Alternate Play Styles for Ultramarines

PaddyG

Hey guys, just wanting some feedback on how you switch up your lists to keep things fresh and move forward in your list building.

Right now, I'm having trouble moving away from a lascannon/ML gunline with my Ultras (I am a fairly new player so cut me a little slack!). The bonuses from captain and lieutenant are just too good to pass up, and sticking a banner of emperor ascendant next to my devastator squads allows for nearly guaranteed firing, even going second. On top of that I keep an apothecary nearby to heal up those heavy weapons, he easily doubles or triples his cost in revivals every game.

I then use a single unit of scouts (speedbump unit), and two 5 man flamer tacticals in razorbacks. They deny deep-striking early, then wait until turn 3 to move out and remove enemy infantry from objectives.

It's been working great, and is a relatively easy list to run. The ultramarines chapter tactics have been a god-send against first turn charge shenanigans. 

Long-mid range shooting seems to be ultramarines strongest point, and I will be moving my list from 1000-1500 points for a tournament. I plan on adding more firepower and proportionate screening, with a unit of shooty terminators to be my fun, flex unit. I enjoy every game, but I want to start broadening my horizons as a space marine player!

After playing my friends, I can't help but feel that I at least owe it to my gaming group to start using some more varied lists. I have some in mind, however I was wondering if I might draw from the experience of people here to find some inspiration for list-building. Have you had much success with a more mobile list, or melee focused builds? What units do you add for fun, or as a challenge to yourselves?

Thanks.

If an Ultramarines army concentrates on long range play then you run the risk of coming up against Tau or Astra Millitarum. That can be terminal.

I am favouring having a fire base, a mid range force and an attack force at various points levels.

Fire bases consist of a Devastator squad or 2 and a Venerable Dreadnought with lascannon and missile launcher, supported by a Lieutenant.

The mid field consists of a couple Tactical squads (Rhinos included) as my core but also my Contemptor(s) and Sternguard in Rhino. These units double up as additional attacking elements to support my Terminators when they come in, or defend the fire base as needed. Personal preference comes from a Captain with the Sternguard and a Cataphractii Captain with the Terminators.

The point of my list is I can do quite a lot on the table, especially with Maelstrom of War games since we've found those games in our group most interesting and balanced. This flexibility also means I can take the lists to tournaments and not be blown away.

As other armies get Codex books, a more tactical play might do you well as standing at the back shooting is paper rock scissors.

Obviously the best way to play UM is 3 Las Mortis contemptors, 3 grav bombard leviathans, Roboute, and a obligatory hq/techmarine in a spearhead.

Or Razorbacks, Preds, The Primarch, a stormraven and/or Land Raider with Chronus in a Spearhead.

Though, the flamer/combiflamer tacticals is my go to for a screening unit for Razorbacks - run them up ahead when the enemy gets closer to soak a charge or act as a speed bump, and maybe get an extra turn of Assault Cannon death.

Im having a hard time justifying, say, a las Devastator squad at 165 points for five squishy marine bodies, when for 25 more points you can get the more survivable Predator. What have your experiences been, Idaho?

I take 6 man squads with missile launchers (if points allow) and an Armourium Cherub for 178/183pts. If I take 2 squads in my 2000pts games + then I'll have 2 lascannon and 2 missile launchers in each. They are vulnerable to fire at first glance but often the game hinges on objectives with Maelstrom of War and I use my other units to put pressure on opponents. When there are 40+ Marines and Dreadnoughts coming for you in Rapid Fire Range, taking objectives and Terminators teleporting in, the Devastator squads get left alone.

It's not perfect but it works fine.

The benefits of said squads is they don't degrade from 2 Lascannon hits and can take advantage of Cover for a 2+ save. Additionally,with the Signum and Cherub the squad gets decent firepower and lastly missile launchers use the Flakk missile Strategum which is really nice.

You might look into Primaris. They do not really have long ranged options like Devs. All of my army is mobile, the Redemptor and Chronus in Prep are in fact those who least like to move. It opens really flexible playstyles. Gunlines against melee rushes and aggressive plays against static opponents.

I am favouring having a fire base, a mid range force and an attack force at various points levels.

Fire bases consist of a Devastator squad or 2 and a Venerable Dreadnought with lascannon and missile launcher, supported by a Lieutenant.

This is very similar to my gunline, Cap. You must miss the re-roll to hits though (maybe I'm just spoiled)? The dreadnought stratagem can help shore this up but is expensive if you're running it all game. 

The point of my list is I can do quite a lot on the table, especially with Maelstrom of War games since we've found those games in our group most interesting and balanced. This flexibility also means I can take the lists to tournaments and not be blown away.

As other armies get Codex books, a more tactical play might do you well as standing at the back shooting is paper rock scissors.

This is more where I'm hoping to develop my list, I just got a landraider and want to try building a list with it as my centerpiece. I feel that having it driving up the board will take pressure off of my support units. I also want to try a more tactical heavy list, however, only having two 5-man squads makes me have to play extremely conservatively with them or I risk losing my ObSec.

Obviously the best way to play UM is 3 Las Mortis contemptors, 3 grav bombard leviathans, Roboute, and a obligatory hq/techmarine in a spearhead.

Or Razorbacks, Preds, The Primarch, a stormraven and/or Land Raider with Chronus in a Spearhead.

So... the thing I'm getting from this is to grab Guilleman haha. I'm pretty sure he promotes gunlines even more though! I love that dread list though, that sounds like a blast.

You might look into Primaris. They do not really have long ranged options like Devs. All of my army is mobile, the Redemptor and Chronus in Prep are in fact those who least like to move. It opens really flexible playstyles. Gunlines against melee rushes and aggressive plays against static opponents.

Yeah! I'm slowly building my dark imperium set on the side and would like to try out the new marines! I've even thought of mixing in a intercessor squad for backfield objectives. People keep saying that hellblasters are amazing but they just seem to desperately need a transport to ensure they can survive to get into range!

I came up with a themed list for 2000 points, based of the old 1st company strike team Ultra! Just need a raven.

2 - 5 man terminator squads w/ ac

2 - 5 man thunder hammer assault terminators

1 - Venerable Dread (thinking of trying an ironclad)

1- Apothecary

1 - Land Raider Godhammer w/ mm

1 - Stormraven w/ ac, mm, hb's

1 - Sergenat Chronus

1 - Chaplain

Two vanguard detachments, extremely elite force. Not competitive, but would be a blast to run! Very glass cannon!

I'm planning to try a blitzkrieg approach with a lot of Assault weapons,, even on the characters to keep up with their auras.

Advance aggressively while laying down fire - even if it's suppressive it gets you there faster.  Charge into melee if the odds are good, or take the charge and rely on the attrition of a round of overwatch and the next round of falling back and firing.

I am imagining that the maneuverability of such an army would be unlike any other.  Perhaps the mounted tactics of White Scars or the mobile assaults of the Raven Guard might compare, but neither of those is quite the highly mobile gunline that Ultramarines can deliver.

What assault weapons do we have access to? I presume you're taking a marching Primaris army?

I found falling back out of close combat to be quite useful especially for our Rapid Firing models. I even used it with my Contemptor to good effect versus Tyranids.

Taking your guys suggestions about guilleman and being more mobile, and trying to work in a forgeworld item I've ordered here a list I came up with this morning

Ultramarines Battalion Detachment w/ Super-Heavy Auxillary

1500 pts. / 9 cp

Battalion

HQ

1- Captain (MC Bolter, Power Fist)

2- Lieutenant (MC Bolter, Power Fist)

Troops

1- 5 Man Tac Squad (Grav-gun)

- Razorback (TL Assault Cannon)

2- 5 Man Tac Squad (Grav-gun)

3- 5 Man Tac Squad (Grav-gun)

Flyer

1- Stormtalon Gunship (TL Assault Cannon, 2x Lascannon)

2- Xiphon Interceptor (Xiphon Missile Battery, 2x TL Lascannon)

Super-Heavy Auxillary

1-Roboute Guilleman

1499 pts. total

It's a little spammy, but provides me with plenty of re-rolls and high damage weapons. Only thing I'm on the fence about is if the Captain and Lieutenant are even necessary or if I should try to get a librarian for psychic defense.

What do you guys think? Too try-hard?

Yeah the santic halo is what I've usually ran with.

I'm just wondering if having guilleman kind of deafeats the purpose of taking the captain and lieutenant combo, just doing it to be more flexable. Starting to think that taking a librarian with might of heroes to buff guilleman might just be better, I'll have to try it out a few times.

Ultramarines are "Space Marines" and as such have a stat line that is competent in both range and melee. The advantage to shooting is lack of commitment. If you pick a target shooting, and kill it, then your next shooting unit can shoot something else without penalty. If you dedicate two units to one assault, and the first unit annihilates the enemy, the second unit is left standing there.

One of the reasons I like terminators is that they can do shooting, and also do melee.

Having about fifty terminators is a motivation to use them of course.

Yeah!

While I've definitely been running my Ultras as a more shooting oriented force, which is how I see them, I've added in a unit of shooty terminators when I upped my points from 1000-1500. I still see tactical terminators as a more assault focused unit, but when they drop in as a counter charge element with 16 bolter shots and 6 assault cannon shots they can still thin hordes from range. I bet they'll be helping to dissuade the enemy from charging blindly at my gunline. At the very least, that's one big speedbump for most assault armies to get past.