Ork Clan Traits

toaae

With everyone getting their own sub-faction traits (looking at you, upcoming AdMech codex and your different forgeworlds), I think it's a foregone conclusion that we'll see the return of the Ork clans! Furthermore, we'll probably get clan Warlord traits and strategems. Truly, once our codex arrives, we'll be gaming in an enlightened age.

So, what do you gits wanna see? As my boyz are painted red, and I'm the topic maker, I'm going with what I think is the easiest one: da Evil Sunz. I fully expect to see a trait much like the white scars, IE, bonuses to advance and the ability to charge after falling back. Maybe they don't give it to the whole army, like the Scars do, on account of our superiority in CC and rerolls to charge making the ability far better for orks than it is for Marines. Maybe Evil Sunz vehicles (or just Trukks and Battlewagons) always move 6" for advancing, and Evil Sunz Warbikers can shoot and charge after falling back.

I feel this would be very fluffy (especially as past codices have mentioned bikers like to charge through their enemies, so they can swing around and do it again), provide a strong trait while not being grossly overpowered.

For Warlord traits, I could see the boss's WAAAGH!!! ability extending to bikers and possibly trukks/battlewagons, and for a stratagem, I'd like to see the return of the Evil Sunz pre-game bombardment.

So, what do you lot think? What traits do you expect or hope to see for da Ork clans?

Edited by toaae

I think you've got some interesting ideas there. I collect Blood Axes but I'm not sure what tactics suit them. When I think of Blood Axes I think of Kommandos, then Stormboys (because of the background of them being rebelliously organized) then after that Looted Tanks (since they like to emulate other the tactics of other races collecting their vehicles makes some sense). I wouldn't really know what to boost because I don't know how 8th edition rules work right now. Right now my army is pretty much a Dread mob so it probably wouldn't help me much. :P

I'll be interested to see how they do Snakebites. Currently their defining traits in the background is they don't like technology and they do like units that aren't currently in the book. Given that GW isn't currently in the habit of excluding units from sub-factions, I wonder what we will see. Perhaps play up the tough, deliberately bitten by snakes aspect and give them an Iron Hands style bonus save?

If Clan rules are meant to drive sales then there will be a need for new models as well as rules. Snakebites could  be good if that was something GW was ready to invest in.  
I'm not really sure I care about any particular clan over another. I'll probably play Goffs as I have 240 slugga boys built and painted.  Unless the cost for boys goes up.  The only thing I'm interested to see is new models.  I'd like to see Ard' boys come back. 

If there was a way for GW to expand their line of Ork miniatures wit the least amount of effort, it might be good.

I play Bonesplitterz and that's driven by 1 box of guys on foot and 1 of guys riding boars and 3 character models. Basically nothing but left over repackaged models. 
I'd like to see cyboars come back. I'd like to see Mad boys and cyborks too.  I'd like an Old School Pulsa-rokit. 

I saw some pictures somewhere of Ork squig riders. I think that would be a great way to bring Snakebite Orks back to the forefront. They would probably fit the background slightly better since Orks finding and spreading wild boars across the galaxy in the 40k setting always seemed a bit strange to me. I personally prefer to put my faith in Ork technology but I'd like to see Snakebites become relevant again for other players to get into.

Maybe Snakebites can trade sluggas for additional choppas, basically giving them an extra attack? Would need something else as well, cause that wouldn't be much for a trait. Or maybe it would, since Orks hit on 3s in combat.

My Predictions:

All Traits for Infantry, Bikes and Walkers only

Goffs: +1 Attack for the turn if the model charged

Blood Axes: -1 to hit for enemies targeting a unit with trait 12"+ away

Evil Sunz: +2" if Advancing (Bikes Advance 8" total) and can charge after falling back

Bad Moons: If rolling 6+ on a hit roll, roll for another attack with the same weapon. Probably Sluggas/Shootas and variants only or so.

Snakebites: Reroll Charge Distance

Deathskulls: 6+ Feel no Pain (War Paint)

I assume GW will recycle the traits for all armies with few exceptions. Makes balancing way easier.

My Predictions:

All Traits for Infantry, Bikes and Walkers only

Goffs: +1 Attack for the turn if the model charged

Blood Axes: -1 to hit for enemies targeting a unit with trait 12"+ away

Evil Sunz: +2" if Advancing (Bikes Advance 8" total) and can charge after falling back

Bad Moons: If rolling 6+ on a hit roll, roll for another attack with the same weapon. Probably Sluggas/Shootas and variants only or so.

Snakebites: Reroll Charge Distance

Deathskulls: 6+ Feel no Pain (War Paint)

I assume GW will recycle the traits for all armies with few exceptions. Makes balancing way easier.

That Snakebite trait would be a bit of a kick in the balls since Orks already have a rule called 'Ere We Go that does the same thing. I agree though, I expect a fair few recycled traits, stratagems etc.