Imperial Navy Grunt -Color scheme- feedback Req

MithrilForge

O.K. here is a test scheme for a squad i'm working on to go with my guard army, they will represent some Imperial Navy grunts from Cadia that are from a naval fleet that got away from Cadia and are now playing the role of supporting ground elements with extra troops,vehicles - tanks and Taurox's and also Heavy Tanks :wink: and Valkyries. (In my mind i had the idea like Battlestar Gallactica a fleet of ragtag group of ships with mixed equipment doing the best they can...

All the Vehicles will be painted generically in ThunderHawk Blue as a standard kinda like all WW II vehicles were Olive Drab :cool.: this works for me as i have not painted any vehicles for my guard so this helps break the boredom of painting a new colour so i stay enthused :thumbsup:

the troops are in standard armed forces Fatigues(Deathworld forest to help tie them in to my main force's uniform) but the armor is Naval fleet issue so i'm going with a blue colour (ThunderHawk Blue) it's not contrasting but will be what they call Accented Analogous ..see below for my colour selection.

Lenses on Helms,weapons,Vehicle screens etc will be Red as the contrast to the middle colour, pouches will be leather look and rifles will either be all gunmetal or have Black casings...not sure on that one?...feedback may be needed to tweak that idea ...

officers that have little or no armor will be dressed in Dark Blue Coats to stand out from standard troops...haven't thought that far ahead yet...

gallery_9146_7882_17784.jpg

this is the basic scheme, the green will be highlighted up to be a bit brighter and the armor will be highlighted too...whats the best highlight colour for thunderhawk blue?...i was thinking the extreme spot highlight will be screaming skull but i'm kinda stuck on the middle highlight colour?!?... C&C please :sweat:

med_gallery_9146_7882_255866.jpg med_gallery_9146_7882_131355.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

The color scheme is somewhat unusual, but in a good way. I quite like it. Only thing you may want to try is painting the blue onto the piping on the jacket. It'll break up the field of green from waist to ankle. I look forward to seeing more.

Edit: ooh, I just realized, you may even want to play up the irregularity of your troops being a ragtag collection of troops. Maybe play with some troops having mixed fatigues or repurposed armor in a complimentary color here and there.

Edited by Kinstryfe

Scheme looks good, I'm not sure on a highlight colour though. Ice Blue (or whatever it's called now) would probably be a bit too bright?

On the flip side, looks like I've finally found a highlight colour for Eshin Grey in Thunderhawk Blue ;)

Have you considered Grey fatigues? It would would tie in very nicely with the Blue.

You could add a vertical Green stripe or emblem to one of the shoulders maybe?

Great call guys...but i tried that already...he's swimming in simple green as we speak :sweat: although i haven't discounted the idea on officers yet :happy.:  perhaps i didn't have the right grey...

the green will suffice for base level infantry but more testing will be conducted for Sgt at arms and above :cool.: 

in response to warriorfish, -  i looked at the GW Blues in a google search to find ice blue and found that maybe Fenrisian Grey may be the one to test out for a highlight...

thanks for the advice and feedback guys!

cheers, Mithril 

• 2 weeks later...

here is a small update -

finished the left guy,just needs basing. the right guy is WiP and has the Victoria mini's cap head (i think i got unlucky in the ones she sent...lots of flash and mold on the sides of the heads,had to do scraping and filing to clean em up...not happy with their look :unsure.: but from a distance they are acceptable) might test out Mad robot imperial heads next...

And of course....my ShadowSword...very slowly it's coming along...!

med_gallery_9146_7882_1205963.jpg

med_gallery_9146_7882_1271093.jpg

med_gallery_9146_7882_965315.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

@Duz... :biggrin.: it's got a long way to go, as you would know !!.Also Duz should I paint the barrel blue too ?... still up in the air on that :rolleyes: 

@ Henimann - the heads drop straight on without trimming,if anything i'd say they were thinner in the face which is completely understandable as they're not wearing a thick helmet.

i'm awaiting an order of Mad Robot imperial heads...if they're better quality then i'll reserve those for Veterans and use the vic mini's ones for Grunt Sgt's,vox operators,spec wpns etc

I gotta say I am a little disappointed with the vic mini heads (well this batch in particular,because other stuff I've got from her has been top notch :mellow.: ...  anyways...

cheers, Mithril

Well I'm biased and I like to paint my barrels.

Looking at the 6 BB commission I was part of everyone there also painted the barrels even though we were not given any specific instruction to do so.

Its a big barrel for all that metal and painting it shows respect to the Machine God.

So I'd go with yes but just these areas

gallery_87434_11578_11187.jpg

Id keep that little gold / bronze bracing at the beginning of the barrel metallic too

Edited by duz_

Thanks man :thumbsup:  that's the advice i was looking for...Lets see how it looks after the first stage you've shown here...

gee initially i didn't realise the amount of rivets and panels i had to ink on this beast :ohmy.: doing on side is feeling like i'm doing a whole Leman Russ.

Also... where do people generally put numbers and names etc?...

Mithril