Hopefully my copy will turn up today :biggrin.:  my wife bought me the Limited Edition version to go alongside Talon of Horus :wub:

Ahhh, good to be you ;)

Sad it does not contain internal illustrations. It would have been good to see how the Ezekarion progress 'visually' from the first book

Anyone else thinks that Khayon being captive by the Inquisition is actually him using his Psyker Powers on another person body? After he repatedly done that in the new book, I swear this is what I expect now instead of him being really bound by the Inquisition.

Anyone else thinks that Khayon being captive by the Inquisition is actually him using his Psyker Powers on another person body? After he repatedly done that in the new book, I swear this is what I expect now instead of him being really bound by the Inquisition.

Evidence to the contrary is his replacement arm, which is the same on both bodies except that one has concluded its mutative cycle.

It is still a potential out for him, though. He could have lied. He could be possessing a facsimile body, if that's the sort of thing he gets into later on. Or perhaps he's just grown sufficiently powerful that he can utilize the technique as a means to escape death.

Personally, I prefer to think it's actually him there. Lends the tale more weight. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll die there, or be left to rot. I assume that the series once fully explored will catch up to the modern day perspective, and inevitably Something Will Happen. If it lasts that long.

Possibly! Though they have his sword, too. The Inquisition gives it to Sargon in one of the break quotes, and he... has a bit of a reaction.

Possibly! Though they have his sword, too. The Inquisition gives it to Sargon in one of the break quotes, and he... has a bit of a reaction.

Which was amazing - the ravings of it. Definitely hope it will have a continuation to the story and it would be fun in the end, especially if Sargon was you know 'right' :whistling:

I think it has to be Khayon present in their cells. If it isn't him, it takes away from his message - the fact that he is there, in person, having willingly gone to the throneworld and given himself up just to deliver a message, is absolutely chilling and adds substantial weight to his testimony. If it's a psychic puppet, then it's just a scary message.

Unless it's a plot of some kind! Perhaps Khayon has a plan to free himself so he can stand before the Emperor himself and proclaim the return of his fallen angels. Who knows?* I look forward to finding out. The Sargon quotes were tantalising. Either way, I certainly hope we learn more as the series progresses.

*continue the series please and thank you

Any word on the title or date for the next book?

Patience is a virtue.

Apparently.

I do feel even if it really is him captured he'll still escape. Because he is special. To prove he's special and to prove even in the special place on the special planet he's on he can still out special the specialness of the special situation leading to the special story line.

Doing the maths, and let's face it we all love a bit of maths mixed with a glorious helping of speculation, my best bet would be 2020, IF the series continues.

Let's look at what we know:

• Our Aaron is a total slacker - it takes said slacker about a whole year to write a book!
  • That book is usually a mind meltingly epic affair resulting in mild hysteria, the locking of a least one B&C thread and at least one marital argument over the spending of yet more money on a story about futuristic genetic super freaks who spend their time worshiping gods, guns and murder - my wife will never understand!
  • His current project is about Spears and is still in progress
  • We all want him to write another Heresy novel - let's assume BL ask & that he's got nothing better to do in 2018
  • We all want him to write another Black Legion novel - let's assume BL ask & that he's got nothing better to do in 2019

BOOM! Release date all but confirmed, 2020 for the 3rd instalment in the the Black Legion series... This time, it's war!

Doing the maths, and let's face it we all love a bit of maths mixed with a glorious helping of speculation, my best bet would be 2020, IF the series continues.

Let's look at what we know:

• Our Aaron is a total slacker - it takes said slacker about a whole year to write a book!
  • That book is usually a mind meltingly epic affair resulting in mild hysteria, the locking of a least one B&C thread and at least one marital argument over the spending of yet more money on a story about futuristic genetic super freaks who spend their time worshiping gods, guns and murder - my wife will never understand!
  • His current project is about Spears and is still in progress
  • We all want him to write another Heresy novel - let's assume BL ask & that he's got nothing better to do in 2018
  • We all want him to write another Black Legion novel - let's assume BL ask & that he's got nothing better to do in 2019

BOOM! Release date all but confirmed, 2020 for the 3rd instalment in the the Black Legion series... This time, it's war!

Maybe we can brib- I mean, incentivize him with hot dogs. Or painted miniatures.

Ran

I think I heard the next one was going to be called demon sword, which isn't a very good title, so maybe I misheard that, no idea were I heard it. So prob total rubbish.

Highly unlikely.

It would be spelt Daemon Sword for starters!

Also, he could call the next book "king of the carrot people" for all I care. As long as the story was the next in the series about the black legion I will buy it.

I am suitably humiliated for my poor spelling.

To offer penance ADB (upon completion of the new book) can have a free range turkey for Christmas reared by me which I will personally slaughter and pluck for him, if he ventures up to my farm. Offer open this Christmas and next. Get writing big lad.

Just finished Black Legion after re-reading ToH. Have to say it was tough to keep myself from reading it all in one shot! It was engaging from the beginning to the end. I mostly tried to pace myself thinking that there really isn't anything super exciting coming out for the reminder of the year (to me at least) so took my time with this one. I have to say it really does justice to the first one which was fantastic. Being a HH guy, I really enjoy seeing how the main HH characters evolved over time (or not if you live in the Eye) and Abaddon was always a character I found interesting. In the HH series he is mostly a hot headed angry pissed off person that is hard to like and the 40k version seemed the same, some warlord trying to overthrow the Imperium. ToH really gave him life and I loved that this was seen through the eyes of another character. Some of the things I really enjoyed/had questions about with BL:

1. Khayon: I really enjoy seeing him evolve and seeing things through his viewpoint. Him being a TS sorcerer worked really well in ToH and works well here as we can see things through him that would not have been possible were it another non-psyker character...esp the final battle. I will say that after reading ToH, BL and that short story at the end of BL...wow he must be like super powerful! He seems to easily rival Ahriman, made Magnus bow?!?! and also just rips anyone a new one. I do like his character and after the short story in BL, it would be great to see a "spin-off" with him, has alot of potential like interacting with Ahriman, Magnus etc.

2. Sigismund: Not going to say much but was looking forward to this one! I enjoyed his character in the HH series and the way the fight was highlighted was done really well. I love the description of him and how he has changed with time and it really highlights the warp and the differences in time. I bet if Sigismund was hanging out in the eye and didn't age like 1k years he would have kicked some arse. Some of his quotes were great and exactly what one wold imagine with him. I am really glad the battle was handled the way it was...I was almost expecting a long drawn out fight with alot of dialogue but probably would not have worked in this case as we all know Sigismund is not a man of many words. It is nice to know his fate as all through the HH series I always wondered how he met his end...much like Sevatar...hint hint. 

Although was a small description, I really enjoyed the discovery of a downed loyalist ship in the eye. It felt like a revelation for them and it was neat to see the differences in  equipment and weapons. I really enjoy these small subtle things to highlight the warp and living in it. 

3. Void ghosts: Maybe someone can explain this to me. I think I get the gist of them but I was little confused with what they really wanted. It almost seemed like a plot device but seems there were more to them. 

4. Delvarus: I really enjoyed his character in betrayer. Was hoping for little more in this one or maybe him doing something cool. 

5. Lord of Hosts stuff: Again maybe someone can better clarify the relationship between him and Khayon. The final face off was little confusing to me and I may have missed something but seemed little off with everything that happened between the two and then the final faceoff just seemed unexpected.

Otherwise was a great book and glad I got the LE (although I do agree maybe a few illustrations would have been cool). The short story in the end was a nice touch and could be a nice spin off :@)

Izlude

3 - it was partly plot device - but mainly it was warp/time shenangians and the point and 'level' of sacrifice that would be required to get what Abby want.

4. - Same. But one of the good parts of W40K is that 'great' characters die an ingominos death. And not being resurrected. Perpetuals and Vulkan we leave for HH.

5. - It was unexpected. That is one of the issues with the novel - Daravek started as solid 'villain' - but failed to deliver later. Also he was connected to Khayon through the spirit of Gyre.

After that spirit was removed from Daravek - he lost his grip on Khayon. Also Daravek was the chosen not of one Chaos deity (Nurgle) - but two. He was a chosen of Tzeentch too. That's why so much knowledge on everything.

• 5 months later...

I know I am a bit late to the party, but I just finished reading BLACK LEGION and I loved it.  This may be my new favorite book about the Chaos Space Marines.  It was a beautiful book.  Mr. Dembski-Bowden, if you're following this thread, I absolutely loved your book!  Well done!!!

i've only just started, have to say, adb's prose is just easier and more engaging than a lot fo the BL stable.

that being said, i did find the long list of different death guard underlings getting possessed and killing each other dragged a little. 

minor complaint at an early stage 

I could never finish this novel... not nearly as good as the last one. Story is not nearly as detailed and well thought... seems like he was just going for the easy play to his fanboys.

You can think something sucks. More power to you! But inventing reasons for why it sucks, that are obviously based on ridiculous insults without any evidence... What do you get out of that?

"An easy play to his fanboys." Christ alive, imagine actually believing that. Imagine how shamefully cynically you need to see the world to even frame that as a possibility.

Archived