Assault squads in 8th

JJD

So I have painted most of my assault squad but I still need to build my Sargent. The question is how do I kit him out.

The squad so far is two marines with flamers and two with bolt pistol and chain sword. All with jump packs.

I'm usually not that bothered about efficiency in arming my marines and tend to go with the rule of cool but I am hoping to play a bit more in the future so I wanted to give it some thought.

Are combat shields worth it now that they are a 5 up.

honestly a 5+ invul isnt that bad anymore and i think its a decent deal if you need to use 5 points

Are combat shields worth it now that they are a 5 up.

honestly a 5+ invul isnt that bad anymore and i think its a decent deal if you need to use 5 points

Knight Master Eladric, I think it's a bummer now for all units with flamers. Deep Strike is not the only option to deploy assault troops and it's still quite risky to deploy them within 9 inches, not easy to make that charge roll.

I've personally built a squad with flamer, but I think I will make that marine swappable hands.

I haven't tried them in 8th but I always found assault marines awful in 6th and 7th. Too much shooting at ap3 or less for them to make it up the board. The only use I did have for em (when making the free transport formation) was to deepstrike a few flamers on something in cover. Then they usually died. Can't do that anymore.

I haven't tried them in 8th but I always found assault marines awful in 6th and 7th. Too much shooting at ap3 or less for them to make it up the board. The only use I did have for em (when making the free transport formation) was to deepstrike a few flamers on something in cover. Then they usually died. Can't do that anymore.

Now you can jump from cover to cover in order to use the flamers.

Also, in previous editions, everybody had a bazillion attacks. Now that everyone got toned down, the extra attacks from the chainsword and pistol shots in melee make them better in CC than the normal Joes, unlike before.

I have found assault squads lacklustre, mostly because as mentioned, the double flamer thing sucks unless you survive your 1st turn.  Which is hard to do in the face of all the -1AP shooting that a lot of armies have these days.  They still die like normal marines and chance of making 9" charge i think is about 27%, goes up to 48% or something if you use a CP, so half the time you will drop down, bolter something, then die likely.  I love vanguard vets, with 1 or 2 plasma pistol each, thats nice, but thats a points investment, and they still die fast.

I find assault marines useful as any deep-striking mobile unit....for grabbing objectives or harassing, diverting your opponents attention turn 2-3.  A lot of people forget that there are still units to come in turn 3 (as long as YOU don't forget!)....a turn 3 deepstrike into the backfield of your opponent can be extremely disruptive, and can catch characters off guard, can grab you a backfield objective they thought was safe, and can secure you linebreaker, which is sometimes the margin of victory. I like to use an eversor for that as well.

Theyre good harassment units, but sadly not good killy units.  

Plasma pistols are still well priced, so 3 of those (sarge, too) and then a hammer is a good, good bet.  The eviscerator, with one attack hitting on 4s is a little bit of a waste, Id feel. 

5 jumpers with this load out is only 117, which isn't terrible.  If you're looking for a little more resiliency, an 8 man or 10 man squad is not too much more - but, there's little that these guys do.

That being said, if you're rocking Azzy and can keep him with them somehow, they become much better than most others. More survivable, and a little more killy with the rerolls. 

Pity we dont have access to jumpy SM lieutenants yet ><;