GK vs Chaos Batrep, 1000 points

Corvus Fortis

Hey, so here goes my first matched play game, where we used points, not PLs. So I decided to share my impressions.

My list:

Battalion 

HQ

GMNDK: Psycannon, Psilencer, Sword, no teleporter, Warlord, FttF, Sanctuary

Voldus: Vortex, Purge Soul, Astral Aim

Troops:

Terminators: Hammer on Justicar, Swords, Psycannon, Hammerhand

2xStrikes: Hammer on Justicars, Halberd, Incinerator, 2 swords, Gate of Infinity

My opponent was Chaos+Demons, I guess. Don't rememder his detachment, but he's got 4 CP. His force was like:

Lord with jumpack

Warpsmith

2x Slaaneshi Heralds on Chariots

Bloodthister (don't remember which exactly)

CSM squad with lascannon and plasma gun

Predator with Autocannon turret and two lascannons

We played half-table, Hammer and Anvil. Missions was the scouring and contact lost. He put his csm squad in ruin in front and depoyed bloodthister and heralds in front of it. Predator with Warpsmith near it to secure an objective point. Lord went to the reserves.

I deployed both strikes into a ruin behind LoS block in center of the field and the GMNDK nearby. Voldus and Termies went in reserves. I had one less deployememnt choice and he failed to intercept, so I was going first.

Turn 1

GK

I got "assassinate". I deepstriked Voldus with Termies in front of heralds and used GoI on GMNDK with one of my strikes. Second strike advanced to enemy positions, hiding behind the building in center.

I cast Vortex with Volus with +1 roll to cast stratagem. And *bam!!!* 3(!) sixes. I peril for 2 wounds and he gets d6 mortal wounds in 4 units. I roll bad for damage, though, so only Bloodthister gets 5 wounds. Every herald gets 2-3 wounds and 2 guys from csm squad are dead. I manifested Purge Soul but roll 1 for test and he rolls 4 for his predator. He tries to deny sanctuary and hammerhand but fails both times because of Brotherhood of Psykers. That +1 to cast really saved me. Smites and shooting destroy one chariot and leaves second one with 2 wounds. I shoot Predator with Psychic Onlaught and strip off half of his wounds. With help of FttF Termies and GMNDK charge successfully, only Voldus left behind. Predator overwatches GMNDK, rolls 6 for lascannon, wounds him and I fail 3++, reroll it for stratagem only to get 1. He rolls 6 for damage. Pain.

Termies charge herald, it strikes first but fails to do any damage. They easily kill it, but bloodthirster intervents. Since Chariot was large, it is more thatn 1'' between termies and thirster after it gone, so I declare that I'm free from CC. Probably got it wrong, but my opponent even benefited from it, I guess, since he could shoot me with las and plasma his turn.  GMNDK destroys Predator.

Did "Assassinate" for 1 VP.

CSM

Got kingslayer. Lord deepstikes close to GM, thirster flyes to charge voldus. GM withstands melta shot from Warpsmith, but my opponent use some stratagem for Lord to shoot with mortal wounds. He succeed twice and rolls 5 and 6 for d3 damage - exactly to finish GM. He uses "Only in death..." to weaken Bloodthirster even more. CSM squad shoots Termies with little success.

Bloodthirster suddenly decides to go back to termies and charge them. I loose two guys, but 3 remaining strike back and kill the demon. 

He does kingslayer for 3 VP.

Turn 2

GK

Got secure objective 5, that is on top of LoS block building. Termies go closer to the Lord and Voldus to the Warpsmith. First strike squad moves on and second one is still on objective. In Psy-phase I smite one more CSM in ruin with Termies and one wound from Warpsmith with Voldus. I gate with second squad to secure objective. Voldus casts Vortex. gets snake eyes, perils for 3, then casts Purge Soul and... snake eyes again. Bye-bye, Voluds.

I can shoot with all my squads. but strikes are not in rapid range. Shooting kills lascannon csm and strips a wound off Warpsmith. I try to charge lord, roll 6 for 7 inches and can stand in 1 inch from lord, but my opponent mesures distance again and finds its a bit more than 7. So I'm left where I was.

Did objective 5.

CSM

He gets Overwhelming Firepower and some objective on far edge of the table. Lord. Smith and Plasma shoots terminators and kill them before lord charges. So he does OF.

Turn 3

GK

I got objective 5 again and can try to camp on top of the building but I decide to try for wipe. So I move with strikes in charge range and second squad gates near lord. I shoot and charge him, so he left with 2 wounds. Lord, in exchange, kill 3 strikes. Other squad shoot Smith with rapid, strips off another wound but fails charge.

CSM

Don't remember objectives. Lord flies away to shoot full strikes squad. Smith moves to charge it. After shooting and charging only 2 strikes left. 

Turn 4

I generate nothing since no point controlled and move free squad to help tied one. I smite Lord away and charge Smith, strike him with two hammers. Three are in, he mades 2 successful invuln throws and fails the last.

So it is wipe out and victory for Titan!

All in all, was pretty close.

Overall impressions:

GMNDK is great as always. If it wasnt for very unlucky rolls, I'd steamrolled with it futher even if degraded state. Sanctuary is a must. Heed the Prognosticars won't be bad too while he out of close combat. 

Voldus is Voldus. Nothing to add.

Strikes are really nice. Cheap and shooty. Really need falchions to be killy in HtH, but swords are nice if you want to tie up something shooty in power\TDA armor and eventually kill it. I'd have a sword squad as surgical tool. Incinerator is best special weapon, probably, but its effectiveness is cut by its range. If I played with transport I'd prefered it over psilencer.

And... Termies. They are not garbage. They are still powerfull in HtH and stand against small arms. But for their cost I could take a strike squad and a Rhino. They are very-very situative, but in my situation they filled third troop slot and distracted enemy fire. They can serve as good distractions. Shouldnt have any specials or hammers to make them as cheap as possible. Give tham falchions and a staff. If enemy shoots them, he doesn't shoot strikes or pallies. they 2+\5++ is rather tanky. Worse than strikes, worse than paladins, but if you are termie fan why not to take them? Again, they are not 7th Pyrovores level. Just not as effective as other units. Depends on MU too, of course. Anyway. that's how I feel.

I agree entirely about the Termies. Not garbage, just not great. Strikes are pretty darn good (better than Termies) and Paladins are awesomesauce, but Termies are still good. You're not shooting yourself in the foot by taking them, so unless you're playing in an all tournament style, super competitive, only-use-viable-units meta then I'd say take Termies if you want to : )