General Necromunda Inspiration Thread not just Films People!

Space Truckin

Anybody else thought of a Slaaneshii cult whilst watching the Greatest Showman? I think a group of freaks, mutants and degenerates led by a fancy ringmaster based on the new Dark Apostle would be an interesting project. Annoyingly all I have ideas for are Slaaneshii themed cults atm... Guess I could go undivided, fat guy and bearded lady could be Nurgle, the midget could be Khorne, Hugh Jackman the majestic Slaaneshii Leader and Zack Effron can go live in the sump where he belongs... 

Ive had 'This is Me' stuck in my head for a few days now, recently I had a metal cover of 'The Greatest Show' playing for about 5 days straight, its bloody infectious, just like the corruption of the Chaos gods. :lol:

There was one episode of Dr Who (Tennant) when they ended up on some planet that looked like the underhive, all dirty with battered fast food kiosks etc covered in graffiti, posters and general crap. Ill try find the episode and get pictures, just the look of it reminded me of Necromunda, might give people some ideas for scenery. 

Good idea - I'll have to find that metal cover as well now. Some of the episodes of Netflix's Love, Death and Robots had a Necromunda vibe - the monster fight in the first episode and some of the other futuristic ones. 

Some of the episodes of Netflix's Love, Death and Robots had a Necromunda vibe - the monster fight in the first episode and some of the other futuristic ones. 

I've only watched the first episode (monster fight) but the setting feels very familiar - A decadent Guilder flop and his pretty pet, protected by Enforcers, running pit fights with mind-slaved beasties. 

Netflix should just greenlight a Necromunda series. :wink:

-Ran

• 4 weeks later...

Firefly and Serenity should be mentioned again, as it features great visuals fitting for all levels of Hive Primus.

I wonder why The Fifth Element did not show up yet, as it has some excellent Necromunda material in it.

I also quite like some parts of Total Recall (the remake) for terrain inspiration.

Firefly and Serenity should be mentioned again, as it features great visuals fitting for all levels of Hive Primus.

I wonder why The Fifth Element did not show up yet, as it has some excellent Necromunda material in it.

I also quite like some parts of Total Recall (the remake) for terrain inspiration.

Total Recall was good for terrain actually, that was exactly what I thought of when I first saw it. Fifth Element was kinda obvious now that you mention it, might pick up a copy on friday and give it another watch. 

The comic books and the Karl Urban movie (lets just gloss over the Sky Stallone one).

Heresy! The campy Stallone Dredd shall be remembered for ever! He is the Laaawwww. :laugh.:

For me at least, the original Dredd was closer to Necromunda - the cannibalistic Angel gang out in the ash-wastes with Mean Machine, the clear example of archeotech in the ABC Warrior, it's all 'munda gold.

-Ran

Stallone DreD was a thing of beauty!! Hand me my flamer!!!!

It was cheesy as a Nurglings toe jam though, I can see why people hated it. Im just a sucker for bad films I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Started rewatching "Firefly" this week, and got reminded how necromunda-y some of it is! Some of the scenes in the Eavesdown Docks (first episode) are like straight out of the Underhive, just with a bit more sunlight. The "gang bosses" like Badger, Patience or Niscaa could be transferred to Necromunda without much work as well.

Oh, and it still is a brilliant show on its own! :thumbsup:

Just found out theres gonna be a Dread tv series. That may be worth watching when its done. I wanna see more on the citizens and the weirdness that never really showed in the Dread movie, that could have been any apartment block overun by chavs in a modern setting.

Started rewatching "Firefly" this week, and got reminded how necromunda-y some of it is! Some of the scenes in the Eavesdown Docks (first episode) are like straight out of the Underhive, just with a bit more sunlight. The "gang bosses" like Badger, Patience or Niscaa could be transferred to Necromunda without much work as well.

I'm sorry, but while I can see how Firefly/Serenity visuals can give one ideas for how parts of the 40K universe may look, I can't see it applying to the Underhive; the place does impoverished space future well, but it's a western at heart, and thus much of that poor ramshackle settlement stuff are one or two story buildings in vast open plains, and the ultra-urbanized locations are pristine and well kept, which at best this is a good image for Upperhive/Spire life, but I doubt even those locations look so pretty.

I'm sorry, but while I can see how Firefly/Serenity visuals can give one ideas for how parts of the 40K universe may look, I can't see it applying to the Underhive; the place does impoverished space future well, but it's a western at heart, and thus much of that poor ramshackle settlement stuff are one or two story buildings in vast open plains, and the ultra-urbanized locations are pristine and well kept, which at best this is a good image for Upperhive/Spire life, but I doubt even those locations look so pretty.

Others might see it differently, but to me the Underhive often comes with a feeling of sci-fi-western.

Not every inspiration has to be "take this and use it one-to-one". Take the ramshackle settlements, remove the open land around them and the sk above, and transfer them to an underground setting - job's a good un'. Many of the interiors could be used as is (think of "Bushwhacked", or the underground complex in the movie). A variety of other things can just simply be inspiration without a direct counterpart, like the Eavesdown Docks from the pilot or Beaumonde in the movie.

Edited by Darnok

The problem with Firefly as inspiration for me is watching it. I do recall some of the locations could be useful for the hobby fuel, but man, I am not a Whedon fan by any stretch of the imagination. 

are you saying this due to his more recent work "poisoning the well" so to speak, or have you always disliked his writing? because as a Whedon fan I'll admit he seems to be more misses then hits in recent years(Cabin in the Woods was pretty good though).

though if you just don't like his sense of snarky humor then yeah even his good stuff will be a chore to watch.

Others might see it differently, but to me the Underhive often comes with a feeling of sci-fi-western.

Not every inspiration has to be "take this and use it one-to-one". Take the ramshackle settlements, remove the open land around them and the sk above, and transfer them to an underground setting - job's a good un'. Many of the interiors could be used as is (think of "Bushwhacked", or the underground complex in the movie). A variety of other things can just simply be inspiration without a direct counterpart, like the Eavesdown Docks from the pilot or Beaumonde in the movie.

thematically sure, it's got some Western tones with its outlaw gangs, especially for the more brutish gangers over the more sneaky/intelligent types who'd probably fit more of a Mafia flick sorta thing, but visually Necromunda is Cyberpunk.

I understand the idea in principle, but when someone says "Firefly" my mind goes straight to bright yellow-brown desserts and wooden structures, with the rusted sci-fi technology being window dressing at best and plot McGuffins at worst, stripping the open sky from that imagery is impossible because it makes up 80+% of the image(plus it's in the theme song), it's like recommending a porkchop dinner as a good way to visualize a salad because it has some parsley on the side of the plate, and porkchops are similar to the bacon bits that are in some salads due to both coming from pigs.

Jayne is a wonderful image of an Underhive ganger though...

thematically sure, it's got some Western tones with its outlaw gangs, especially for the more brutish gangers over the more sneaky/intelligent types who'd probably fit more of a Mafia flick sorta thing, but visually Necromunda is Cyberpunk.

I understand the idea in principle, but when someone says "Firefly" my mind goes straight to bright yellow-brown desserts and wooden structures, with the rusted sci-fi technology being window dressing at best and plot McGuffins at worst, stripping the open sky from that imagery is impossible because it makes up 80+% of the image(plus it's in the theme song), it's like recommending a porkchop dinner as a good way to visualize a salad because it has some parsley on the side of the plate, and porkchops are similar to the bacon bits that are in some salads due to both coming from pigs.

Jayne is a wonderful image of an Underhive ganger though...

Nah, honestly I'd say Necromunda is more dieselpunk than cyberpunk. While it has some cyberpunk elements (hello Van Saar), a lot of the aesthetic of the game/setting is large, industrial buildings/machinery and environments within those.

Which is dieselpunk.

It's probably safe to say that it's an amalgamation of the two considering the Pit Slaves and Spyrers? They both tackle human augmentation from two different directions if I remember correctly.

Frankly I'm surprised we have heard so little about these aspects of the game since the new version of Necromunda was released.

I'm interested about this upcoming Dread TV series. I'd not heard anything about it. Is it one of the Netflix original series or something?

The problem with Firefly as inspiration for me is watching it. I do recall some of the locations could be useful for the hobby fuel, but man, I am not a Whedon fan by any stretch of the imagination. 

are you saying this due to his more recent work "poisoning the well" so to speak, or have you always disliked his writing? because as a Whedon fan I'll admit he seems to be more misses then hits in recent years(Cabin in the Woods was pretty good though).

though if you just don't like his sense of snarky humor then yeah even his good stuff will be a chore to watch.

I've never been a fan, despite having friends who have urged me to try watching various shows of his they liked. I saw Serenity before I saw any episodes of Firefly and it was OK, but when I tried to watch the Firely episodes, it was much too high a dose of Whedon for me to finish.

To keep this reply somewhat on topic, I do think the reavers and the corridors in the bowels of Mr. Universe's planet at the end of the film could also be some inspiration for Necromunda.