Batrep Grey Knights v Chaos demonds (70 PL) Rant warning

Godeskian

So after my first game against the demons I found out during lunch that I had a target on my back. My 9 game win streak is officially the longest in my FLGS and a number of people were looking forward to trying to be the one to take me down.  I mention this because I think it fed strongly into what happened.

My opponent from earlier wanted another game, and another grey knight player who hadn't had a chance to play yet asked if I'd be interested in teaming up in a 2 v 1, 35 PL each for us, 70 for our opponent.

I am well known for not liking PL, so I should have said no, but I had a stupid moment and agreed.

Our opponent brought a lord of skulls, half a dozen squads of cultists and some apostles. I wasn't familiar the apostles and when asked I was told that they were slightly worse Chaos Lords, and when I specifically asked if they did anything else got a shrug in return. Remember this.

I ended up fielding a three man palading squad, a doomglaive and Dakkadread, and a Brother captain, my ally brought a librarian and a Knight Crusader to balance out the Lord of Skulls

----

Turn 1, Deep struck and smited the heck out of the Lord of skulls, failed to wound him seriously on shooting, and failed every charge with the Glaive and the 2++ librarian and the Paladins. We took over half his wounds, and I figured we were about to get nailed given that at 29PL the LoS was almost half his points, I figured there was a reason.

Turns out it was a giant distraction

In his turn he moved the LoS to set up for a charge and then dropped his ace.

He summoned 44 PL worth of flesh hounds, bloodletters, demon princes and some kind of demon engine I never got a name for......

Into a 70 PL game.....

I asked him if he could do that every turn with those apostels who weren't special, just slightly worse chaos lords. He confirmed he could. I asked him if he had much more with him, and it turns out he had an entire extra gaming case, one of the GW big ones filled with nothing but summonables.

I conceded the game before his shooting phase started, shook his hand and told him that if he ever wanted to play a points game I'd happily give him a rematch, but not in PL where he could summon freely.

my w/l stands at 9-2 with GK

This was probably the single worst game of 40K I'ver ever played. There was no attempt at fun, there was no attempt at theme, and I feel like I was deliberately misled about what the Apostles were all about. It's possible he assumed I knew how summoning in 8th worked, and ultimately given how thoroughly they were bubblewrapped, even if I had I don't think ti would have made a blind bit of difference, but this felt like someone shoving a puppy off a bridge just to prove he could.

He brought over 200PL of demons in his case for the sole purposes of summoning in a PL game. and it highlights how utterly :cussing broken power levels are to the point where I will never again wilingly play a game that isn't a pointed game. My opponent officially broke my streak, but he did it in a deliberately abusive WAAC way, when I have very intentionally never tried to play like that.

I don't list tailor (i generally make up several lists before i go at various point values and play whatever values we do) and I try not to build the very cheesiest thing I possibly can. For :cusss sake i bring dakkadreads most games just because I like them. This was, by any way you care to describe it a dick move an wasn't just a terrible game, it left me with a really sour taste that such an incredibly blatant loophole exists.

I wouldn't mind if you had to buy summonings by PL the same way you do in points, but the ability to just freely summon whatever the hell you want with no chance to deny or stop it in any way is the first thing I've seen which genuinely felt broken. I tallied up the points of what he summoned and he brough an additional 800+ points into a 1400 point game in a single turn.....

There is literally no TAC list I own which could deal with that, and while it's conceivable that I could construct a list for the sole purpose of beating it, that would defeat the very point of having take all comer lists in the first place.

I am pissed off at how this went down and it went a long way toward ruining my enjoyment of the day. However, such is the game, and ultimately it is just a game.

How in the world could he summon in that many demons?  I thought that it didn't matter if you were doing points or power level, either way "points" have to be set aside for summoning as far as I know.  There's not any free demon units any more, like in the Khorne Daemonkin book where blood points brought in a free demon unit that's not in the points of your list.  I have to look at my book again but I'm pretty sure that guy:censored: you hard!  All summoned units have to be totaled in with your army, so your using up points for demons brought into the game that way.  I might be wrong but I don't think that there's any free demons any more.  Sounds like your win loss record should be 9 wins and 1 screw job (not a loss).

in matched play, the points for your summons have to be part of your list but I don't think the same is true of narrative play(which is what a PL game is according to the rulebook). just like null deploy is allowed in narrative, but not in matched.

I think anyone on this forum will agree that it was a cheap move, you werent playing a scenario or narrative game where being outnumbered by unbeatable odds was a set piece where victory was achievable, you were infact playing a matched play game in all ways except you used PL instead.

Shame that this player decided to resort to such tactics just to say they'd beat you and ended your streak, but its just some people's mentality. Sticking to matched play rules definately seems like the better option.

Ouch. Total Dbag move.

And I'm right there with the dislike of Power Levels.

It could have been a matched play game with PL though.

What scenario did you play?

Edit. If it was a matched play scenario even with power levels, PL should have been set aside for reinforcements.

And your opponent simply cheated in order to get the win.

Edited by Gentlemanloser

Ouch. Total Dbag move.

And I'm right there with the dislike of Power Levels.

It could have been a matched play game with PL though.

What scenario did you play?

Edit. If it was a matched play scenario even with power levels, PL should have been set aside for reinforcements.

And your opponent simply cheated in order to get the win.

This is what I was wondering too. 

Whatever. It's just a game, but this is why I only play with friends. :\

That blows! Although I wouldn't completely dismiss PL.

I actually enjoy it for casual games. Part of the flexibility in 8th has also lead to more confusion in what to expect in games.

These days when I play someone I don't regularly play I ask how they want to play. Generally its a hybrid of matched and narrative. Eg we play PL but have matched play restrictions on reserves. Sounds like I might be added summoning in those clarifications.