Traitors of Hive Secundus

sarabando

thanks all :)

I watched IT last night so only got about 20 mins painting time before going to bed, and my phone died before i could take some photos, i have added some more colour to the walking drone and have realised how many spots ive missed even with primer XD.

I shall take some photos tonight.

Mate, these are looking awesome. Loving the drone, that OSL is actually really good - subtle and restrained, it creates the effect of a dull, sickly glow. If you wanted to brighten it, which personally I don't think it needs, the first step would be the brighten the actual source of light itself up to white, probably graduated with a pale yellow along the way. Some thin yellow glazes on the surrounding surfaces would also make it appear to be casting a brighter light - I typically find that inks are very useful for creating OSL effects as the intensity of the pigment allows you to dilute them right down and still make a noticeable effect over multiple glazes.

The lord looks great, personally I think I prefer the combi bolter, but I'm a fan of ignoring the WYSIWYG nazis, so you do you. 

My objection to the axe is not the actual weapon itself, but that it seems to cut across the strong visual flow the model otherwise has. I took the liberty of trying illustrate what I meant, hopefully it makes some sort of sense. I think if you changed the angle at which the axe is held to be more in line with the model, it would work better. Changing to a mid-haft grip rather than a 'hilt' grip would make the weapon balanced in the adjusted angle. The alternative would be to use a spot colour to draw the eye to the axe at its current angle and tie it into the rest of the model in a triangle that frames the head - such as a glowing power axe, glowing lightning claws and a glowing demonic eye on the icon the lord carries - you may not want to add a new spot colour like this though since your colour scheme is so muted and restrained at the moment.

dbHqlKil.jpg

Just some ramblings, but I look forward to seeing more of your excellent models. 

Some more updates

EFOhDII.jpg

Defined the fly with some black mixed with a green wash.

FSksPmB.jpg

Added some texture to the tenticles and also sponged on some lighter red to the tank and also some silver chipping all over but its not showing in most places.

utikKNu.jpg

5j5xxGt.jpg

7MrCd4h.jpg

cnxZZOz.jpg

drybrushed the corpes a few times from brown up to off white (it went purple for some reason i think the brown im using) then washed a few of the bodyies green.

fU8BEMa.jpg

washed the first Flamer Havoc and added some copper esq colour

dj4mCJn.jpg

started on the axe.

ewTN6Y2.jpg

Everything looks amazing! I vote no on the checkered shoulder pad, I think it'll be a bit too much.

Why not magnetise the weapons on the Lord btw? Best of both worlds:)

Thanks i have painted the pad black for the time being, and i cant magnatise the model as i dont know how and dont own any magnets. update with some pics in a bit.

My two cents on the combi weapon is that there is a jarring juxtaposition between the ancient and heavily corrupted suit of armor and the sleek, clean almost modern lines of the weapon. If the casing was painted in a similar texture as the armor that may help, or if you used gs to add some wooden texture to the casing like other Death Guard mimis that may help tie the model together.

update with new pics that you havent seen 100 times ....just 30 or so.

picked up a new gree so i can save time not mixing strachen grren and bone for the mid tone stripes.

X4d4LWt.jpg

Z2KxIkT.jpg

abjpha8.jpg

glossed and matt varnished the Termie lord and added his axe. When i can get one il make a nurgling familiar to carry his combi bolter.

MPOFG8w.jpg

tm9mizP.jpg

id love to pick up some of the new DG models but £15 for single models i just too much for me so i shall split another DI box with a club mate and go crazy on conversion.

Ace paintwork here, big fan of the checkerboard patterns.

I love the old 2nd and 3rd edition stylings especially GWs old Red phase so im trying to bring a little of that to each mini but with a worn and dirtier look.

The level of detail with your painting is crazy, loving everything you have done so far!

Il try and get another marine done tonight and maybe get building on some more bits.

got home much later than expected last night so no painting but did start on a kit ove had for a while and not touched.

0GWG77S.jpg

BkGOSyc.jpg

The head is from the warriors of chaos with the horns shaved off and one placed on his forhead.

Will be adding damaged and bloat when the unit is built

VHCuGhY.jpg

he dominates a guardsman.

well he is still taller than the sorcerer but that guy is standing up straight.

muIXVKA.jpg

9u3DmUj.jpg

Ok this is getting rediculous how are we supposed to menace now? we are the body guard of our lord and we look like midgets.

eKcN73Y.jpg

son of a ...

Archived