Ultramarine Primaris covered by RobMac

Kelborn

Hail, lads,

our fellow frater RobMac just posted an update about his future project:

"Today I'm able to reveal the subject of my next Black Library novel - Ultramarines Primaris. It'll be the first outing for the boys in blue since Guy Haley's Dark Imperium, focussing on a specific ground-up combat operation rather than the work of Guilliman and thewider Imperium. Needless to say there's more to it than that, but for now you'll just have to trust me when I say it gets interesting fast!"

I commented and asked him about (waiting for his reply :wink:):

- Why Ultramarines again? They were already the main faction in several releases. Did you choose them by yourself?

- I'd love to read something about a entire new force of Primaris. Most likely the Wolfspear or maybe a BT Primaris or whatsoever.

- Besides, it follows GWs focus and it will most likely suit well with Guys Dark Imperium series.
- So is it basically about Primaris, which have become part of the UM chapter or are we going to see some new chapter founding shenanigans. Maybe the Fulminators?

So let us see of what he might reveal further. Having his Carcharodons in mind and the coming of The Last Hunt, I'm really intrigued about his take on both, Primaris and Ultramarines.

But I do hope that RG is only having a cameo or is a side character and not one of the main protagonists. This should be reserved for Guy's series.

So, what do you think about it? :smile.:

cheers

Edited by Kelborn

Can't speak more on it at the moment I'm afraid, except to point out, as per the below comment;

But I do hope that RG is only having a cameo or is a side character and not one of the main protagonists. This should be reserved for Guy's series.

I think it's safe to say RG won't be heavily featured, Mister Haley has done great work with him as it is. Beyond that I'm afraid folks will just have to wait and see/trust me when I say I think it's a pitch people will enjoy :yes:

Naturally.

Everyone dies and becomes a Zombiemarine of the Death Guard while very loyalists is being absorbed into the Ultramarines to stand against the Death Guard Zombies.

:P

@Rob: Well, I'm glad to hear that. Though GW did well in depicting him in the 8th edition, something different would be well received. I hope that we see some "conflict" in between Primaris and some Ultramarine hardliners, who might feel unsure or rather fear a replacement. Calgar being the leader of said faction could be a good opportunity to dive into the interactions / current situation of Ultramar. Once his most loyal sons feel now rejected. Guiliman has to defend the Imperium and does not notice the chasm between his own sons and himself.

Hail, lads,

our fellow frater RobMac just posted an update about his future project:

"Today I'm able to reveal the subject of my next Black Library novel - Ultramarines Primaris. It'll be the first outing for the boys in blue since Guy Haley's Dark Imperium, focussing on a specific ground-up combat operation rather than the work of Guilliman and thewider Imperium. Needless to say there's more to it than that, but for now you'll just have to trust me when I say it gets interesting fast!"

I commented and asked him about (waiting for his reply :wink:):

- Why Ultramarines again? They were already the main faction in several releases. Did you choose them by yourself?

- I'd love to read something about a entire new force of Primaris. Most likely the Wolfspear or maybe a BT Primaris or whatsoever.

- Besides, it follows GWs focus and it will most likely suit well with Guys Dark Imperium series.

- So is it basically about Primaris, which have become part of the UM chapter or are we going to see some new chapter founding shenanigans. Maybe the Fulminators?

So let us see of what he might reveal further. Having his Carcharodons in mind and the coming of The Last Hunt, I'm really intrigued about his take on both, Primaris and Ultramarines.

So, what do you think about it? :smile.:

cheers

Sigh - Smurfs again... :censored:  GW forgot that other Chapters exist in the Dark Imperium? Or does the new vanilla Smurfs - the new direction of GW?

*rolls eyes...

I feel your pain battle brother.

Can't speak more on it at the moment I'm afraid, except to point out, as per the below comment;

I think it's safe to say RG won't be heavily featured, Mister Haley has done great work with him as it is. Beyond that I'm afraid folks will just have to wait and see/trust me when I say I think it's a pitch people will enjoy :yes:

No disrespect intended - but come on. Stop that smurfs dominance. I know at least several people who change sides to Death Guard after all the smurf dominance in the last year

I'm convinced that we cannot make Rob responsible for this.

I rather believe that BL / GW had a strict idea of what they would want to release, etc.

So GW most likely said: BL! We'd love to have a couple of Dark Imperium novels featuring the new setting.

BL: 'Ere we go! We got Guy Haley for a series!

GW: Well done. We'd love to have additional stuff regarding the 8th edition.

BL: How about Aaron covering an nearly unknown chapter? Annnnd we got Rob over here, who's already got a schedule but we can add a novel about UMs to it.

GW: Perfect! Make it so.

Couple of months, years later, Rob is ready to start the UM novel.

I won't blame him for picking UMs. It's yet another chance for him to write about a different chapter. From what we've got so far, he covered about how many chapters? 4 or 5 already, including a NL warband, which doesn't have to hide before Talos' guys?

Of 'course, we as the community might get a bit bored of all the UM stuff going on. But we got such eras previously. Remember the (I call it) the year of the Wolf, last year? Warzone Fenris + Wrath of Magus + Warzone Fenris stories, etc.

Although I partly agree with you, Heri in that I as well would have love to see him writing about another chapter, I'll just sit down and relax and give him his well deserved chance. Until now, he did not disappoint. I'm really curious about The Last Hunt. And I can't wait to get some more details about this novel as well.

And don't forget UM Primaris may not be equal to UM Astartes. :wink: (And there's still a chance to get a Primaris only chapter out of it. :tongue.:)

Edited by Kelborn

I'm convinced that we cannot make Rob responsible for this.

I rather believe that BL / GW had a strict idea of what they would want to release, etc.

So GW most likely said: BL! We'd love to have a couple of Dark Imperium novels featuring the new setting.

BL: 'Ere we go! We got Guy Haley for a series!

GW: Well done. We'd love to have additional stuff regarding the 8th edition.

BL: How about Aaron covering an nearly unknown chapter? Annnnd we got Rob over here, who's already got a schedule but we can add a novel about UMs to it.

GW: Perfect! Make it so.

Couple of months, years later, Rob is ready to start the UM novel.

I won't blame him for picking UMs. It's yet another chance for him to write about a different chapter. From what we've got so far, he covered about how many chapters? 4 or 5 already, including a NL warband, which doesn't have to hide before Talos' guys?

Of 'course, we as the community might get a bit bored of all the UM stuff going on. But we got such eras previously. Remember the (I call it) the year of the Wolf, last year? Warzone Fenris + Wrath of Magus + Warzone Fenris stories, etc.

Although I partly agree with you, Heri in that I as well would have love to see him writing about another chapter, I'll just sit down and relax and give him his well deserved chance. Until now, he did not disappoint. I'm really curious about The Last Hunt. And I can't wait to get some more details about this novel as well.

And don't forget UM Primaris may not be equal to UM Astartes. :wink: (And there's still a chance to get a Primaris only chapter out of it. :tongue.:)

Do not forget all the 'Fate of Konor' campaign going on. I think that's the exact reason Robbie was given a job to write smurfs.

Well, if folks want post Gathering Storm novels with less blue in them there are options. As I said, people will just need to trust me until more details are released, this will explore characters and dynamics rarely, if ever, looked at before. :biggrin.:

Well even Novamarines would have been better ;) I know they are smurf descendants - but not smurfs nad it is awesome :)

But ok - our trust in you is strong :yes:

It would be great to have some novels covering characters that get the Primaris upgrade. To see how they experience dramatic size growth (hur hur) and improved resiliency to coming back to consciousness and realising they are better than before.

Maybe Calgar wouldn't be so negative if Cawl regrew his arms and legs. (I am remembering right that they were chopped off aren't I?)

Edited by Mellow

It would be great to have some novels covering characters that get the Primaris upgrade. To see how they experience dramatic size growth (hur hur) and improved resiliency to coming back to consciousness and realising they are better than before.

Maybe Calgar wouldn't be so negative if Cawl regrew his arms and legs. (I am remembering right that they were chopped off aren't I?)

1 Arm for sure  - don't sure about the legs

Well, if folks want post Gathering Storm novels with less blue in them there are options. As I said, people will just need to trust me until more details are released, this will explore characters and dynamics rarely, if ever, looked at before. :biggrin.:

Well even Novamarines would have been better :wink: I know they are smurf descendants - but not smurfs nad it is awesome :smile.:

Novamarines were some of the strictest followers of Guilliman's doctrines. If people get annoyed by Ultramarines being by-the-book, then they for sure would be with Novamarines as well. Besides, the sons of Lucretius Corvo are Haley's already.

I really wish GW would get over their love for UM and it's 9000 successor chapters.

Every time I see, or hear anything pertaining to the UM or it's successors, it turns me further away from anything BL. It's ridiculous because we all love WH40k because of the stories!

*Sgt Blue and Battle Brother blue bro'ed so hard when the xenos came, Sgt Blue has nightmares and all he sees is battle brother blue dying by the xenos, and he can never save baby blue. Courage and honour and blue and stuff. Blue bullets, blue guns, for the Emperor. I'm blue, if I was green I would die...for the Emperor I would cry.*

Let's hear more about other Chapters, other things in the Dsrk Imperium.

I really wish GW would get over their love for UM and it's 9000 successor chapters.

Every time I see, or hear anything pertaining to the UM or it's successors, it turns me further away from anything BL. It's ridiculous because we all love WH40k because of the stories!

*Sgt Blue and Battle Brother blue bro'ed so hard when the xenos came, Sgt Blue has nightmares and all he sees is battle brother blue dying by the xenos, and he can never save baby blue. Courage and honour and blue and stuff. Blue bullets, blue guns, for the Emperor. I'm blue, if I was green I would die...for the Emperor I would cry.*

I have to admit i don't understand this attitude. Does a good story become a bad one because of the chapter chosen? Would Red Tithe have been a bad novel if you replaced 'Carcharodon' with 'Ultramarine'?

I think the quality of the story and writing is far more important and relevant. Change the chapter name and colours, and Red Tithe would still be a good book. Likewise, even if you replaced the cast of the Damnos novels with Blood Angels, they'd still be mediocre.

Like i said, after reading Red Tithe, i trust Rob will provide a new view of the Ultramarines and tell a good story. (No pressure Mr Macniven)

I have to admit i don't understand this attitude. Does a good story become a bad one because of the chapter chosen? Would Red Tithe have been a bad novel if you replaced 'Carcharodon' with 'Ultramarine'?

I think the quality of the story and writing is far more important and relevant. Change the chapter name and colours, and Red Tithe would still be a good book. Likewise, even if you replaced the cast of the Damnos novels with Blood Angels, they'd still be mediocre.

Like i said, after reading Red Tithe, i trust Rob will provide a new view of the Ultramarines and tell a good story. (No pressure Mr Macniven)

I have this attitude because its the same guys we've always seen and heard of throughout 40k. Courage and Honour, they're the epitome of what a Space Marine should be, etc.

In my opinion, its just...old.

I agree, yes that the quality of the story and the writing is important, but who you're writing about is just as important.

I admit, I have not read Red Tithe, so I have no merit in saying anything about Mr Rob Mac and his book.

My issue is the golden boys constantly in the lime light.

I'd be happy with getting a story surrounding the Storm Reaper Primaris even.

But hey, we're all critics right?

I agree with BreezyLamar.

Though I'm not saying that this will be a bad novel because of the Ultramarines, some diversity would be cool. The Ultramarines had a LOT of spotlight in the recent time, so why not giving some other chapters a chance to shine?

I repeat: I'm NOT saying that this will be a bad novel because of the Ultramarines!

Rob showed us that he is able to take on different chapters. He can do so again and I'm trusting him in this. Tbh, I'm really curious about HIS take on the UM and how it will give us some new insights on the chapter itself as every author focuses on different aspects.

He did very well with the Carcharodons and imho will always be associated with them like Aaron is tied to Talos or Abaddon.

BUT....a different chapter would still be cool just to stick with the variety of 40K. Maybe there's more to come which we just don't know yet. Who knows?

I mean, we haven't had an Ultramarines focused series since... Uriel Ventris. There was a short story here, a novella there, enough to fill a Legends of the Dark Millennium book (though some of that was previously SMB material). Beyond that, the only things we got in terms of novels the past years was a Phil Kelly SMB novel and two Calgar books by Kearney. The Plagues of Orath was what, in 2014? Three novellas that got a paperback reprint last year I think, but old stuff.

Yes, Ultramarines were present in the Imperium Secundus arc of the HH, but they were hardly the focus. Angels of Caliban barely used them, Pharos was just as much a Night Lords novel and put more emphasis on scouts and militia as well as Dantioch and the Crimson Fist's Imperial Fists.

Ultramarines are just back in the spotlight due to Guilliman's return in Dark Imperium. That's it. It's been what, two entire editions since they last saw a starter set appearance with Black Reach? Dark Angels were arguably the big Chapter for a while. They got a trilogy from Gav, novellas and shorts from Dunn, a Space Marine Battles novel alongside Grey Knights, a novel about Azrael, a Horus Heresy novel, etc.

This past year alone we also had a re-release of Lemartes for Space Marine Legends, Dante released, Mephiston released, Devastation of Baal is due soon, and that is after Shield of Baal.

Then we had an entire series of 12 books about how the Imperial Fists got their butts handed to them and how all their successors at the time came together to hold hands and reform the Chapter.

And don't even get me started on Space Wolves with their Legends of the Dark Millennium serialized novel, Curse of the Wulfen, Legacy of Russ, short stories left and right, two novels in a Chris Wraight series that'll hopefully continue soon, and I'm not even sure if any other chapter has had as many audio productions as the pups did (Thunder from Fenris, Doomseeker, Twelve Wolves, The Art of Provocation, Parting of the Ways, Deathwolf, Vox Tenebris, The Thirteenth Wolf, Wolf's Claw, Hunter's Moon, Raptor, Brethren, Iceclaw...). They got Ragnar, they got Arjac, they had a Sanctus Reach novella... Need I go on?

Ultramarines are certainly not underrepresented, but material about them is absolutely not so abundant as to make everything else meaningless by comparison.

DarkChaplain, it is just my opinion.

No offense regarding Rob or someone else. Just my humble opinion that I would like to see a different chapter than one of the big ones again. This time, we got the Ultramarines.

I've mentioned the Space Wolves releases in my third post, calling it the Year of the Wolf. In the same post, I said that it's most likely GW / BL schedule which dictated a UM novel for the 8th edition besides Dark Imperium.

I totally agree with you that we got periods which dealt with several other chapters, in the past. DAs got a lot of stuff. Space Wolves as well.

IF they want to release stuff for the big Space Marine factions (Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Grey Knights and Codex Chapters), why not writing something for a different codex chapter? How about Iron Hands or Salamanders? Correct me if I'm wrong (which is most likely as I'm not an expert like you or other reviewers in here), but the last take on the Iron Hands was the brilliant Wrath of Iron while the Sallies got Kyme's omnibus, which were about what - 4 or 5 years ago?

Oh wait, ...there was recent Iron hand novel against the AdMec. Forgot about that.

I'm just saying that we got the Gathering Storm 3 arc and the ongoing Dark Imperium series, which will most likely follow RG. And we got the (again) invasion of Ultramar + Fate of Konor campaign.

The new setting is (either you like it or you don't) a very good chance to give some other chapters some spotlight.

For example:

- Raven Guard against Tau including Primaris; I'm curious of how they will turn the tides.

- Iron Hands; their homeworld is nearly sucked into the Great Rift, what is happening over there?

- Crimson Fists; they survived yet another invasion of their homeworld, following their path of surviving two near annihilations would be interesting

- Imperial Fists: yeah, they joined the Indomitus Crusade and then?

- Black Templars: they were mentioned in the latest SM codex; they accepted the Primaris and continued to crusade but do they really accept their new brothers? How would the Primaris, who were taught in the ways of the Imperial Truth, might react to their brother's zeal and fanatism?

There's just so many stuff going on and there are so many opportunities.

Again, I'm not blaming Rob or someone else for this. I'm just saying that there are (IMHO) way more interesting opportunities than following the Ultramarines.

Still, I'll follow this thread and absorb every little detail Rob is willing to share as I'm digging his work. I don't think that I'll be disappointed by this novel. But I still got the right to say: "Well, something else would be cool as well."

I mean, we haven't had an Ultramarines focused series since... Uriel Ventris. There was a short story here, a novella there, enough to fill a Legends of the Dark Millennium book (though some of that was previously SMB material). Beyond that, the only things we got in terms of novels the past years was a Phil Kelly SMB novel and two Calgar books by Kearney. The Plagues of Orath was what, in 2014? Three novellas that got a paperback reprint last year I think, but old stuff.

Yes, Ultramarines were present in the Imperium Secundus arc of the HH, but they were hardly the focus. Angels of Caliban barely used them, Pharos was just as much a Night Lords novel and put more emphasis on scouts and militia as well as Dantioch and the Crimson Fist's Imperial Fists.

Ultramarines are just back in the spotlight due to Guilliman's return in Dark Imperium. That's it. It's been what, two entire editions since they last saw a starter set appearance with Black Reach? Dark Angels were arguably the big Chapter for a while. They got a trilogy from Gav, novellas and shorts from Dunn, a Space Marine Battles novel alongside Grey Knights, a novel about Azrael, a Horus Heresy novel, etc.

This past year alone we also had a re-release of Lemartes for Space Marine Legends, Dante released, Mephiston released, Devastation of Baal is due soon, and that is after Shield of Baal.

Then we had an entire series of 12 books about how the Imperial Fists got their butts handed to them and how all their successors at the time came together to hold hands and reform the Chapter.

And don't even get me started on Space Wolves with their Legends of the Dark Millennium serialized novel, Curse of the Wulfen, Legacy of Russ, short stories left and right, two novels in a Chris Wraight series that'll hopefully continue soon, and I'm not even sure if any other chapter has had as many audio productions as the pups did (Thunder from Fenris, Doomseeker, Twelve Wolves, The Art of Provocation, Parting of the Ways, Deathwolf, Vox Tenebris, The Thirteenth Wolf, Wolf's Claw, Hunter's Moon, Raptor, Brethren, Iceclaw...). They got Ragnar, they got Arjac, they had a Sanctus Reach novella... Need I go on?

Ultramarines are certainly not underrepresented, but material about them is absolutely not so abundant as to make everything else meaningless by comparison.

Well said. There's been all kinds of chapters covered in novels, novellas and shorts in recent years, maybe some to more acclaim than others. To me it makes sense to look at how Guilliman's own deal with the emergence of Primaris in their companies and the overall chapter.

Using the Ultramarines as a foil for the community, one could depict the lore rift, that was caused by 8th - with some liking Primaris a lot and wishing for all Marines to become the new big guys, while some of the veterans are swearing by the regular Astartes. The rift between the former and the latter group could best be adressed in the one chapter, where the Primaris sort of originated. It's an interesting concept, really. Doesn't mean that that's what Rob will write about, though. :)

And as far as I understand, there will be several novels in the pipeline adressing post-Dark Imperium. We just don't know about them yet, since not every author feels comfortable talking about current ongoing projects. This is just a case of a frater actually writing one of these novels and being kind enough to let us know about it. So, yeah, can you all chill your loathing for the UM now? This is really not some kind of conspiracy to only have UM novels from here on out. :D

Well even Novamarines would have been better :wink: I know they are smurf descendants - but not smurfs nad it is awesome :smile.:

Novamarines were some of the strictest followers of Guilliman's doctrines. If people get annoyed by Ultramarines being by-the-book, then they for sure would be with Novamarines as well. Besides, the sons of Lucretius Corvo are Haley's already.

Corvo Attano bow in envy ;)