Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Wargame Exclusive/ Grim Skull] News & Releases

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

koran

koran

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 416 posts

Beautiful model.

Follow me on Instagram: http://instagram.com/artisans_of_vaul

TheFinisher4Ever

TheFinisher4Ever

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 538 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
They just released their version of Mephiston and I LOVE it. I will definitely be ordering one soon.

https://wargameexclu...ial-death-lord/
  • Waking Dreamer and Slan Drakkos like this

Ad Mech - 5,000 points

Blood Angels - 12,000 points

Dark Angels - 6,500 points

Deathwatch - 3,000 points

Eldar - 18,500 points

Imperial Fists - 5,000 points

Imperial Guard - 1,000 points

Grey Knights - 6,500 points

Sisters of Battle - 4,000 points

sockwithaticket

sockwithaticket

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,729 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Tears

Left arm and backpack spoil it.

Crimson Tears, Deathwatch and Inquisition WIP thread (most recent page):
http://www.bolterand...updated/page-28

Deathwatch Hall of Honour thread:
http://www.bolterand...maccrage/page-4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg

Slan Drakkos

Slan Drakkos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 371 posts
  • Faction: III and XVIII Legions

........then just replace them with something more fitting.

Why does it feel like the vast majority of comments regarding WGE consists of complaints?

Xwingt65

Xwingt65

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,396 posts
  • Faction: HH Hobby Bee.

Why does it feel like the vast majority of comments regarding WGE consists of complaints?

My guess is that their style is very marmite.
13.jpg

The 40k fluff explained to an outsider:

Some space elves got really into drugs and sex and a big scary monster got born that ate them.
A space wizard got beaten up by a guy who said he was his friend but wasn't and now he's on a life support machine and people worship him because he was super awesome.
Now there are giant men with rocket launcher machine guns and 4 hearts and are really super awesome who beat up everything.
Also there's a bunch of aliens but they don't really do anything and aren't as cool as the rocket machine gun super men, so who cares?

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,240 posts
  • Faction: Chaos and Tyranids.

Totally-Not-Mephiston looks surprisingly good. The sword is perhaps a bit ill-fitting (not bad, just doesn't look right with him) and the usual "World of Warhammercraft" aesthetic bleeds through a little but honestly it's one of the better ones they've done.

Probably because of divisive aesthetics with occasionally mushy sculpts (at least from the promos) on third party models, which are a controversial area for some. I don't mind their existence, and some of their models are cool, but I wouldn't use them as a part of my army for the sake of keeping it "GW safe" and simply because most of their output just doesn't do it for me. Ironically enough, some of the models I actually want to get just to paint for fun are their silly "Pinup" models just because of how daft (and in some cases cute) they are.

ztbmByp.png

I come here to discuss and find out about Warhammer 40,000 with people of every ethnicity, sexuality, country and yes, as sickening as it is, even Eldar players.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but monkeys do too, if they've got a gun." -Inquisitor Edmund Izzardos, on Jokaero.

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

sockwithaticket

sockwithaticket

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,729 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Tears

I already have a customised counts-as Mephiston for my chapter.

Those are not insignificant pieces of the model, for the price I wouldn't be prepared to need to replace bits of it.

Well, this is a discussion forum and 3rd party stuff is basically put up with an implicit 'would you buy this ahead of the official version?' comparison, so people tend to state their opinions with that in mind. That's probably why they draw more comment. As to why they seem to be mostly negative, well, that's down to the individuals, but a common thread seems to be not liking the aesthetic.design choices. 

• Slan Drakkos likes this

Crimson Tears, Deathwatch and Inquisition WIP thread (most recent page):
http://www.bolterand...updated/page-28

Deathwatch Hall of Honour thread:
http://www.bolterand...maccrage/page-4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,672 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company

Because quite frankly a lot of their stuff is either poorly sculpted in terms of scale (enough to make GW look accurate), the details are poor, or they're just... dumb. Like Necron with boobs.

That being said they have have some nice stuff. I think their Guard and Sisters of Battle models are very nice. I've used their corpse trophies on my Word Bearers along with their spell books. But when you compare them to even other 3rd party companies like Puppets War, Victoria Miniatures, and to an extent Anvil Industry they just look... amateur.
  • Panzer likes this

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Once again way too busy for my taste.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Skaorn

Skaorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 481 posts
Okay, I'll post my own "negative" view. I have problems with a lot of their models. It doesn't have to do with their modeling ability, though some I don't really care for just based on personal taste, they are really good. Now most of this will be using the Greater Good or Chaos as they're the models I look at most frequently.

If I have an army that is based around medium to heavy armor, that's what I'm looking to depict. I'm not going to buy a model that has most of their torso exposed cuz boobs. I'm mostly neutral on boob plate, with the exception that I know women who fight in armor and they have stated how uncomfortable it would be to fight in. I don't have any problem with the aesthetics though. Having only armored limbs on someone in a powered exoskeleton is just a bad idea and doesn't fit with the aesthetics I want with that type of army. Why would I have a squad of Firewarriors with a good amount of armor, except for one that is only wearing a Pulse rifle? I'd have no problem with this look in DE wytches, because it fits. I also don't really have a problem with suggestive IG guards women models as they have light armor. I buy models to use them in game, so just buying them as display pieces doesn't work for me. I also do laugh at the Kroot with boobs as nothing about the Kroot suggests mammal to me, but I have no problem with it otherwise.

Another thing I've noticed is that they do have several models that don't really fit into an army, at the very least, in the Greater Good line. Now I actually like the Vehicles they have but the dilemma with them is they'd be hard to use without homebrew rules, which is going to limit who will play you. Some of the others can be shoehorned in; like the assassin as an IoM assassin variant, the widows(?) as Aun'Va's guard, or pairing the hacker with sniper drones. The fact that I wouldn't be able to use some without homebrew rules makes me less likely to buy them.

This is not to say I dislike they're work. I like they're variant Crisis Suits, but the GW ones just remind me of Veritechs from Robotech, so I prefer them. I am considering buying their version of Abaddon though as I think it is really good, it keeps the army aesthetic, and I would be able to put it down on a table and use it. Some might look at this comment as very negative, but what I'm doing is stating to WGE what keeps me from buying their models. They don't have to pay any attention to my comments at all or they could look at it with others as a way to look for ideas on how they can improve in the future.
  • The Observer likes this
Obed was a sailor. He sailed the seven seas. He made love to the fish. He made love to the fish.
Spaceship Zero, Insmouth Look

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,941 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens
Alright folks, we're aiming for constructive discussion on the Bolter & Chaimsword. You all know this. The thing is, it doesn't have to be mindless positivity - we don't want that any more than we want kneejerk negativity. We expect people to provide a bit of rationale behind why they like or dislike something.

Secondly, if someone consistently "yucks on your yum" there's always the ignore function. You don't have to talk to everyone on the Internet all the time.

Finally, companies aren't going to please everyone. Their vision of 40k is going to conflict with our visions of 40k. It's inevitable. Every model out there has its haters, even the ones produced by GW.
  • Brother Chaplain Kage, Son of Carnelian, Reclusiarch Krieg and 1 other like this
Active Projects: The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.
Finished Projects: Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Getting the "Third Army" on the battlefield

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

Semirhagge

Semirhagge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Love what they do, it actually made me think I might want to play Tau. But I play at a G rated LGS so it would definitely be a no go. The models seem very gritty and GrimDark. And yes the curves are definitely an appeal to me. It’s so outlandish it’s an lure all its own. And while I CANNOT wait for official Sororitas, I may still pick up a unit of these sisters to mix in with the official stuff. Boob Armour, being realistic or not has no bearing in a sci-fi world. Anyways I just purchased the Death Lord Mephy of the Not Mephiston and the Imperial Assassin. So I’ll have pics soonish if anyone’s interested.
  • UnkyHamHam likes this

TheFinisher4Ever

TheFinisher4Ever

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 538 posts
Lots of new realeases lately from WGE.

First up, they just released a new chaos Terminator Lord. https://wargameexclu...conqueror-lord/

They also put up some alternate pg-13 rated Repentia https://wargameexclu...ntium-squad-5u/

They also put up some less fan service-y regular battle sisters https://wargameexclu...ackpack-set-5u/

Edited by TheFinisher4Ever, 14 September 2018 - 03:51 PM.

• Emicus likes this

Ad Mech - 5,000 points

Blood Angels - 12,000 points

Dark Angels - 6,500 points

Deathwatch - 3,000 points

Eldar - 18,500 points

Imperial Fists - 5,000 points

Imperial Guard - 1,000 points

Grey Knights - 6,500 points

Sisters of Battle - 4,000 points

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,033 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
not-Belial/Azrael is up!
https://wargameexclu...ial-angel-lord/

I gotta say, lower the left arm into a shooting pose and we're talking. Love how over the top the "Dark Angel" stuff is.

There's also not-Curze:
https://wargameexclu...d-of-the-night/

and a CSM Sorcerer:
https://wargameexclu...os-warp-caster/

Edited by Reclusiarch Krieg, 05 November 2018 - 06:44 PM.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Same criticism as always from me. I think I'll stop posting here until I have something new to say. :P

• The Blood Raven and Reclusiarch Krieg like this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Waking Dreamer

Waking Dreamer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,044 posts

I just checked out their website tonight, looks like they are having their new year's sale. Discount of 19% on all their items! Orders over 200 Euro have free shipping.

https://wargameexclu...battle-sisters/

Just did a quick wishlist price-check on say doing an entire SoB army from their range (which admittedly is the most comprehensive range out there so far) except for vehicles, and it's definitely tempting. 19% off an entire army you are thinking of starting from scratch isn't a half-bad incentive. I currently have no SoB models, so consistency in model design issues are basically zero for me.

Edited by Waking Dreamer, 02 January 2019 - 11:03 PM.

BJyntGN.pngOOq4org.png

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,262 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

Um, sorry to break it to you but it finishes today - 2nd Jan, not 1st Feb. 

gallery_48988_15465_8206.pnggallery_53969_15812_3395.gifgallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

HandsWithLegs

HandsWithLegs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 289 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

I really want to like that not-Azrial model but good lord that backpack is way too much. Those wings and the thing in the middle make him look like he's going to tip backwards, and I can usually suspend my disbelief with that kind of thing. 

gallery_48988_15465_43209.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users