All-assault IG

Feral_80

Have you tried any assault-oriented IG list? It could be both funny and unusual to face, possibly surprising an opponent. Not suited to all games, however. I'd like to hear some reports on glorious IG assaults in your experience.

My take is more or less the following. I've recently purchased two squads of Ogryns and cannot wait to try them. What do you think of this list @2000 pts? Not sure how effective it could be, but it looks funny. Almost all units are meant to advance and assault, or counter-attack. I've not given Ogryns some Chimeras due to lack of points, and I quite like the idea of a 'swarm' assault.

(Actually, it tops at about 2.100 pts already, so I'd probably need to cut something. And I wanted to include Sentinels :sad.: )

Ministorum detachment: 2x priests

Astra telepathica detachment: 2x astropaths (psychic barrier)

DKK detachment:

• 1 Death Rider Commander
  • 1 Marshal
  • 1 Command squad with a regimental standard
  • 4x Infantry squads with a flamer each
  • 3x Death Rider squads (5x each, sgt with power mauls)

Astra Militarum detachment:

• Tempestor prime (rod)
  • Lord commissar
  • 2x Scions (5x men, 2x plasmagun and 1x plasma pistol)
  • 2x Bullgryns (3x each)
  • 2x Cyclops demo vehicle
  • 3x LR Conqueror (3x h.flamer each)
  • 1x Artemis Hellhound
  • 1x Bane Wolf
Edited by Feral_80

the priests and astropaths can be combined with the other detatchements since they do have the AM keyword. Only thing, bring in a DKOK death rider command squad so you can outflank with them!

This looks like fun to play with though.

I have thought about this myself since the drop of 8th

Bullgryns certainly can add some punch

With a priest the 'one head alone on the charge is the equivalent of a "veteran" autocannon heavy weapons team (ie. 6x S7, Ap-1, D2 attacks)

I would add some cheap mobility to get to the enemy sooner though or you'll be gunned down

I've been toying with the idea of

Vet squad w/ Sgt p.fist + plasma pistol, 3x flamers, 1x heavy flamer, shotguns for the rest in a Taurox or Chimera

Just for laughs :)

Actually I was also thinking about an aggressive assaultish style and would like to your opinion on my conceptual list:

Brigade + Vanguard Detachment:

#HQ

- Company Commander

- Pask (Punisher, Heavy Polter Sponson, Lascanon)

- Lord Commissar (Power Fist and Plasma Pistol)

- Tempestor Prime (Command Rod)

- Primaris Psyker

#Troops

- 4 Infantry Squads with Plasma Guns (or maybe flamers since they are assault weapons)

- 10x Scions (4xPlasma, Vox, Plasma Pistol)

- 10x Scions (Vox, 9x Hotshot-Lasgun, Plasma Pistol)

#Elite

- 3x Bullgyrns with Mauls

- Ministorum Priest

- Platoon Commander (Power Maul and Plasma Pistol)

- Veterans (3x Melta, Plasma Pistol and Shotguns)

- Veterans (3x Melta, Plasma Pistol, Heavy Flamer, Power Maul and Shotguns)

- Commissar

#Fast Attack

- 3x Scout Sentinel (Heavy Flamer)

#Heavy Support

- 3x Heavy Weapons Team with Mortars

#Transport and Flyer

- 2x Chimera with dual HF

- Taurox Prime (Gatling Canon and Hotshot-Volley-Guns

- Valkyries (2x Heavy Bolter, Multi-Laser, Multiple Rocket Pods)

Total: 2000 points

The idea is pretty straightforward:

- Pask, Company Commander, Commissar and Infantry Squads are in the center and advancing

- the cheaper Veteran Squad is inside the Valkyrie and get´s dropped as a suicide unit

- Plasma Scions are deepstriking

- Normal Scions are riding inside the Taurox and the Tempestor Prime gets dropped for some FRFSRF madness

- Bullgyrns, second Veteran Squads and support Characters (Psyker, Lord Commissar, Platoon Commander) go into the Chimera

- Sentinels are FA-tax and for denying deepstriking / moving into HF range

- Mortar teams are HS-tax

Do you think this could work or will I get complitily obliterated? Because I really like the idea of an army as an assault force specialized in tanking objectives :P 

Actually I was also thinking about an aggressive assaultish style and would like to your opinion on my conceptual list:

Brigade + Vanguard Detachment:

#HQ

- Company Commander

- Pask (Punisher, Heavy Polter Sponson, Lascanon)

- Lord Commissar (Power Fist and Plasma Pistol)

- Tempestor Prime (Command Rod)

- Primaris Psyker

#Troops

- 4 Infantry Squads with Plasma Guns (or maybe flamers since they are assault weapons)

- 10x Scions (4xPlasma, Vox, Plasma Pistol)

- 10x Scions (Vox, 9x Hotshot-Lasgun, Plasma Pistol)

#Elite

- 3x Bullgyrns with Mauls

- Ministorum Priest

- Platoon Commander (Power Maul and Plasma Pistol)

- Veterans (3x Melta, Plasma Pistol and Shotguns)

- Veterans (3x Melta, Plasma Pistol, Heavy Flamer, Power Maul and Shotguns)

- Commissar

#Fast Attack

- 3x Scout Sentinel (Heavy Flamer)

#Heavy Support

- 3x Heavy Weapons Team with Mortars

#Transport and Flyer

- 2x Chimera with dual HF

- Taurox Prime (Gatling Canon and Hotshot-Volley-Guns

- Valkyries (2x Heavy Bolter, Multi-Laser, Multiple Rocket Pods)

Total: 2000 points

The idea is pretty straightforward:

- Pask, Company Commander, Commissar and Infantry Squads are in the center and advancing

- the cheaper Veteran Squad is inside the Valkyrie and get´s dropped as a suicide unit

- Plasma Scions are deepstriking

- Normal Scions are riding inside the Taurox and the Tempestor Prime gets dropped for some FRFSRF madness

- Bullgyrns, second Veteran Squads and support Characters (Psyker, Lord Commissar, Platoon Commander) go into the Chimera

- Sentinels are FA-tax and for denying deepstriking / moving into HF range

- Mortar teams are HS-tax

Do you think this could work or will I get complitily obliterated? Because I really like the idea of an army as an assault force specialized in tanking objectives :P

It's a cool concept that could catch people of guard I myself would try and make the bullgryns 4 man and put them in the valk in stead of the veterans and try and find the points for a unit of rough riders just my two cents let us know how it goes would be interested to hear

Due to a Logistical error I am now the proud owner of 9 Bullgryns! Now I had always intended to have one modelled up as a Nork Deddog for character protection, would a footslogging unit of 8 Bullgryns be a wise idea? Probably running just behind Infantry squads to act as a contercharge unit. THAT should stop people getting into combat with y damn tanks...

Too many? Do they work when not in a transport?

With 8 of them (with T and 3W each) that will take a concentrated effort to lay down. For extra durability walk them up with a medic! They can be back line counter assaults or can move forward and crack some skulls.

I think 8 of them are certainly survivable on foot!

catch people of guard

No pun intended? ;)

I get your idea with the Bullgryns, but I am a bit worried, because firstly if I grav chute drop them, each roll of 1 means a dead Bullgryn.

And if I drop them first turn in the mid of my opponents army, they are dead for sure the next turn. (Which is also true for the veteran squad, but they are quite cheaper)