Slaanesh base themes

Sume

Hello.

I started to put together and paint some daemonettes.  I have 20 daemonettes, 5 seekers, 1 seeker chariot, and 2 daemon princes.  I decided to start with the chariot first as its one of my favorite models.

Now I am at a loss on trying to base it.  I am not sure what to do.  I normally make my own bases out of things like cork, sand, little rocks and stuff.

I am tempted by lava bases, but I dont know if thats fitting for slaanesh or even maybe snow bases.

If it helps I am painting mine so far the pale purple you seen the gw studio army.

Thanks all.

Starting with line troopers is a better idea if you're looking to potentially experiment with bases - that's a lot of base to redo if you don't like it! The purple classic scheme should be flexible for basing, not that schemes usually exclude anything directly!

Lava would be cool, but perhaps feels more Khorne? I think a snow base would complement the purple and provide a nice contrast, so that's what I'd go for :thumbsup:

I'm doing lava bases for my Khorne, same for Tzeentch except the lava is some sort of blue magic thingy and for Nurgle its obviously putrid green slime or something like that. The rocks/sand will be black obsidian for everyone to tie them together. Haven't figured Slaanesh out yet but it has to be the same technique.

I am thinking you guys are right about lava bases.  It seems more of a khorne look and possibly Tzeentch.  Slaanesh is the only one of the 4 that I think is the hardest to figure out right.  Looking around I seen all sorts of suggestions that results in the 12 year old boy toilet humor.  

Since I have not glued the chariot in yet, as its easier to paint this model with sub assemblies.  I will mess around with some scrap and older bases before coming up with an idea.

Slate bases, with some sand should work well.  I am thinking starting from a black base coat, with some layers of grey on it.  Then sprinkle snow around.  That should contrast nicely and help the models pop.

I am open to any helpful suggestion and look forward to showing pictures.  When I can.

Thanks

I based mine using Eldar "ruins". I basically got some plaster a paris, mixed it and poured into a shallow cling wrap plate. Let it start to set and you can either press or carve in Eldar symbols. Let it set completely and break off pieces as needs. You can dry brush  and wash it as needed. You can even use cut up Eldar Guardians paint like marble for broken statues. 

As my army is modelled rampaging across an Eldar maiden world some are based as if fighting in ruins:

med_gallery_63428_9407_386141.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_91019.jpg

-the soul stone under his foot is simply a cheap jewelry piece from the 100yen store.

med_gallery_63428_9407_118897.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_296414.jpeg

And some as if fighting on grassland that is dying beneath their tread:

med_gallery_63428_9407_104486.jpg

The latter idea I got from a Tzeentch daemon army I saw in which the maker had modelled grass withering in a wave before his screamers. In the case of a Nurgle army you could really go heavy on the corruption but I felt blackening of the grass was subtle and sufficient.

For me, basing themes come not only from the colour scheme of the army but also who I'm modelling them as fighting (which also dictates the largest portion of visible trophies ;) ).

I based mine using Eldar "ruins". I basically got some plaster a paris, mixed it and poured into a shallow cling wrap plate. Let it start to set and you can either press or carve in Eldar symbols. Let it set completely and break off pieces as needs. You can dry brush  and wash it as needed. You can even use cut up Eldar Guardians paint like marble for broken statues. 

Sersi,

Do you happen to have pictures of that?  I would really like to see.

Kierdale.

Those look really nice.  How did you get that bone dust color.  I know I recently started checking out and looking at aquarium stuff, and craft stuff around Michael's for ideas. 

DreamIsCollapsing,

I really like those bases.  How did you do that squiggly stuff.  I really like it.

Sadly as of last night.  I am going to put purchasing any new basing materials for a few months.  I took a friend to Wal-Mart and on the way back, ended up to find the only piece of shrapnel in a well travel road.  4 a.m. and with something that blended right into the asphalt I took out my driver side tires.  That was not a bill I welcomed.  At least I did need new tires, but not this soon.  They where due to all be replaced in two months.  The great news is no one was hurt, the car is safe, and fixed.

I'm very sorry to hear about your accident! You're well though, and that's most important.

I use cheap craft store acrylics for terrain and basing to keep costs down. I can give you the make and paint names when I'm home next if you like but the colours are basically a dull, light brown basecoat, then a drybrush of a tan/sandy colour and a final, lighter drybrush of a light beige. Simple and quick.

Thanks for the color theme. That's also why I use cheap Wal-Mart acrylics on bases. Helps keep the cost down and I haven't really noticed a difference in quality when painting that over rocks and sand. Now on actual models I can tell the difference really well.

Oh it's those ones. I really liked bunch of the bases I found on that site.

I am going to try and get a picture of the base idea I am going with. Used some cut up cork board as rocky areas, distress crackle paint and then some sand in the cracks.

I am going with a parched desert sort of theme. I am hoping that it will not take away from the purples on the daemons.

I'm doing lava bases for my Khorne, same for Tzeentch except the lava is some sort of blue magic thingy and for Nurgle its obviously putrid green slime or something like that. The rocks/sand will be black obsidian for everyone to tie them together. Haven't figured Slaanesh out yet but it has to be the same technique.

Body fluids for the pleasure god!

How about replacing the lava with some sort of creamy white slime, perhaps flecked with blood for added fun. Water effects mixed with a little paint of the appropriate colour, then gently stir in a few spots of blood for the blood god whilst everything is still wet. Watching the last few minutes of Nekromantik should give you plenty of inspiration. ;-)

Well I ended up ripping off the cork as it just didn't fit well.

Used distress crackle paint. Added some sand I picked up at the beach in Newport, Oregon yesterday. Painted a light brown, and ended up dry brushing some karak stone and ushabti bone. After that I used some agrax earthshade, nulin oil in the cracks.

Glued the chariot on. Added some desert tufts from army painter. I like the look. Not distracting or taking away from the model.

I should have a few pictures after work to show how it went.

Lovely colours on the model as well, I think it looks very nice and they work well together :tu: For the larger bases like this might be worth a few extras on the base, maybe some rocks or skulls and extra grass? I'm getting the skulls set for just such things :)

Thanks.  I agree this large base needs something more.  I am going to add more of the grass I think.  I also ordered the masque and the skull kit.  I am sure I can fill it up with some skulls and grass.  

Originally I was going to use cut up cork board as some rocky areas.  It turned to look really bad.  So I took it off.  Added sand where it was.  Why that one side has a lot of sand.

Archived