Deployment drops and Reserves

The Gozfather

Some questions regarding deployment drops and reserves.

To make the questions more relevant, my army has 13 units, 3 of which deploy inside a transport, and 3 of which enter via Jump Pack Assault (Could be 5x if I wanted).

Matched play rules state I have to deploy at least 50% of my units on the board at the start of the game. So....

1) Do you units inside a transport could as 'deployed'? i.e. my Stormraven; do the Dread, Termies and HQ count as 'on the board' for my 50%?

2) Do you 'deploy' reserves? So my Jump Pack Assault guys, my first three 'drops' could be saying each of those is in reserve, thus making my opponent place 3 units on the board before I have to? Or do these guys just not count at all so I'm 3-5x units less and more likely to get first turn?

3) Can any unit be held in reserve or only those with specific rules on the datasheet such as Termies/Jump packs etc?

Apologies if this has been covered previously but I couldn't find a thread when I was searching.

Thanks in advance.

Interesting question. I have 3 jump pack D.C. units, lemartes, Libby with jump pack and priest with jump pack. Plus three scout units.

Interesting to see what the thoughts are to your question as I generally deploy nothing as scouts are reserves, and all jump pack units strike from above in my first turn...........

Some questions regarding deployment drops and reserves.

To make the questions more relevant, my army has 13 units, 3 of which deploy inside a transport, and 3 of which enter via Jump Pack Assault (Could be 5x if I wanted).

Matched play rules state I have to deploy at least 50% of my units on the board at the start of the game. So....

1) Do you units inside a transport could as 'deployed'? i.e. my Stormraven; do the Dread, Termies and HQ count as 'on the board' for my 50%?

2) Do you 'deploy' reserves? So my Jump Pack Assault guys, my first three 'drops' could be saying each of those is in reserve, thus making my opponent place 3 units on the board before I have to? Or do these guys just not count at all so I'm 3-5x units less and more likely to get first turn?

3) Can any unit be held in reserve or only those with specific rules on the datasheet such as Termies/Jump packs etc?

Apologies if this has been covered previously but I couldn't find a thread when I was searching.

Thanks in advance.

1 Embarked units do not count towards number of 'drops' when deploying. 5 Libbys in a Land Raider is one drop.

2: Reserves count towards nr of drops and you can declare them first.

3: It must be specificed that they can go in reserve on the datasheet.

Yes.

Your units can only be deployed in two places : on the board or "elsewhere" (elsewhere being in a teleportarium, high in a sky, in the warp, etc etc). Please note that said units are still effectively deployed and count toward the number of drops, they are just no deployed "on the board".

Here's an example :

A deploys a land raider with a unit of terminators and a chaplain inside on the board (3 units on the board, 0 elsewhere)

B deploys a tactical squad on the board

A deploys assault marines high in the sky (3 units on the table, 1 elsewhere)

B deploys a vindicator on the board

A deploys a drop pod with a tactical squad inside in orbit (3 units on the table, 3 elsewhere)

B deploys an imperial knight on the board

A has no more units to deploy, B deploys further units...

In this configuration, if A wanted to deploy a captain in terminator armour in a teleportarium, he would first need to add another unit that gets deployed on the board.

Yes.

Your units can only be deployed in two places : on the board or "elsewhere" (elsewhere being in a teleportarium, high in a sky, in the warp, etc etc). Please note that said units are still effectively deployed and count toward the number of drops, they are just no deployed "on the board".

Here's an example :

A deploys a land raider with a unit of terminators and a chaplain inside on the board (3 units on the board, 0 elsewhere)

B deploys a tactical squad on the board

A deploys assault marines high in the sky (3 units on the table, 1 elsewhere)

B deploys a vindicator on the board

A deploys a drop pod with a tactical squad inside in orbit (3 units on the table, 3 elsewhere)

B deploys an imperial knight on the board

A has no more units to deploy, B deploys further units...

In this configuration, if A wanted to deploy a captain in terminator armour in a teleportarium, he would first need to add another unit that gets deployed on the board.

Great stuff, really good example, thanks very much! :biggrin.:

From a tactical point of view then, it's beneficial to deploy your 'elsewhere' units first so you don't have to start putting models on the table until your opponent already has some down?

From a tactical point of view then, it's beneficial to deploy your 'elsewhere' units first so you don't have to start putting models on the table until your opponent already has some down?

Generally speaking, yes. In some of the older edition scenarios, you had to deploy 24" away from the enemy, even if the deployment zones were closer together than this. This meant it was possible to "push back" your enemy's effective deployment zone by going first and deploying forwards. I haven't played all of the 8th ed scenarios yet so I don't know if this situation can still arise.

Great stuff, really good example, thanks very much! :biggrin.:

That's what I've been doing. However, for Marines lists the pitfall remains because you will usually have less "puts" than most other armies anyway so they'll still wait to place that heavy weapon dead in line of your stormraven.