I'm liking 8th ed

Zeruvar

Finally had a chance to play 8th ed with 2 games. Considering how I was unfamiliar with the rules, I was able to put make a Tau player struggle for his win (which would have gone my way if the game went turn 6) and had a decisive victory against a UM army.

First things first, I love the vehicle changes. My 2 lrcs does not feel as vulnerable anymore from one shot KO hits. One of the pair became a huge distraction (which shoots a decent amount of dakka back) trudging along through 4 rounds of shooting keeping My hq and his assault squad safe until they had to go to work. The other one just mops up whatever the first one can't finish off.

The second one is the removal of shooting arcs. Admittedly I thought that made the game a little "cheap" eapecially for flyers like the stormraven (shooting targets behind me?), and I made sure I only shoot in my front arc. But still not having to worry where my front is means my hurricane bolters are useful no matter if can turn them head-on.

The star of the last 2 games though were my devastator squad. 2x ML and 2x LC took downgainst a Tau commander, a hammerhead, 2 predators, 3 rhinos/razorbacks and an LRC. Taking out the heavy armor made dealing with my twin LRCs and their HQ/crusader assault harder to deal with. Oh and aInfinally get to use my Heavy bolter marines and not feel its a waste of points.

Highlight was Helbrecht and his crusader squad going against a Librarian and his assault terminators. Imagine 2 lrcs locked in combat in the middle of the map alongside 2 crusader squads fighting the terminators. Then a thunder hammer falls down on my LRC and I roll a 6 to explode! Bad rolls leaves both of us at half strenght (both our chaplains eat it, his apothecary dies, a third crusader squad gets wiped out, and my biker captain crashes after shrapnel hits him from max range). By the end of the fight, only Helbrecht remains alone in the field (had to fall back to let my devastators finish the enemy LRC though).

All in all I am just happy I get to use models I have built and painted even but never played from previous editions but finally get to use them now and not feel like I could use something much better.

Give my Vindis their Templates back and I'll be quite happy with 8th (well, comfortably content at least).  The talk about giving all armies Ob Sec in the future will be a major downturn, though.  The 1 game I've had against a horde army was already a pain in the ass without that little nightmare adding to the fire.

Edited by Firepower

I have to agree on the loss of blast templates for my vindicators. But as I never got to finish painting the 3 I had since I keep them in my bag for games, the LRCs and Stormravens where just taking up display cases and finally pulling them out for a game felt nice. I still remember the fond days of 4th ed BT vindicators with potms. Edited by Zeruvar

Objectives secured might not be as big a thing as it used to. GW is moving away from maelstrom games for its official tournament and the Konor narrative campaign hasn't used objectives so far.

It's nothing to be happy with. Maelstorm missions makes game more unpredictable And more fun. Not simply I'll kill you And that's all. Sometimes you won't win due to kill oponent but a bit of luck And tactical genius can give you victory. In my opinion more fun game at all

It's a matter of perspective. Personally, I never enjoyed playing maelstrom games

• against horde armies that would simply take all objectives T1 and then wither down all the shooting and stabbing you can dish out and still win because they've had most of the objectives for 3 turns. This is not strategy, this is playing the rules instead of playin
  • in which you draw "hold/secure objective 1" 3 times, except that objective is in the opponent's back field and you're NEVER going to get to it. Reciprocally, there's also the case where where you win without actually doing anything because you just draw the objectives in your back field multiple times.

I'm 1 in 3 on the 'good game' front, and 0 in 3 on wins.  :dry.:

I'm 3 in 4 on good games and 2 in 4 on wins. New edition might as well be a different game. Still, I like it.

Edited by Kontakt

In fairness my 'not good' games are largely a matter of evil dice, but one or two particularly obnoxious things like the new Vindicator rules (when vindis are pretty much my only heavy unit aside from the LRC) have been digging under my skin.

Best game... Emperor's Champion solo 3 characters killing them with 1 turn each... Sorcerer first, Lord second, Herald third... not my fault his herald waddled into a swinging Black Sword :p

Worst game... LRC gets bogged down by Gaunts... couldn't fire, couldn't Fall Back (Rhino behind me...) and couldn't shift them because of a nearby Flying Tyrant... meanwhile a 2nd group of fast moving Genestealers were rioting through my lines with impunity... annoying 36" movement... and this was all happening in the 2nd turn of a 1750 pts. game... Nids are scary this edition...