Explain Strike from the Shadows

Gulltramarine

I'm only new here, but I've noticed a lot of SFTS talk in the Raven Guard forums. I still haven't used it but, then again, I don't run any terminators or units that could typically take full advantage of it. Could anyone outline good approaches with it that don't require:

1: Assault Termies or Centurions

or

2: going first?

Edited by Gulltramarine

If you don't plan on, or can't get first turn, there are times where SFtS won't be a good idea.

Otherwise, units that you want to draw a lot of fire, like shooty terminators might be a good idea, or, anything with ObSec for grabbing as many early objectives as possible, as long as they are fairly survivable.

I've used SftS most when I am not going first, specifically splitting the field for my opponent to deal with. or to place scouts up close and force the opponent to move through the speed bump. It's as useful defensively as it is offensive, and really allows you to make total use of your battlefield terrain to your advantage. Think of it not as a method for getting your shots where you want them, but as a method for getting the battle to move the way you want to. It's far more powerful that way, because no amount of dice can counter good tactics.

I don't think you need to SftS scouts since they'll infiltrate on their own, no?

Correct. I should have said Tac Squads, as I usually stagger them with scouts.

One of these days I'll learn to post something without putting my foot in my mouth.

Does SFtS Count as moving like other deepstrikes/reserves?

No it does not.  

I thought of a cute sfts move.  

So currently I've got 5 assault terminators with THSSs, 5 melta vets, and a land raider crusader.  In my last game I had the terminators and vets inside the crusader to start the game.  Here is an idea im going to use in my coming games.  The vets and the terminators will start in sfts reserves and the land raider is going to be aggressively deployed.  If I get first turn and have an opening.. the terminators and/or vets will deploy to setup a first turn charge or melta hit.  If i dont get first turn they will deploy behind the LHC out of line of sight then just embark on my first turn.  

This is obviously not something to use against armies that are likely to charge first turn or armies that can shoot without LOS.

Well the advantage of strike from the shadows is you know who is going first so you can place the models accordingly.  If your not going first place your stuff into spots that cant be charged by your opponent but threaten charges on your first turn if he moves up.