General Necromunda Inspiration Thread not just Films People!

Space Truckin

Don't know if mentioned but after seeing the Ghost in the shell post ,it reminded me of another Anime i love and am inspired by - Appleseed - (Ex Machina and Alpha) 

i loved the clean tech look it had to it :cool.: 

another easy colour scheme would be to make a Gantz-O gang :biggrin.: ...anyone for ALL Black? 

Mithril  

I'm not sure if this have been mentioned yet, but the new run of Shadowrun games by Harbrained Schemes are super inspiring for me2129019-169_shadowrun_review_pc_073113_0

http://www.anarchogeekreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Shadowrun-Dragonfall-pc-cover-large.png

http://www.develop-online.net/cimages/bb47f780a7e53aeb2dac96d534e0b4d5.png

and of course the new live action ghost in the shell had some amazing design features

anigif_sub-buzz-31055-1490913727-2.gif

http://cdn-static.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeek/files/styles/article_width/public/2016/11/monk-hive.jpg?itok=iaiQDNzR

and the market scene from valerian and the city of a thousand planets 

wallhaven-549278.jpg

Ooh the "street sam " chick and orc heavy look hella cool :cool.:  

yeah i always secretly Hoped/wanted 40k to take on a bit of the Shadowrun Aesthetic :wub:

The new Ghost in the shell gave me a bit of an Infinity feel... which also would't be bad in Necromunda :biggrin.: 

Mithril  

Oh lord... some of those pictures gave me the worst idea ever...

Jugglos in a 40k hive gang... I feel like a bad person now.

The only response to this: whoop whoop!

On topic, Penelope Spheeris's The Decline of Western Civilization series can provide some cool inspiration (though there are no gangs). The first is about the punk scene in LA around 1980, the second the hair metal scene in LA in the late '80s, and the third the gutter punks in LA in the late '90s. Aesthetically it could provide some solid inspiration.

• 1 year later...
For me, I have to say Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Virtual Light(all by William Gibson), Crygender, Rock and Rule, Blade Runner, Max Headroom, Mute (netflix original), most of 2000 AD (Judge Dredd, Johnny Alpha, Durham Red, the ABC Warriors, and Rogue Trooper) all fit the bill for the underhive.

• 2 weeks later...

As for videogames (and forgive me if somebody has mentioned it before) I think the Borderlands universe has a few parts that I think could fit into the Necromunda theme (then again, I only played part of the first game, and I am no expert on Necromunda lore :sweat:). If I recall correctly, the protagonists of the first game are basically bounty hunters, and some of them could more or less fit into some of the houses. Its world was probably inspired by Mad Max, since there are crazy raiders in ramshackle vehicles, gladiatorial pits, and plenty of crazy folks in general.

The playable characters of the first game (Delaque, Escher, Goliath and Orlock, basically :biggrin.:)

ZRu07OZ.jpg?1

As for videogames (and forgive me if somebody has mentioned it before) I think the Borderlands universe has a few parts that I think could fit into the Necromunda theme (then again, I only played part of the first game, and I am no expert on Necromunda lore :sweat:). If I recall correctly, the protagonists of the first game are basically bounty hunters, and some of them could more or less fit into some of the houses. Its world was probably inspired by Mad Max, since there are crazy raiders in ramshackle vehicles, gladiatorial pits, and plenty of crazy folks in general.

The playable characters of the first game (Delaque, Escher, Goliath and Orlock, basically :biggrin.:)

ZRu07OZ.jpg?1

Way ahead of you:

gZrtryf.jpg

That's Krieg, the Psycho from Borderlands 2

Giant Claptrap counts as Ambot? :wub:

Hmm..... That's an idea.

Borderlands is great inspiration. You are picking through bandit camps and you never know when you'll find legendary item archaeotech, and I could easily imagine a fellow like Marcus living in the local trading post:

Necromunda has often had this kinda wild west vibe to it, which Borderlands clearly shares.

I'm surprised by this but I don't think anyone has compared the Spyrers to the Predator films. Eerie figures dressed in advanced alien tech hunting people for sport?

Edited by Flame Boy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Such a great thread!

When I was painting up the most recent Orlocks I noticed that in addition to their clear 'hipster biker' contemporary references, their shoulderpads seemed pretty spot-on for a 90s WWE Legion of Doom callback (though obviously Goliath even moreso)...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/prowrestling/images/e/e9/Legion_of_Doom_Full.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120420104854

In recent forays into the Delaque kit I likewise started to appreciate how it's just as easy to see a 'Matrix'/Cyberpunk vibe there as a Steampunk or even 'alternative WW1' thing. So I painted them in Brown leathers:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/01/64/bc0164134f11472ef7ff6905aa3d3ed3.jpg

This has prompted a thought around Jes Goodwin's recent discussion on Voxcast when he talked about how 'different periods of our history are all jammed together' in thing like Imperial Knights, who treat heraldry both in a Medieval way, and in a 17th C. way in order to invoke a sense of 'deep time' in the designs. For Necromunda I feel like it's less a mash-up of 'all European history through an 80's British cultural lens' and more '20th C. hoodlums, real and imagined'.

With Necromunda it's interesting to think through how 'violent gang' is represented in different places and times; it's more specific than '40k write large'... which brings me to my next, more contentious issue:

I'm looking at the new Orlock models and I'm seeing a Black Panther inspired gang called The Black Emperors* in my head.
Although I don't think I'd have the guts to run it for fear if being accused of cultural appropriation or something.

*leader would be called "Godspeed" lol.

Dont see why people would have a problem, theres already complaints due to lack of 'representation' in the hobby. 

'The Black Emperors' as a 'painted to be all  racially Black' gang would be a super cool idea for a Black person's collection, and a super un-cool idea for anyone else IMO... Black culture and bodies should not be used 'as a costume' by others even if the portrayal is flattering. That's the difference between 'Representation' and 'Appropriation' as far as I understand it. It could be provocative and ultimately interesting from a non-Black person only if the minis themselves were of diverse race, but wearing costumes we all associate with Blackness. In that case it could be a 'super-meta' reference about the question of Blackface, but my guess is that you're not interested in having a discussion about Representation In The Hobby every time you play in public.

I include black and brown skin tones amongst my Necromunda minis because it's interesting to me that humans on (my version of) Necromunda are highly (violently) discriminatory based on costume, not based on anything so shallow as 'Race'.

Anyway, I know we're skirting some Forum Rules on this ground, so I'll leave it at that - feel free to DM if you want to discuss 1-1.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit left of field, but I remember thinking about The Outsiders by S.E Hinton when I designed my first Orlock gang back in the mid nineties. Darry leading the gang, Dallas the hardened ganger, Ponyboy the useless Juve...

-Ran

A bit left of field, but I remember thinking about The Outsiders by S.E Hinton when I designed my first Orlock gang back in the mid nineties. Darry leading the gang, Dallas the hardened ganger, Ponyboy the useless Juve...

-Ran

Who did you use to represent Cherri Valance? I loved that book too. IIRC there was a movie too.

Someone mentioned Johnny Mnemonic earlier, but all of William Gibson's work has stuff to offer, especially the sprawl trilogy.

This so much.

E.g. one of the scenes has someone living in a junkyard, building robots from scrap.

(That would make a great encounter for a narrative campaign: a place with light and junk falling from the levels above - and someone living below repurposing stuff into all kinds of machines. "Hey, is that a rat gnawing on your servitor?" Could make for a source of archeotech or a hard combat.)

Also the bridge triology - while it does have some very hightech places, most of the action happens on the namesake bridge, which is best described as what you get when you take all kinds of favela/slum type huts and shacks and glue them to a bridge in random places.

While the difference engine plays in an alternative victorian britain, it contains some nice descriptions of low tech computers and machines - which could serve as examples of how cogitators and similar tech in M42 work. The steampunk genre in general is a great source for high tech with an ancient feel to it.

I've been playing a bit of Rage (2010) by iD/Bethseda lately, it has a certain Necromunda feel to the settlements and enemies. Definitely a good starting point if you're looking to do DIY terrain.

The trailer showing gameplay from Rage 2 is much the same, including some very Escher-like bandits.

-Ran

I have 3 copies of Rage, think its time I played it again. 

Not sure if its been mentioned but the Mad Max game has some nice elements, more 'ash wastes' than Underhive but some of the bad guys designs are quite nice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if its been mentioned but the Mad Max game has some nice elements, more 'ash wastes' than Underhive but some of the bad guys designs are quite nice. 

Scabrous Scrotus would make an excellent (Goliath-themed) Hired Gun - the ubiquitous AoS Slaughter Priest model would be an great base for conversion.

Chumbucket would make a cool ammo-jack.... just don't trust him. :wink.:

-Ran

Scabrous Scrotus would make an excellent (Goliath-themed) Hired Gun - the ubiquitous AoS Slaughter Priest model would be an great base for conversion.

Chumbucket would make a cool ammo-jack.... just don't trust him. :wink.:

-Ran

If you're going down that route Max himself would be quite a good dramatis personae just turn's up, does some stuff then vanishes back into the ash wastes...

The scenery in that game has some quite cool stuff I've been thinking of creating one of the water traps to represent the old water still objective from the old game.

If you're going down that route Max himself would be quite a good dramatis personae just turn's up, does some stuff then vanishes back into the ash wastes...

The scenery in that game has some quite cool stuff I've been thinking of creating one of the water traps to represent the old water still objective from the old game.

Absolutely MaliGn, the Orlock minis are half-way to Max as it is. Just add the sawn-off shotgun, a one-sleeved leather jacket and some heroic brooding and you've got yourself the road warrior.

Love to see the results of some DIY Underhive terrain, be sure to post it up if you get it done. :)

-Ran

Absolutely MaliGn, the Orlock minis are half-way to Max as it is. Just add the sawn-off shotgun, a one-sleeved leather jacket and some heroic brooding and you've got yourself the road warrior.

Love to see the results of some DIY Underhive terrain, be sure to post it up if you get it done. :)

-Ran

There's a link in my signature to my necromunda thread there's some soy zone mortalis walls in there that I've been working on...

It's probably been mentioned but Fallout (especially New Vegas) has a wealth of of factions/scenarios that could provide inspiration. 

On a more obscure note, I feel like Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman has a great eclectic background cast full of entourages that could be great for the more ambitious. 

On a more obscure note, I feel like Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman...

I keep hearing this mentioned a lot at the moment, how does it inspire 'mundian goodness?

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka
Added your re-phrased question.