something really different - Vulgrar Thrice-Cursed from KT: Rogue Trader is another possibility:

01.jpg

-Ran

• 1 month later...

Well I forgot I borrowed Magos Purple off a friend to check out these new fangled contrast paints and slapped it over the faces of some Stealer Hybrids and wow... GW that looks like total utter :cuss!! Glad I never bought into the hype and wasted a load of money on these things, not impressed at all. 

On a more positive note I have started a Genestealer gang, been tinkering around with three Neophytes tonight (as well as Deus Vulting my way across the holy lands in Medieval - Total War and watching Knightfall at the same time, thats why I have only done three, and am now (again) fighting off the urge to start Black Templars :tongue.: ). Really enjoying the Hybrids, might even end up starting a 40k army of them, one day, maybe, in the far far future if I dont die first.

Edited by Slave to Darkness

I see what you mean about the lack of pigment,its very wishywashy. A lot pinker than I expected as well, still after some washes and highlighting it might be ok. 

I’ve noticed they tend to act very differently to each other. They don’t all have the same sort of coverage, or pool differently. I’ve been experimenting with them for my Plague Marines, and Aethermatic Blue/Plaguebearer Flesh over Blood Angels Red just ends up looking diseased as hell.

Nothing much to report, started some more scenery bits but still early days so no point in sharing anything yet. Got a couple of building started and I am currently sketching out other bits I might need. Should be starting a pool of toxic waste tomorrow and some assorted walkways and access ramps to the higher levels. I did get a good idea for hab blocks the other day, I was watching Ready Player One and was quite taken with the caravans stacked on top of each other like some english economy council estate flats with dodgy scaffolding holding it all together. I might run with that idea but use storage containers instead, will be easier to make them than it will be sourcing caravans in the correct scale. 

In other news I am still playing around with the Magos Purple for the Hybrids skin tone and I am still a bit meh with it, although I do want to try some of the other colours out, would save a lot of time when I get round to painting Fenrisian Wolves for my Space Furries. 

Have you tried using the contrast medium added to the purple if you're still trying to use contrast for their skin tone?

Contrast Medium works pretty well to add more subtle colour variations, although sometimes it means adding a second coat to get the desired effect.