Wolf Guard Terminators gear

Fahlnor

I was just working my way through Arjac Rockfist and his five shield brothers (five th/ss Terminators) as 7th wound into 8th and now find myself wondering whether the previously ubiquitous th/ss loadout is still worth taking on Terminators.

What are your thoughts and experiences in equipping these guys?

In general, I would say TH/SS TDA are not worth it. If you want an assault only unit, I'd use wulfen every time. Faster movement, 5+FNP, death frenzy, reroll charges, more base attacks...yeah, just overall better.

Where TDA excels is deep striking in the middle of the field, then marching them around with a mix of shooting and assault. I'd give the packleader a TH/Combi-Melta, then the others SS/SB x2, WC/SB, and WC/AssCan. Add a RP in RTDA giving them all cover, and they can take a fair amount of punishment from a lot of different sources, taking the heat off some of your more squishy units.

OTOH, I could see having some fun giving them all combi-flamers except 1 with a heavy flamer...advancing around and still auto-hitting sounds like loads of fun :) Still probably more effective using the new primaris models with the flaming gauntlets, however.

Edited by Gherrick

I Currently have the pack leader with a SS/TH to use his extra attacks. then one ass cannon with wolf claw. then depending on the army I am facing either  the double wolf claw set up or a mixture of claws and combi's and plain SB's.  If going against more of a shooty army I put in an extra storm shield to help with the +3 saves. 

The Thunder hammer is good if you are going up against primaris marines as each wound you get can kill one.

• 2 weeks later...

In general, I would say TH/SS TDA are not worth it. If you want an assault only unit, I'd use wulfen every time. Faster movement, 5+FNP, death frenzy, reroll charges, more base attacks...yeah, just overall better.

Where TDA excels is deep striking in the middle of the field, then marching them around with a mix of shooting and assault. I'd give the packleader a TH/Combi-Melta, then the others SS/SB x2, WC/SB, and WC/AssCan. Add a RP in RTDA giving them all cover, and they can take a fair amount of punishment from a lot of different sources, taking the heat off some of your more squishy units.

OTOH, I could see having some fun giving them all combi-flamers except 1 with a heavy flamer...advancing around and still auto-hitting sounds like loads of fun :smile.: Still probably more effective using the new primaris models with the flaming gauntlets, however.

Is it legal to get a terminator with Storm Bolter and Storm Shield?  The index states that you may replace your storm bolter with a storm shield.  Doesn't appear you can take it into conjunction or am I missing something?  I'm new to Space Wolves myself and am in the process of getting commissions done on my Terminators.  

OTOH, I could see having some fun giving them all combi-flamers except 1 with a heavy flamer...advancing around and still auto-hitting sounds like loads of fun :smile.: Still probably more effective using the new primaris models with the flaming gauntlets, however.

Is it legal to get a terminator with Storm Bolter and Storm Shield?  The index states that you may replace your storm bolter with a storm shield.  Doesn't appear you can take it into conjunction or am I missing something?  I'm new to Space Wolves myself and am in the process of getting commissions done on my Terminators.  

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/40K_8th_ed_Update_Index_Imperium_1_ver_1.1.pdf

There was a recent FAQ that basically gave WG terminators that expanded the options a WG can take.

Answer your question, yes, can take a Storm bolter and Stormshield. 

I equip mine with two TH/two combi melta and the rest are all frost axe/storm bolter. I use them for anti armor. My Wulfen are the assault options in my lists and they do that role far better than termis. My shooty termis are a must have in the meta I play in with so many vehicles and high wound/high toughness models.

The guy i play against has taken to a  SS/TH terminator pack to kill bjorn now with an ancient for hit rerolls that is a though unit to crack without smite. 

Even with the -1 to hit, TH/SS terminators are still deadlly and not to be underestimated. But don't sink too much into them especially against psyker heavy armies.

Worth noting as well that Arjac gives them all an additional attack and allows them to reroll wound rolls. The additional attack is a flat 50% damage boost to the unit for an additional 50% cost - but then also adds rerolls to wound plus Arjac's own output on top.

Hopefully with CP, the terminators will make it into combat. Otherwise you may have to drop pod Ragnar Blackmane nearby as well to get reroll charges.

Actually if we're REALLY going to invest into TH/SS terminators, may as well add in a wolf priest for rerolls and heals. 

Well, I mention Arjac specifically because I was putting together Arjac and his Shield Brothers, so I'd be planning on running them together. To put them on the table, I think I'd probably run a Land Raider of some sort to get them where they're needed. Again, because it was part of the formation anyway. :)

I was planning on trying 2 squads of TDA. One with 3 or 4 combi plasmas and heavy on storm shields, one more Assault loaded with Storm bolters and light on storm shields. Probably only a few TH/SS with more claws and frost throughout both squads. Drop them in with Arjac and a wolf lord or even Logan. Lots of rerolls to hit and wound, plasmas to take out hard targets, storm bolters for the chaff protecting the hard targets. Lots of shooting, lots of CC to respond to units assaulting with no need to assault, mitigating the slow movement. Lots of points, but when you start throwing in land raiders and/or other characters the points climb as well. Need at least 4 other units to deep strike the lot. Mobile units like bikers, or troops in transports, hiding behind LOS blocking terrain, or TH/SS wolfen seem like a good fit. Maybe fit it all in a double vanguard detachment if taking the eliet option. Sounds fun, but no psyker deffens if that's big in your meta.

A WP definitely synergizes well with ASB. I'd probably give the WP a jump pack instead of TDA for better maneuvering.

Actually, I had been thinking the Wolf Priest buff wasn't quite so good because it only affected melted attacks. Of course, this unit has no shooting attacks, so I'm not sure why I was getting so wound up!