Best loadout for infantry squads

DrMonkeyface

Death Korps can't take heavy weapons, so my squads get a grenade launcher, and a hotshot lasgun on the Sgt.  A couple of them got power swords since that's what they came with.

I have been on the fence with the hotshot, the watchmaster did get back his better ballistic skill, but a hot shot and bolter cost the same points but a bolter wounds better. Its also easier to just put grenadiers as squad leads. Since DKOK have better weapon skill any thought of putting a bunch of hidden powerfists in your line squads? 

Nah, 2 swings at 4+ is one hit.  Not worth a 20% increase of the squad's cost.  A 4-point maul would probably work almost as well.  I feel you on the bolter vs. hotshot, but there aren't that many guard-sized bolters and it seems tedious to try and convert something like that (and it would probably look silly).  I ordered a bunch of those holstered hotshots from the scion kits, and will probably just glue them to their backpacks and call it day.  You could even call them bolters if you wanted.

... there aren't that many guard-sized bolters and it seems tedious to try and convert something like that (and it would probably look silly).  I ordered a bunch of those holstered hotshots from the scion kits, and will probably just glue them to their backpacks and call it day.  You could even call them bolters if you wanted.

Marine bolters work just fine. A bolter hand that can be found in Catachan command squad box holds a bolter of the same size as standard marine bolters. 

Our definition of "working fine" differ.  I've seen many conversions of Guard holding Marine-sized weapons, and they are frankly ridiculous.  I would have to hunt for third-party bits if I were to go that route.  Since my Krieg sgts are built with standard loadout, the holstered long-gun works just fine. 

Considering that a guardsman model has almost the same dimensions as a space marine model, i think you are overreacting here.http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OVchUw34CBs/T4MA8OyZDcI/AAAAAAAAA3s/Mv95q7O0ySU/s1600/792_md-Comparison+Imperial+Guard+Space+Marines+Toy+Soldier+Warhammer+40000.jpg

DKoK and Elysian models are smaller in scale than regular Cadians and Catachans. So I can see how that would look odd, however for regular Guardsmen its less of concern.

Even my Mordians are nearly the same height as SMs!

yeah i have to agree, DKoK and elysians are more Svelte than the burly cadians and mordians (now you finally know who the real guys are eh :wink: ...:laugh.:)

it will still fit but won't look "as good" as it will on the beefy dudes :cool.:

the Holstered hotshot is a very good idea and would actually suit a DKoK more so,especially done up in a nice leather look!

in the end it simply comes down to personal preference since it is "you" looking at your models on the table all the time :smile.:

cheers, Mithril

Those are mutations from being so closer to the Eye.  Your heresy has been noted, and heresy begets retribution. 

Um...  for the record my Cadians did extensive "Cross" Training with Catachan troops on their homeworld... hence the extra Muscle....

as for the rest of it ...:whistling:  i see nothing...

Mithril

Our definition of "working fine" differ. I've seen many conversions of Guard holding Marine-sized weapons, and they are frankly ridiculous. I would have to hunt for third-party bits if I were to go that route. Since my Krieg sgts are built with standard loadout, the holstered long-gun works just fine.

I generally just play all metal Infantry guard. Sometime around 5th-6th edition I picked up a bunch of plastic Chadians and had the sizing concerns you brought up. It isn't a simple matter either since there are a bunch of bolter varrients to choose from.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rigmarole_bob/_images/IMG_1775.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~rigmarole_bob/_images/IMG_1776.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~rigmarole_bob/_images/IMG_1777.jpg

Too bad Ward messed up the game so badly at the time I lost any interest in finishing the projects.

My Mordians actually have some of the 90s Bolters which scale to the metals nicely. Helped hide the dremmelling marks with the odd side part those Bolsters have.

A Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter, and a Bolter get my vote. 54 points is a bargain for what you get. Dont count out the Krak goodness, sure it's only strength six, but being a D3 damage weapon for so cheap is great

Finally, someone else who uses grenade launchers still!  I have only played two games since the launch of 8th (mostly with proxies) but I love how cheap grenade launchers are, and their versatility has come in real handy for me.  Both games I had played were against a Chaos player, and frag for cultists and krak for Marines was very handy.  

Sure it is, it's a guaranteed D6 at full 24", without the need for an order, and the option to shoot something a bit more solid.

Exactly.  The versatility of the weapon is it's strength, and while I agree with the others that the math doesn't back it up, when I can only have one special weapon per squad, it helps to have it be able to handle any kind of target that comes it way.  Unlike missile launchers (which I think are way too overpriced), I feel grenade launchers give some versatility to line infantry squads. 

I dunno, both options are a bit rubbish. The Krak doesn't have the Strength or AP to hurt anything meaningful, the Frag also is too random and doesn't have the Strength to really hurt anything. It's versatile, but I'd rather take a weapon that's good at something rather than mediocre at two things.

I just find. For 2 points more I get a plasma gun or a flamer. I can see grenade launchers being useful, but are outdone by the other weapons for a handful of points more.

However. You could easily fit many grenade launchers in. 4 in a command squad for 44 points, 3 in a special weapon squad for 39 points. You could easily dedicate 300ish points to grenade launchers and have many str 6 D3 damage shots for a low price. That 300 points could get you 6 sws (18 grenade launchers) an officer and a commissar.....

However. You could easily fit many grenade launchers in

3 in a special weapon squad for 39 points

By any chance Halfpint100 do you have any experience with this? I'm rather curious.

Since most transports can't do drive-bys anymore can this be a weaker less-epensive solution as a response team? Looking for potentional midfield deep strike deniers. Right now l have SWS Snipers, Mortars, and in-a-pinch Ratlings handling it.

However. You could easily fit many grenade launchers in

3 in a special weapon squad for 39 points

By any chance Halfpint100 do you have any experience with this? I'm rather curious.

Since most transports can't do drive-bys anymore can this be a weaker less-epensive solution as a response team? Looking for potentional midfield deep strike deniers. Right now l have SWS Snipers, Mortars, and in-a-pinch Ratlings handling it.

I am afraid not

The only SWS i use has 3 flamers (I like flamers). It looks tempting, but my army is all about turning things to ash (either by blessed promethium or by holy plasma). Grenade launchers do not fit my armies theme

Archived