Historical Facts/Legends that would fit in 40k

Filkarion

Inspired by tales about my city, a Napoleon biography read by my wife, a John Blanche interview about history as an inspiration for fantasy works, the desire to talk about my city and a long talk with a poor guy at the Forge World Store in Nottingham, I have decided to start a topic about Historical Facts (or at least veritable legends), preferably local or not well known, that would fit in 40k and how.

I expect great tales of badassery, triumphs or heroic losses, cutting wits and overall good tales.

I have some to share and will gladly listen.

Note that I have a project not jet started about an imperial militia/inquistor/rogue trader army inspired by my city.

I lived all my life in Genova (or Genoa, in english); it's a city full of history (notably born place of this guy) but let me disclose to you some juicy less know facts:

---

We sold our flag to England: famed as merchant and greedy people we saw no problems in selling our own colors to the English. 

"The St. George's flag, a red cross on a white field, was adopted by England and the City of London in 1190 for their ships entering the Mediterranean to benefit from the protection of the Genoese fleet. The English Monarch paid an annual tribute to the Doge of Genoa for this privilege."

As the fleet of Genoa was famed among pirates... or maybe the pirates where from Genoa... or wathever:whistling:

How it would translate to 40k: I can easy imagine some "honorable" house selling his banner to someone... and by the way, what are the origins of the Imperium Eagle? Ok... maybe it's too much but I find a planet or system full of Coin over Tradition/Honor/Pride minded people would fit well in our favorite galaxy

---

After French King Luis XIV ordered the city bombed but the city endured until the ships ran out of ammunition.

Then the Doge (Leader of the city elected among the most powerful merchant families) was invited by the King at Versailles, to umiliate him with the splendor of his palace. It is said (only in Italian and French wikipedia, sorry:sweat: ) that Luis asked the Doge what was the most incredible thing he saw in Versailles during his visit. The Doge Francesco Maria Imperiale Lercari simply responded "Mi chi", witch means "Myself being here". So Genova fell under French influence, but not without a badass quote:sweat: 

How it would translate to 40k: a story of endurance and a witty quote. It could be an inquisitor refusing the temptations and menace of a slaanesh lord, or any character just refusing an easy way out

---

Andrea Doria  : noble orphan scion out of money turned soldier of fortune, then captain, then admiral, then leader de facto of his city without being Doge, one who dealt with Kings and Emperors, survived coups, outlived a lot of his heirs and died 93!

How it would translate to 40k: Ultimate Rogue Trader. At last for me:yes:

---

So how about the history of your area? I'm really curious!

DISCLAIMER: If admin find this topic inappropriate, no problem. And please, no historical facts after around 1900 for obvious reasons:sweat:

I have no intention by any mean of starting a "my country is better than yours" contest. All places have their ups and downs, just tell us cool stories!

Hopefully both!

As said real history is a great source of inspiration for 40k, (has always been) and I was looking for a chance to get some knowledge and inspiration from this great international community.

I see 40k as a precious common ground, among other things, for this kind of cultural exchange 

Edited by Filkarion

Well, unfortunately we generally prefer to avoid discussing real-world things too deeply - we want to keep it focused on 40k. That said, perhaps you could head down to the Fan Fiction forum (if you have a 40k story inspired by your home), or the Liber forum (if you have an army background idea you want to flesh out)?

I fully understand the motivation for this and I was aware that I was probably a bit over the edge of forum rules, still it's a bit sad for me:ermm:

I have already taken a look at the Liber forum and found it really interesting, so I will tell my "history inspired" stories there and in a future WIP thread when I will actually start the army project; could I put Wikipedia links to the inspiration source there then or it would be still against the forum rules?

I was actually interested in the "listen" part, but I guess there is plenty of good stories already written all around the forum:happy.:

Well, as I'm generally interested in local history I will just leave here that if anyone have interesting bits to tell me about, could just PM me:yes:

Edited by Filkarion

Well I dig this.

I can share a knight which I have been tempted to do a DiY chapter around.

Nuno Ãlvares Pereira.

Bastard son of the Head of the Knights of St. John in Portugal, he was legitimised a year after his birth and received a Knightly education and served as page for the queen.

His military life started at 13, few skirmishs along the border, and he was an impetuous and brave young man who soon showed himself to be an excellent leader.

When the country faced a succession crisis, he supported a bastard son of the king, so the country would not lose his independence.

After his first battle against the other kingdom

(where he faced his own brother in battle supporting the rival country king claim) he was made protector of the realm.

In another battle he, with 6,500 volunteers managed to secure a victory against an enemy force of over 30000.

Following this victory and to avoid giving the enemy room to manouver he invaded the enemy territory and faced another army of about 20000 with about 3000 men.

Crossing a river, he split his army to hold both sides and cut his way through the the enemy to face the Grand Master of another knightly order defeating him in single combat. That broke the morale of the enemy army.

But it was not his feat of arms alone that make him a legend among my country.

When hostilities ended he join a small religious order and have all his wealth to his veterans, and spent the rest of his days as a monk.

He didn't allow his men to pillage or behave in a non "cristian" manner, and he feed enemy villages that were suffering from the war from his own money.

He was raised reading with the Arthurian legends and had an admiration for Gallahad which example he tried to follow.

Edited by Sete

Got interrupted. But following the second part about how to relate to 40k this idea.

His Shield of Arms was a silver cross on a red field, so obviously that can serve as chapter colour and symbol.

Even after he joined the monk order he always used his armour under the robe, so DA would serve perfectly for this.

Robe colours I would go black, due to his heritage of the Knights of St John.

In universe could be easily tied to Dorn (Dorn Geneseed, cmon the guy is all about duty) painting his armour black during the scouring.

Last but not least name!

Knights of Dorn comes to mind but it already exists, so Crimson Knights would be a close second. ( I will probably wait for DA Primaris with robes to do this tho).

Edited by Sete

I'm not sure if it's what you're after but one of my favourite 'real world' references in 40k was in AD-B's Talon of Horus. The ‘Ragged Knight’ (one of Khayon's summoned/bound Daemons) was birthed by Pope Innocent III's Crusade against the Cathars (1209-1229), usually referred to as the Albigensian Crusade. So, a Daemon Lord/Prince of Khorne born of Medieval genocide… 

Sete has fully understand what I wanted: cool historical facts/figures of your area that would fit in the 40k universe and how

It's educational and fun!^^ Less known history is best history (for me at last!^^)

Still the bit about an actual and precise historical fact linked to an official BL book is pure gold

As usual well done AD-B^^ 

Thanks for pointing it out for me Kizzdougs, I read about the Cathars and even them are a lot "40k" to me, with their extreme philosophy (total refuse of the material, to the point of letting themselves die,,,)!

• 4 weeks later...

I hope there is nothing bad if I resurrect this topic, but...I found another one!

during the 100 years war between England and France, there was the battle of Crécy (1346)

Here the 50 years old and blind John of Bohemia, on the French side, asked to be tied to his horse and decided to _letteraly charge blindly_ into the English army.

His death remained as a testament to declining chivalry for ages.

Now I think of him every time I convert a blind warrior for 40k!