T'au 8th Ed. Wishlisting

Skaorn

It's hard to think of something that would make multi tracker work - if anything id go the other way but with a bigger bonus. maybe +1 to hit as long as each weapon on the model shoots a different unit, maybe then id be tempted but it would be horrible to administrate

+1 to hit squads with 5+?
That would be decent on a stormsurge, riptide or broadsides, depending on cost of it probably still not worth it for crisis suits compared to just another weapon, considering most weapons you shoot at units of 5+ are likely to be quite cheap anyway

Edit: I guess that's the problem with it in general, a buff to shooting light stuff can't compete with another gun, still better than the buff it has now which is virtually obselete lol

To be fair few things are better than taking an additional weapon so I wouldn't really judge support systems with Crisis in mind too much. I'd also love such a support system on Stealth Suits though. :tongue.:

It's hard to think of something that would make multi tracker work - if anything id go the other way but with a bigger bonus. maybe +1 to hit as long as each weapon on the model shoots a different unit, maybe then id be tempted but it would be horrible to administrate

That would be decent on a stormsurge, riptide or broadsides, depending on cost of it probably still not worth it for crisis suits compared to just another weapon, considering most weapons you shoot at units of 5+ are likely to be quite cheap anyway

Edit: I guess that's the problem with it in general, a buff to shooting light stuff can't compete with another gun, still better than the buff it has now which is virtually obselete lol

To be fair few things are better than taking an additional weapon so I wouldn't really judge support systems with Crisis in mind too much. I'd also love such a support system on Stealth Suits though. :tongue.:

YA, didnt even think of that. that would be awesome for stealth suits popping up mowing down hordes

I'd honestly never take either the Fusion Blades nor the Gauntlet with those rules. Hoping on a 4+ is just terrible. Way too unreliable. If you bring your Commander into melee you don't want a 50% risk of him simply doing nothing. I take the two attacks hitting on 3+ of the current Fusion Blades any day of the week, thanks.

Multi-tracker is bad, yes. It was bad before and then GW nerfed it even further. Not sure why it would get better when there are more targets in your version though. Doesn't make much sense.

On average they would do more than they do now but they could spike up to massive damage which far better fits the background for these items. The current average number of hits with an Onager Gauntlet is 2/3, with my suggested rule it would be 15/16 unmodified and considerably more with access to re-rolls. The average Fusion Blades hits with my suggested rule is not hugely increased unless you take the FSE warlord trait in which case it is possibly rather OP - but why would you ever not take Hero of the Enclaves on a Fusion Blades commander unless you are running The Eight (and Brighsword usually has reroll 1's in The Eight).

I wrote multi-tracker to give it some sort of role - the role of anti-horde. I think that was in some way the intention of the GW rules but boy did they miss the mark, it is almost completely just a waste of points and a system slot as currently written. A full re-roll to hit is a pretty big deal for Tau and usually only possible when stationary once (or with Shadowsun twice) per game in a limited radius. Pop that on a unit of Hazard suits with full BC and I think it would out-perform ATS against most horde units, while the ATS would be superior against smaller elite units. A system that is conditionally good is to my mind a good design for a system.

If we are just in fantasy land of rules that are never going to happen:

Onager Gauntlet S10 AP-4 D(D6) Subtract 1 from hit rolls with this weapon, if an attack with this weapon misses it may not be used for the remainder of the current fight phase.

Fusion Blades (melee profile) S8 AP-4 D(D6) If an attack with this weapon misses it may not be used for the remainder of the current fight phase.

With both of the above I want those dice rolls to matter and for my opponent to sweat it when a commander equipped with one of those starts swinging.

So, you're saying each weapon starts with the default 4 attacks but the player has to roll them one by one. On a 4+ (after -1 to hit), they get to attack again with the relic, but if they miss that's it - no more attacks with it?

Yes the idea would be that instead of having a flat one attack you keep attacking with it until you miss. That gets too good on the Onager Gauntlet so I applied a -1 to hit to bring it back down into the realms of sane melee weapons. 

I did the maths. On average it is a bit better than the current rules but if you build around it with rerolls (from the FSE warlord trait or from Farsight being nearby) it can get very nasty with either of those weapons. Very nasty. 

I'd honestly never take either the Fusion Blades nor the Gauntlet with those rules. Hoping on a 4+ is just terrible. Way too unreliable. If you bring your Commander into melee you don't want a 50% risk of him simply doing nothing. I take the two attacks hitting on 3+ of the current Fusion Blades any day of the week, thanks.

Multi-tracker is bad, yes. It was bad before and then GW nerfed it even further. Not sure why it would get better when there are more targets in your version though. Doesn't make much sense.

On average they would do more than they do now but they could spike up to massive damage which far better fits the background for these items. The current average number of hits with an Onager Gauntlet is 2/3, with my suggested rule it would be 15/16 unmodified and considerably more with access to re-rolls. The average Fusion Blades hits with my suggested rule is not hugely increased unless you take the FSE warlord trait in which case it is possibly rather OP - but why would you ever not take Hero of the Enclaves on a Fusion Blades commander unless you are running The Eight (and Brighsword usually has reroll 1's in The Eight).

Or simply do nothing which would be horrible. Swingy weapons are neither fun nor good designed. Especially not if it's a relic on your Commander who would do a lot more and more reliably at range without putting himself at so much risk.

Also with your suggested rule the average number of hits would definitely not be 15/16 with the Onager Gauntlets. The Commander has a 50% chance of hitting with it and according to your rule he can't use his other attacks to balance a missed attack out because it 'burns out' for that phase if you miss. So you'd always end up with an average of 50% and less. Not to mention that T'au don't have any re-rolls in melee unless you play FSE and take the according trait and only in the first round then.

hmm, whats the lore behind the Multi-tracker?

has it ever been used defensivly?

if squads of 10+ models are attack you, you gain -1 to hit?

That would be worth considering then!

If going in a new direction what about ignoring penalties to hit affecting a target unit (so can't ignore the penalty for you moving and firing a heavy for example but can ignore the -1 a flyer has)? Or even just the 1st -1. I would take that in a heartbeat as I think the hardest thing for tau is to hit penalties

Been thinking about this one since tau first came out...

The thing id most like for tau is for pathfinders to actually act as a fast attack unit. I mean, they're called pathfinders, they're fast attack and all modelled lime vamguarding infantry

What I'm thinking is dropping the carbine AND markerlight from their wargear and replacing it with "pulse carbine with integrated markerlight"

Bit of a mouthful maybe, but basically a pulse carbine profile with the markerlight rule at the same time.

Not so much so they can fire both, which is a bit of a trap benefit since the markerlights only go on what the carbines shoot at and generally you want markerlights on things that carbines don't do much damage to (like land raiders), or the carbines do well and half kill the unit anyway.

What it would do is give them assault 2 at 18" instead of heavy 1 at 36". So half the range but double the shots. It would synergies really well with their vanguard move and viorla. 10 pathfinders landing 10 markerlights would be deadly.

It'd distinguish them more from marker drones and make them such a priority target (and a vulnerable one) that you might even see a few more Devilfish carrying them around which would be nice too. I'd really like the idea of these guys running up real close, hiding in the bushes to lay down a torrent of markerlights, seems to fit the the tau 'fast and short range' theme and actually play well to it

The biggest problem of Pathfinder is survivability to be honest. With their scout move and M7 they are mobile enough and having a Markerlight per model is usually enough, but while irl a unit like Pathfinders would use terrain to hide and avoid opponents that's something that's simply not possible with the current terrain rules unfortunately. So what I'd like to see the most for Pathfinders would be either proper terrain rules (a not Pathfinder specific change) or a special rule that gives them additional benefits when in cover like gaining +2 to saves (like the Firesight Marksman) or a -1 to-hit on top of the cover bonus.

The biggest problem of Pathfinder is survivability to be honest. With their scout move and M7 they are mobile enough and having a Markerlight per model is usually enough, but while irl a unit like Pathfinders would use terrain to hide and avoid opponents that's something that's simply not possible with the current terrain rules unfortunately. So what I'd like to see the most for Pathfinders would be either proper terrain rules (a not Pathfinder specific change) or a special rule that gives them additional benefits when in cover like gaining +2 to saves (like the Firesight Marksman) or a -1 to-hit on top of the cover bonus.

give them the option to either take a recon drone, or one of the drones from the ghostkeel? that gives -1 to hit and makes cover count as +2?

give them the option to either take a recon drone, or one of the drones from the ghostkeel? that gives -1 to hit and makes cover count as +2?

That would be cool for them, whilst they're very fragile, they're also cheap and personally I wouldn't want a defence buff if it came with a points hike and less potential shots - an optional drone would work really well for giving that option

Archived