Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Codex Death Guard First Look

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1291 replies to this topic

RedFox

RedFox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 314 posts

There are plenty of alternate bits for Deathshroud! Forge World makes them.

I am looking at my grave wardens and deathshroud models, even breaking some apart...and I can't seem to figure how any of those bits can be used in conjonction with the new 40k deathshroud kit (beside the heads)

• Fenbain likes this

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 627 posts

You know what I meant. dry.png

Calyptra

Calyptra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 145 posts
  • Chapter Name: Dark Eldar

Horrible sprue, no customization. This is really the era of the monopose model, sad times imo.

I recommend a saw and some green stuff. I find converting plastic Nurgle models to be really easy and fun. When in doubt just add more boils and Nurglings!
When not in doubt, add more Nurglings anyway.

And it works for models from any faction, not just Death Guard!

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,981 posts

Got my hands on the limited edition - far too expensive, but I'm really pleased with it. Feels far better designed than the others I've purchased, really meaty. Nice little touch having the symbol on the cardboard box it comes in.

Spoiler

Read most of the fluff already and I have to say, I'm really impressed. They've done a great job. Some really, really cool bits that I'd love to see expanded upon. This release is impressive beyond my wildest expectations, and as a DG fan I sincerely hope other Traitor Legions (and sub-factions of other races too, not just marines) get this kind of detail. Hopefully it shows GW that if they invest time and money in renewing (or creating) a range, it is going to convince even cynics like me to part with their cash.

I think all of the info is out there now, but in case there are any questions ask away

What is going on with Typhus and the other Death Guard captains? 

Typhus is still formally the First Captain of the Death Guard. He and Mortarion have basically reached an arrangement where Typhus does his own thing (they still hate each other) but joins the Death Guard for major campaigns. Mortarion, in a rare moment of patience, allowed him to ragequit the plague planet, because he did not want to repeat the mistakes of his own father.  In the timeline, he essentially does his own thing all the time, often at the head of a coalition of other traitor forces (allied warbands of the Purge and the Cleaved for example).

At one point, he duels and humbles (their words) Huron Blackheart, only leaving him alive to show him that Nurgle is both 1) the best and 2) a generally swell guy.

There are other high-ranking captains named and some pop up throughout the book, but none are really expanded upon much other than little nuggets in the timeline. One company is actually ruled over by a gestalt daemon named the 'Eater of Lives' (Grulgor from the HH), which is a really nice touch. Various Vectoriums get some attention showing their specialties, and even Mortarion's defeat at the hands of Draigo is written in a more appropriate fashion (no mention of the heart).

In terms of their organisation, they avoid saying that the Death Guard are flat out the 'only organised Traitor Legion,' so there is definitely room for them to bring back others (WB, IW etc) with significant cohesion also. In the current timeline, Mortarion has only recently duelled and defeated Perturabo and his Iron Warriors Legion.

Edited by Marshal Loss, 16 September 2017 - 01:41 AM.

• DeadFingers, Lord Marshal, LetsYouDown and 1 other like this

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye
A (perpetually inactive) blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company

Can somebody push some damn perspective in me, because right now I'm back to calling the DG the new level of cheese not seen since 7th edition Eldar came out.

And just a FYI, not that I am calling anyone out in particular, but over on some of the other boards they are poking fun at us here on this board for griping about the DG. It only makes me more determined to find a way to field pure SW lists against them.

RedFox

RedFox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 314 posts
Btw why do new deathshrouds have destroyer hives on their back? Is there even rules to represent this? (Like Typhus) ?

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,981 posts

Btw why do new deathshrouds have destroyer hives on their back? Is there even rules to represent this? (Like Typhus) ?

Nope, no rules to represent it. I guess it's just an easy to way to show that they are elite when looking at the models.

Their role has changed also - they're not just bodyguards anymore, although they are still recruited in the same way as they were pre-Heresy. Essentially they are Mortarion's representatives and emissaries, enforcing his rule across the Legion. The Deathshroud will be sent to guard somebody, and if he succeeds they just leave, and if he doesn't, they butcher him. They also have a really cool oath:

Even whilst we fight, we watch.

Even while we kill, we judge.

Midst war's full fury, still we see.

Midst all your guards, still we strike.

We are the Death Lord's icy gaze, and we are his reaping blade.

This updated lore explains why there are helmetless heads

Edited by Marshal Loss, 16 September 2017 - 02:10 AM.

• Hellex_The_Thanatar and sfPanzer like this

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye

Can somebody push some damn perspective in me, because right now I'm back to calling the DG the new level of cheese not seen since 7th edition Eldar came out.

And just a FYI, not that I am calling anyone out in particular, but over on some of the other boards they are poking fun at us here on this board for griping about the DG. It only makes me more determined to find a way to field pure SW lists against them.

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,409 posts
  • Chapter Name: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

I am looking at my grave wardens and deathshroud models, even breaking some apart...and I can't seem to figure how any of those bits can be used in conjonction with the new 40k deathshroud kit (beside the heads)

I'll take a look between the two and see what might be possible. 

You know what I meant. dry.png

I was half-serious, half-joking, but I already have a 5 man squad from FW and if I decide to take some in 40k, I'll be converting them from those. I know not everyone has the conversion skills to pull off something like that which is why I suggested bits - the helmets, scythes, and the legs I think could all be used with only minor modifications to Nurgle them up. 

*edit* Also somewhat disappointed in the Blightlords because they're exactly what I feared they would be - far too specific in the mutations and corrosion to not have multiple squads looking identical without a lot of work to differentiate them. The Brundlelord is an especially egregious example of this. 

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage, 16 September 2017 - 02:14 AM.

dVIGLrG.pngC5pEYmg.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

In the grim darkness of the far future, hope is the first step to despair.

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,981 posts

Favourite little lore nugget: when the Defilers were invented, instead of desperately sending whole armies to find the plans like everybody else did, Mortarion just demanded that Abaddon give him the schematics. Abaddon, not seeing the point in pissing off an already perpetually grumpy Daemon Primarch, simply agreed. :P

Mortarion even has his own personal plague surgeon, who listens to his ramblings like a doctor does in real life. Brilliant.

• Reldn, Plaguecaster, Loquille and 3 others like this

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye

redmapa

redmapa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,810 posts
  • Chapter Name: Reclaimant Crusade

Favourite little lore nugget: when the Defilers were invented, instead of desperately sending whole armies to find the plans like everybody else did, Mortarion just demanded that Abaddon give him the schematics. Abaddon, not seeing the point in pissing off an already perpetually grumpy Daemon Primarch, simply agreed. tongue.png

Mortarion even has his own personal plague surgeon, who listens to his ramblings like a doctor does in real life. Brilliant.

Thats awesome, reminds me of a character /tg/ made that was made to be Mortarion's confidant, Foot Stool they called him and he was a special Death Shroud. That was a good thread.

• Marshal Loss likes this
++NO PITY.NO REMORSE.NO FEAR++
++Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.++

++We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting
Till the end
++

Hellex_The_Thanatar

Hellex_The_Thanatar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 396 posts

Got my hands on the limited edition - far too expensive, but I'm really pleased with it. Feels far better designed than the others I've purchased, really meaty. Nice little touch having the symbol on the cardboard box it comes in.

Spoiler

Read most of the fluff already and I have to say, I'm really impressed. They've done a great job. Some really, really cool bits that I'd love to see expanded upon. This release is impressive beyond my wildest expectations, and as a DG fan I sincerely hope other Traitor Legions (and sub-factions of other races too, not just marines) get this kind of detail. Hopefully it shows GW that if they invest time and money in renewing (or creating) a range, it is going to convince even cynics like me to part with their cash.

I think all of the info is out there now, but in case there are any questions ask away

What is going on with Typhus and the other Death Guard captains?

Typhus is still formally the First Captain of the Death Guard. He and Mortarion have basically reached an arrangement where Typhus does his own thing (they still hate each other) but joins the Death Guard for major campaigns. Mortarion, in a rare moment of patience, allowed him to ragequit the plague planet, because he did not want to repeat the mistakes of his own father. In the timeline, he essentially does his own thing all the time, often at the head of a coalition of other traitor forces (allied warbands of the Purge and the Cleaved for example).

At one point, he duels and humbles (their words) Huron Blackheart, only leaving him alive to show him that Nurgle is both 1) the best and 2) a generally swell guy.

There are other high-ranking captains named and some pop up throughout the book, but none are really expanded upon much other than little nuggets in the timeline. One company is actually ruled over by a gestalt daemon named the 'Eater of Lives' (Grulgor from the HH), which is a really nice touch. Various Vectoriums get some attention showing their specialties, and even Mortarion's defeat at the hands of Draigo is written in a more appropriate fashion (no mention of the heart).

In terms of their organisation, they avoid saying that the Death Guard are flat out the 'only organised Traitor Legion,' so there is definitely room for them to bring back others (WB, IW etc) with significant cohesion also. In the current timeline, Mortarion has only recently duelled and defeated Perturabo and his Iron Warriors Legion.

Wait what perty got smacked down by the second most emo primarch??

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,981 posts

The duel is (like all Primarch duels basically) a standstill and goes for seven hours, but the Death Guard's resilience and plagues grind down the Iron Warriors, destroying masses of vehicles to the point that Perturabo is forced to call a retreat under the cover of a bunch of detonating trenches. Both sides take massive casualties, it's fought over some the heathen 'Temple of Ascension'. It's very recent in the timeline too, sounds cool, would like a DG vs Iron Warriors novel (nudge nudge Black Library) based around this. 

So yeah it's not like Morty smacks down Perturabo, but despite his losses it's a pretty emphatic victory for the DG in a really large-scale conflict against a powerful foe, so I'd chalk it up as a meaningful victory. We know from experience that Perturabo is not exactly fond of calling retreats when he really wants something.

Another cool nugget: Mortarion and his Deathshroud hold the breach in a wall against an entire Legion of Necrons (anybody know how many this is? it sounds impressive), and by the time his Legion frantically rush to save him, Mortarion and his boys are standing surrounded by an entire dead Legion of Necrons. Heh.

• Plaguecaster, LetsYouDown and sfPanzer like this

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,011 posts
The deathshroud sadly remind me of the skaven storm fiends. Awesome models but a touch monopose. I'd still pick up 2 boxes though if I were a death guard player.

Ultimately it's a minor issue and such a wonderful release!

Hathor42

Hathor42

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 83 posts
Picked up the epub codex and tried to download but they only have the tablet version :(

Caldersson

Caldersson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 789 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood of Fenris

Might be me but none of these appeat to be multi part and seem monopose. The one with the tentacle belly holding the weapon especially.

Even if they turn out to be monopose I don't think it's a big deal... They look awesome and are already in dynamic poses. I sure since these are the "special" terminators they're going to be more like the characters GW has been pushing up. I do expect the regular terminators will be completely poseable/modelable.

I will agree they are awesome models and really show what GW can do. Still hoping GW does this for more chapters/legions.

I was just hoping for 6 models that didnt repeat. This would allow 2 units of deathshroud. I simply wish for 100% unique army. I will have to get creative. I dont think FW parts will work due to scale difference.
Challenges Completed:sml_gallery_69091_12729_6611.jpggallery_4664_11830_1029.jpeg<p> Looking to buy Wulfen or SW Termie shields, send me a PM.

Isolia

Isolia

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 364 posts

Spoiler

Same impression here, I'm not mad at myself anymore for this ridiculous expense :) the tokens are stunning too, and double as psychic power markers, and the book is gorgeous!

There are still some available for those who can't resist (which is futile anyway ;) ) =)

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,981 posts

There are still some available for those who can't resist (which is futile anyway msn-wink.gif ) =)

Just as the Destroyer Plague brought down the Death Guard, so too will the Limited Edition bring down the wallets of their fans!

More fun facts for those not buying the book but interested in the lore:

• Mortarion designed the Plagueburst Crawlers himself - it is a daemon engine because of his 'rely on nothing' mantra
  • Each great company has their own enormous fortress on the Plague Planet, the greatest of which is the 'Black Manse,' Mortarion's vast holdfast
  • The Death Lord is characterised as being tactically adept and a great warrior, like his 30k incarnation, but he sometimes underestimates foes as a result of his disdain for those he deems weak
  • Silence is a daemon weapon now, possessed by an entity of great power
  • Bloat drones are given the fleshmower if they cannot be trusted to hold back and shoot :P They often hunt in pairs with Bloat drones armed with plague spewer's, so the fleshmower can mulch everything which the other drone sucks up as sustenance/ammunition

There is also an incredibly badass picture of Typhus in the new book (my opinion, anyway)

Spoiler

Apologies for the poor quality

• Plaguecaster, LetsYouDown and sfPanzer like this

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,157 posts
  • Chapter Name: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

Ok, the Codex is out boys, girls and plaguetoads!  :P

Time to close this thing down. 

gallery_26_548_17394.gif

"Deception is the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he´╗┐ saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_29004_9303_652.pnggallery_48988_13169_1292.png

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users