Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2000pts competative blitz (Speedy MSU)

Blood Angels Competative Tournament Blitz Jump Pack MSU

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

lullelukas

lullelukas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts

Hi! I'm back to 40k after a break since late 5th edition and thought I'd share what I intend to form into my competative Blood Angels list.

BA Vanguard Detatchment: 1168pts

Sanguinary Priest w. Jump Pack, Power Sword & Storm Bolter - 92pts

Lemartes - 129pts

3 Sanguinary Guard w. Death Mask, Plasma Pistols & Encarmine Swords - 128pts

6 Death Company w. 5 Power Swords & Thunder Hammer - 160pts

6 Death Company w. 5 Power Swords & Thunder Hammer - 160pts

5 Devastators w. 4 Heavy Flamers, Power Axe & Armourium Cherub - 145pts

5 Devastators w. 4 Heavy Flamers, Power Axe & Armourium Cherub - 145pts

Razorback w. Twin Assault Cannons, Storm Bolter - 102pts

Razorback w. Twin Assault Cannons, Storm Bolter - 102pts

SM Vanguard Detatchment: 832pts

Librarian w. Jump Pack & Force Sword - 128pts

3 Company Veterans w. Bikes, 2 Meltaguns, 2 Storm Shields, Combi-
melta & Power Axe - 176pts

3 Company Veterans w. Bikes, 2 Meltaguns, 2 Storm Shields, Combi-
melta & Power Axe - 176pts

3 Company Veterans w. Bikes, 2 Meltaguns, 2 Storm Shields, Combi-melta & Power Axe - 176pts

3 Company Veterans w. Bikes, 2 Meltaguns, 2 Storm Shields, Combi-melta & Power Axe - 176pts

- 2000pts
The main plan is to deploy the bike veterans and the devastators in razorbacks while keeping all the jump packers in reserve. Drive everything up towards the enemy lines and unload upon them with assault cannons and meltas while deep striking and charging with the rest of the army as soon as possible.

The goal is a full wipe, but with the speed of the army it's not too hard to snatch a last minute objective.

Notes on units:

A SM Librarian gives us some other powers, and while it is a bit sad to lose the invuln I do believe that Might of Heroes is powerful enough to mostly compensate for that loss. Also, a SM Librarian can target BAs while a BA Librarian cannot target SMs.

Biker veterans can Turbo-boost 20" and fire meltas with a -1 penalty, melta range should not be a problem. Or they can skip boosting to fire without panalty after moving 14".

Flamy Devastators have an average flamer range of 17" without penalties since they disembark, move and auto-hit when shooting. When possible it is a good idea to skip advancing in favour of assaulting weakened enemies. Overwatching is cool but won't be realistic against someone who knows what they're doing.

When deep striking with 5 units (3 + characters, melta veterans will likely be elsewhere) at 9", the risk of ALL of them failing their assault is only 19.6%. On average you should get at 2 units into combat, 3 units are far from unlikely.

Do tell me what you think! The company veterans with jump pack seem to under perform, but I feel they do fill a role of later game anti-big stuff if the opponent manages to kill all the bikers. Should I replace them with something else? If so, what with?

Thanks for reading, and have a good one!

Edited by lullelukas, 25 August 2017 - 12:37 AM.

Crimson Ghost IX

Crimson Ghost IX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 175 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

Heyas and welcome to the B&C =)

I like your list and your plan.

Sanguinary Guard...

Lose a death mask as you can only benfit from 1 unless something has changed I missed.

Consider Plasma Pistols over Angelus Boltguns.

I think you might get alot out of the Sanguinary Guard Ancient near those Razors if you have the model and feel like shuffling things differently...

I like to keep a Chaplain around my Death Company myself but the banner helps them too.

Perhaps consider dropping the SG and trimming for one or both?

I dunno just ideas.

I would consider dropping the Devastator Sgts to a different power weapon and giving the hammers to your veterans as they are likely to be big game hunting anyhow.

I feel combi-flamers are bit too expensive for str4 = consider a storm bolter perhaps? Combi-melta perhaps better here instead since you are over there anyhow?

Interesting move on your Libby & bikers =)

I am not sure I love your bikers, but I definately like them =)

Will be interested to hear how it goes.

Have fun and make Sanguinius proud whatever happens !!

lullelukas

lullelukas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts

Thank you for the welcoming and for the insight! 

I updated the list with some of your suggestions in mind. :)

The second Death Mask was just filling up the last 2pts in the list, it seemed to be the best choice as a sort of sniper insurance. When rearranging some stuff now it's obviously out again. ;)
Plasma Pistols seem to be pretty much an obvious upgrade, so that's happening as well.
Dropping the squad entirely doesn't sound like the most awesome of ideas though since the additional punch they provide when assaulting with several units on the same turn has saved my as on more than one occasion while testing it out. There are other cuts I am considering to make some room, however.

The Hammers on the Devastator Sgts are there to fulfill the same role as a combi-melta would, with the exception that assaulting a vehicle also feels like a really good thing as it severely limits the opponent's options in using said vehicle. I do feel it doesn't do enough in regards to hitting power however so I might downgrade them to axes (since they risk being far from the priest). Combi-meltas seem to me to be better combined with the hammers to hunt big stuff, so I'll skip out on them a bit more. Not a bad idea though, might revisit it in the future! ;) For now, I'm gonna try a more focused anti-infantry unit by switching to axes and see how it goes!

I don't really see how the Razorbacks benefit from the Ancient, but I may be missing something... The re-rolls of 1 in the fight phase and immunity to morale doesn't seem to do much for them, and having a Death Mask nearby doesn't either. It seems really good for the Death Company though - but at that point I might as well take a Chaplain for even more ridonculousness.

I don't really need to cut much for the Chaplain, trimming some equipment and cutting a jump veteran is all that needs to be done!

The Librarian will probably be the jumper to deploy on the field now, since I have gained a drop.

On the note of the bikers: They are completely outdoing their Jump Pack counterparts every game my opponent doesn't manage to obliterate them before my first turn. That 26" effective melta range is insanely good!

Thanks again for the advice!

Crimson Ghost IX

Crimson Ghost IX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 175 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

Doh, I missed something actually hehheh. Meant to say Death Company instead of Razors =) Sorry for the confusion.

I had a comment in there at some point about considering storm bolters on your Razors as they are cheap and good dakka that got left off.

Would be nice to get a jump pack LT when the codex hits tho. We can hope right =)

Anyhow,

I like your list and your plan =)

Hope to hear how it goes.

Have fun and make Sanguinius proud whatever happens !!

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,894 posts
I am leery of relying on melee for anti-vehicle work. With brutality of how Explodes! works now, were basically asking our precious models to eat it.

I like how lean the list is, but Morale could be a problem, especially for the D.C.

Edited by Indefragable, 23 August 2017 - 11:47 AM.

The Gozfather

The Gozfather

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts

Biker veterans can Turbo-boost 20" and fire meltas without penalty, melta range should not be a problem.

Flamy Devastators have an average flamer range of 21" without penalties since they disembark, advance and auto-hit when shooting. When possible it is a good idea to skip advancing in favour of assaulting weakened enemies. Overwatching is cool but won't be realistic against someone who knows what they're doing.

When deep striking with 5 units (3 + characters, melta veterans will likely be elsewhere) at 9", the risk of ALL of them failing their assault is only 19.6%. On average you should get at 2 units into combat, 3 units are far from unlikely.

Just some queries/clarifications on your above points:

Why are biker veterans not firing with a penalty? It's -1 to hit with assault weapons if you advance, so 32" threat range but you still have the -1 to hit penalty.

How do you work out the avg flamer range of 21"?

3" disembark + 6" move + 8" heavy flamer range = 17". When you say 'average' I assume that's from an 'average' advance roll of 4? But heavy flamers are just that, heavy, and so cannot fire AT ALL if you advance.

I also think you're looking at the odds of your deep striking units the wrong way round. Yes ok there's only a 19% chance that ALL of them fail. But each unit individually only has a 28% chance of making the charge. I think you've been rather political and made the statistics fit your argument! A more realistic way to approach it is to say that there's only just over a 1/4 chance that each deep striking unit will make it to combat.

Maybe consider Lemartes for that all important charge re-roll for your DC?

If there's some rule I've overlooked or misread for the above points then apologies, please correct me!

lullelukas

lullelukas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts
@Crimson Ghost

One can only hope for jump lts, that would make my day every day!

I've managed to get one game in with the chaplain so far, but I was a bit too greedy and Calgar stomped him really early.. I do believe he will turn out to be an upgrade however!

@Indefragable

Yeah, morale is tough on the DC. The other units do pretty fine since they're allready dead before failing their tests but the DC run off now and then.. I'm actually considering making 3 units of 5 instead now that the Librarian starts the game with his boots on the ground anyways. Might solve the problem. :)

@The Gozfather

Yes, the bikers fire with a -1 modifier. But hitting on 4+ with nine bikers is still very good - not as goid as hitting on 3+ obviously, but still very good.

You are absolutely right about the heavy flamers, i foolishly assumed they were still assault weapons. That means they cannot advance and will have a effective maximum range of 17". It has seldom been an issue since I tend to want to assault with the anyways, but you are entirely correct.

Regarding the deep strikers, I don't really care if any specific squad makes it into combat. When mass deep striking this way you shouldn't even attempt assaulting anything that can put up a fair fight, but wither down weaker units with shooting and charge in to clean up and close as much of the distance between you and your opponent as possible. Lemartes may very well be a good upgrade from the chaplain though, I'll look into that tonight!:)

lullelukas

lullelukas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts

I've updated the list to include Lemartes and put the three remaining jump veterans on bikes. It wasn't cheap though, costing me the two chainsword DC and a SG. 

I also realised you are entirely right about the combi-flamers Crimson Ghost. They are not at all effective enough for 11pts. So I simply cut them. I've added storm bolters on the Razorbacks however, and those might be better on the sgts? Also, with the last remaining points, I've upgraded the priest to a plasma pistol. Doesn't feel like the best choice, but it seems the most cost effective for the points I had to spare...

I don't know about losing so many bodies in this already low manpower army, but I 'll suspend my judgement until I've tested it out a bit more.

Do you guys feel this is an improvement? Or do you share my hesitation?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blood Angels, Competative, Tournament, Blitz, Jump Pack, MSU

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users