Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Wargame Exclusive/ Grim Skull] News & Releases

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Kastor Krieg

Kastor Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,959 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars

We've just seen the breadth of the GW Nurgle release. I think this is on par with the Typhus coming from GW and seems a bit more aligned with the old sculpt. More menacing.

g022v0S.jpg

isrmLHd.jpg

upYiR6B.jpg

EhDGOhF.jpg

BxOteic.jpg

Edited by Kastor Krieg, 22 August 2017 - 02:50 PM.

• Flame Boy, Arkhanist, Gumo9 and 6 others like this

Threefold Brush Studio Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! We ship worldwide.

psp20ZC.jpggallery_45765_12908_1745.png

Necromunda conversion thread: Beastmen notGoliath! Dark Eldar notEscher!

Zodd1888

Zodd1888

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 411 posts
Wowzers. Nice.

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,060 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sanguine Eagles, Death Guard

A bit better than their abaddon, but pretty much everything on it just looks too big and chunky, much like their other models.

• DuskRaider, fire golem, MajorWesJanson and 3 others like this

gallery_84244_13371_906.png gallery_84244_13422_1322.png gallery_84244_13956_2427.png gallery_84244_13422_1754.jpg gallery_84244_11417_12782.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpg

The Observer

The Observer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 730 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Legions of Yore
While a bit better than their Abaddon, to me anyways, it still has this odd, warcraft II-esque chunkiness to it...
  • fire golem, Halandaar and Caldersson like this

My own blog (Update: 24:10.2017) smile.png : https://beneathterra.blogspot.ch/

"What if the struggle between the Emperor and Chaos is a simplified example of Hegelian Dialectics that cannot reach a solution due to an insidious, capitalistic bid for the consumers money?" - A censored.gifpost by yours truly, 12th of August 2017, before the clock struck 1AM

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,060 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sanguine Eagles, Death Guard

While a bit better than their Abaddon, to me anyways, it still has this odd, warcraft II-esque chunkiness to it...

Yep. It looks like what Typhus would be if he'd been added to Heroes of the Storm by Blizzard.

• Avicenna likes this

gallery_84244_13371_906.png gallery_84244_13422_1322.png gallery_84244_13956_2427.png gallery_84244_13422_1754.jpg gallery_84244_11417_12782.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpg

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 850 posts

So by "more menacing" you mean 'that cliche made up scythe pose that makes no sense'?

The old official one had almost the same pose but at least implied he was readied for movement. This guy is doing the stepping forwards cliche commander pose and just kind of holding his scythe in front of him in order to fend off wandering pugilists. New official plastic Typhus has the same leg forwards commander cliche but is at least doing something with his scythe that's fitting for that pose.

I think my main problem with new plastic Typhus is he looks like he's in a wizard pose not a warrior one. Which is only a problem because I'm used to the old one which kept confusing me every time I got reminded Typhus was a psyker.

Now all I want is a pox walker doing the one leg forwards commander pose with a stupid grin.

• Irbis likes this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,395 posts

Very good.

Not often a fan of these guys but that is above and beyond.

Will need to see the new GW Typhus in a high res before we have a winner though.

gallery_62972_10568_11157.jpg 30k WIP Thread: Talons : 40k WIP Thread "You would not cut down a tree with a sword, neither will you pierce a heart with an axe."

Withershadow

Withershadow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,105 posts

Yep. It looks like what Typhus would be if he'd been added to Heroes of the Storm by Blizzard.
Funny you should say that, considering a lot of the recent model design language screams World of Warcraft to me, particularly with the new bright and tentically Nurgle marines. This seems to bridge nicely between the new GW and the old school FW approach of rust and broken hoses.

Kastor Krieg

Kastor Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,959 posts

So by "more menacing" you mean 'that cliche made up scythe pose that makes no sense'?

No. Helmet, details, general menacing Nurglishness.

The old official one had almost the same pose but at least implied he was readied for movement. This guy is doing the stepping forwards cliche commander pose and just kind of holding his scythe in front of him in order to fend off wandering pugilists. New official plastic Typhus has the same leg forwards commander cliche but is at least doing something with his scythe that's fitting for that pose.

This guy was not readied for movement, he was in a "Huh? What's that noise?" pose. And holds the scythe exactly the same.
99800102017_TyphusNEW_01.jpg

Edited by Kastor Krieg, 22 August 2017 - 04:14 PM.

sockwithaticket

sockwithaticket

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,927 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson Tears

Am I right in thinking that the render tends to be chunkier than the actual model?

Crimson Tears, Deathwatch and Inquisition WIP thread (most recent page):
http://www.bolterand...updated/page-28

Deathwatch Hall of Honour thread:
http://www.bolterand...maccrage/page-4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,876 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cacophony of Unbound Pleasure
That actually doesn't look bad at all tho I always get the feeling that the proportions of Wargame Exclusive models are a little bit off.

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpg

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 548 posts

Yeah, the pose is nice in theory, but there's a fundamental wrongness throughout it. I can't imagine putting this on the table next to proper Nurgle models and people not immediately noticing that it's from a completely different place. 

• MajorWesJanson likes this

1000 sons

1000 sons

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 801 posts
  • Chapter Name: Thousand Sons
Nice model, love the chain of bells dragging behind him.
  • Kastor Krieg likes this

ndKfPF6.jpg AiT9Upe.jpg

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 850 posts

This guy was not readied for movement, he was in a "Huh? What's that noise?" pose. And holds the scythe exactly the same.

He was stepping back in a way that implies he's ready to strike forwards.

Yes the scythe is held the same way except for a slightly different incline. While the rest of the body is posed completely different. That's a clear demonstration that the designer is awful at poses and or lazy.

Classic metal Typhus is in a pose that would actually be a okay 'come at me'/ready to strike pose if only he had an axe like a proper soldier. Third party Typhus is hold his scythe defensively in front of himself while he has a look around from the top of this rubble pile, showing that he has no confidence what so ever. Its the "as long as it looks cool who cares if it wouldn't impress anyone who knows how to fight" school of fantasy art poses.

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,517 posts

*looks and the new DG models* too "chunky" ... what huh.png not "hiting" when he is clearly doing it with the end part of his pole weapon. Are we all looking at the same art?

• Kastor Krieg and CrimsonReign like this

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

AlphariusOmegon108

AlphariusOmegon108

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
  • Location:Veenendaal, Holland, Europe, Planet earth, Solarsystem
  • Chapter Name: Scythes of the emperor
I'm sorry... it looks terrible :/ it honestly really has that russian 3th party afternoon sculpt look

Check out my commision work on facebook:  https://www.facebook.../DeamonsAtWork/

feel free to shoot me a PM with guestions or with commisions you want to have done smile.png

gallery_92945_11930_15891.jpeg

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,243 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines
I think it's ok. It's different yet familiar enough.

-~Ishagu~-

Brother Aiwass

Brother Aiwass

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,717 posts
  • Chapter Name: [REDACTED]

Really ham fisted.

gallery_33122_7839_9820.pnggallery_33122_7839_16895.pngheader-blog.jpg

OnboardG1

OnboardG1

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 317 posts
  • Chapter Name: Night Lords

I think it feels a little too busy to me. The old Typhus model was detailed but they were a bit more subtle. This looks like detail for the hell of it, without necessarily adding to the effect of the mini.

Ave Dominus Nox.

Wolf Lord Loki

Wolf Lord Loki

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 520 posts

He was stepping back in a way that implies he's ready to strike forwards.

Yes the scythe is held the same way except for a slightly different incline. While the rest of the body is posed completely different. That's a clear demonstration that the designer is awful at poses and or lazy.

Classic metal Typhus is in a pose that would actually be a okay 'come at me'/ready to strike pose if only he had an axe like a proper soldier. Third party Typhus is hold his scythe defensively in front of himself while he has a look around from the top of this rubble pile, showing that he has no confidence what so ever. Its the "as long as it looks cool who cares if it wouldn't impress anyone who knows how to fight" school of fantasy art poses.

Would that 'know how to fight' school be the ones pointing out the rediculousness of trying to use a scythes as a weapon of war? ;-)

Cool look but not practical

So im not sure we can moan about poor positioning of feet ;-)
Battle Tracker for my White Scars (Swindon 2008): Games this year 5 - Wins 2, Losses 2, Draws 1

Opponents:
Grey Knights 0/ 1/ 0 Imperial Guard 1/ 0/ 0
Eldar - 0/ 1/ 0 Crimson Fists 0/ 0/ 1
Tau 1/ 0/ 0

mhacdebhandia

mhacdebhandia

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 705 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sons of Medusa

The scythe is oversized like Warcraft weapons, especially the parts wrapped around the wooden haft, which are ludicrously thick.

Kastor Krieg

Kastor Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,959 posts

And it's another "must have" for me.

• Brother Chaplain Ryld, Deadlight, Interrogator Stobz and 4 others like this

grailkeeper

grailkeeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 214 posts
  • Chapter Name: Vylka Fenrika

That zoom in on the cherub made me ... uncomfortable.

• walter h, Space Truckin and Hungry Nostraman Lizard like this

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,876 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cacophony of Unbound Pleasure

Neat.

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpg

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,701 posts
  • Chapter Name: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

Talk about overloading a mini with needless detail; super-pass from me.

• Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra, Lexington, Interrogator Stobz and 5 others like this

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users