How About A Black Crusade Campaign?

Cryptix

Since it seems that we're seeing a bit of resurgence in this section of the forum how would you guys like to start a black crusade campaign? I'm willing to GM, but just wanted to check interest. I have somewhat of an idea of a campaign, all the puzzle pieces etc, but I'll leave it up to you guys to choose where you want to go first.

Alright, seems people want to play! I'll see if we can get maybe 5 players.

Would there be any kind of limitations?  Like only humans or only Astartes?  where do you plan to start the campaign?  Definitely interested.

Only if you guys want to, I'm not a fan of restricting options for players.

As for where do we start, on a ship :wink: .

...Alright fine, you're all part of a warband of marauding pirates plaguing the Segmentum Obscurus, mainly the system of Kuybos. Your planetary incursions will take place as "raids" which have a set of allied and enemy forces (for example, a cohort of 8 cultists and you vs an Imperial Guard defense line with possible Astartes support) and certain rewards mostly in infamy and XP, occassionally a special weapon. A campaign-specific thing I'm introducing is your influence with each of the 6 courts, which respond to the 4 chaos gods, chaos undivided, and no chaos. You'll have to manage them individually by going (or not!) on certain raids or completing an optional side objective in your next raid. Increased influence with a court gets you some special bonuses and traits, as well as access to good weapons, like decreasing the rarity of a hellblade if you manage to get some pretty high influence in the court of blood. I'll leave you with that little taste for now, but TL;DR:

- Play is structured into raids on a planet that affect your enemies 

- Have to manage influence with 6 different factions on board for some special bonuses

Hmmm, premise sounds promising and I have the books, Ill look into cooking something up; probably an Astartes too since Ive already got a few Mortals already.

I'm all in on the growing Astartes warband!

The question on using core book and / or the tomes is relevant, since there is quite an XP gap for some of those characters.

Fluffwise...are the "Courts" actual individuals you appeal (like a Primogen Elder Council in VtM) or the war bands way of describing the Pantheon?

I might think of making tome characters start with 250-350  XP if its really that much of a problem - most times I've played people just picked up tome characters so there was never really a difference.

How much starting xp do we get if we start with an Archetype from Core/Tome? I'm currently building a Thousand Sons Sorceror and all I really need to finish the character now is Starting XP if any.

How much starting xp do we get if we start with an Archetype from Core/Tome? I'm currently building a Thousand Sons Sorceror and all I really need to finish the character now is Starting XP if any.

Currently decided on 350 starting.

I think Slips just jumped my next question...is there a warband theme or is this a collection of heretic/ renegade and legion Astartes?

Band of Renegades.

I am still mad at FFG that you can not turn one of the Tome Archetypes into a minor psyker. DI has me a giggly for a Plaque Marine Sorcerer.

My other current doodles involve a Dragon Warriors Warpsmith or A Warpsmith from an IW splinter that worships Harshut.

Or a slaneeshy White Scar renegade who may or may not be a noisemarine.

Looking through the Codex there are a couple of Warbands I like (Invocation, Hedonistaari) but very little background on really shaping up a character.

If all else fails, I can always go with the Berserker- so you can simply assume I am yelling "Bloof for the Blood God" and charge when I can't make it to the thread in time ;)

Welcome to the World of Xin Ceithan, Host of the Multitude, Avatar of Indeciveness.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still aiming for a Thousand Sons Sorc but I'm up to swap to other archetypes if it wouldnt fit the Warband to have a TS Sorc in their midst or if you feel an Optimized TS Sorc might be too powerful, then I'll probably swap to something else.

Otherwise, my potentials are:

• 'Zerker
  • Raptor
  • Plague Marine
  • Chosen / VOTLW

Also, for the interested, heres a link to a Folio: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xju75jg4som4qw7/BC%20folio.pdf if you DL it and open it in adobe, its fillable.

Follow Up, if I make a VOTLW, can I give him an Accursed Crozius. If I can, can it be acq'd as a Daemon Weapon and if so, would say that its base profile in ToE is the Daemon Weapon version? Because something seems REALLY off to me about having a 3d10+6E Pen 7, Felling (8), <otherstuff> Crozius that ALSO gives a PR50 Shield.
And heres the rolls:

Stats: http://orokos.com/roll/547406
Infamy: http://orokos.com/roll/547409
Wounds: http://orokos.com/roll/547413
Gift of Chaos +/- 3: http://orokos.com/roll/547556

Actually, Scratch that with the Accursed Crozius Shenanigans; just going to take the Wealth Pride and nab myself a Good Craft. Power Fist.

That said, heres the Char Sheet for my potential VOTLW who I'm starting to like more than a TS Sorc; ability and extra gear he nabbed is from Khorne Berzerker (Avatar of Slaughter + Chainsword).

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AqrDmDB5nqhsg-dJpjEb8aQAUcNBCA

Edited by Slips
Merged posts.

The Crozius has so many Extras by itself, the Save it conveys is really a cover save.

I am still doodling over my concepts from my last post - or are the pc supposed to be from a common renegade Chapter (as the CS, eg) and so are we just talking classes?

In which case i am considering in no particular order:

VotlW Sorcerer

Plaque Marine (Sorcerer?)

Noise Marine

Warpsmith

Or the Night Lord as a Raptor template

Okay, after digging through my pile-o-RPG books, and looking at Black Crusade stuff, I think I'd like to go with either a Veteran of the Long War or a Champion....

As an aside, is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that it is easier to get a Legion Plasma gun than it is a Legion Bolter..... I kid you not, the Legion Plasma gun is "very rare" (-20, single item +10 = final rarity of -10, this means you can start with it) while the Legion Bolter is "Extremely rare" (-30, single item +10 = final rarity of -20, this means that a CSM cannot start with a Bolter... well any bolt weapon really outside of starting kit, even then it's only bolt pistols....)

After much thought, this is how I'd like to go character wise:

Champion

Fallen Dark Angle Centurion (Champion) under Merir Astelan

Terran Born, joined with child hood friend Merir Astelan

Distrusts daemons and those that will traffic with daemons

Currently wanders the Warp remorseful for his actions on Caliban, seeking a worth foe for redemption.

Uses mk. IV power armour

Robes

Bolt Pistol (I found a loop hole to get one)

Plasma Pistol (use starting infamy to get one)

Power Sword (starting kit from Champion)

Often confused both for better and worse as Cypher

Trying to avoid falling into the embrace of any of the Chaos Gods